Safety On Coasters

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
John

I'm the opposite, half the time i forget the belt is there until i can't get the restraint to open.

I can't say I've ever felt the urge to undo it, its rather nice having the back up of a manual failsafe.
Jnewcombe

i never have the urge to undo the belt untill the end because i know its there as a fail safe system to keep you self safe if things goes wrong
42% of Statistics are made up on the spot!
Tom M

Me neither Jnewcombe, I mean a lot of us have seen Final Destination 3. :P
I always undo it in the brake run, it does actually tell you to anyway on the signs at the side.
terrys

[quote=""duckman""]I'm the opposite, half the time i forget the belt is there until i can't get the restraint to open. [/quote]

remember hearing last year an experienced ride op (of about 5 years) was on a flat ride with over shoulder restaints. think he was having a blonde moment when he couldn't get the restaint to open so calls for a mechanic. the mech comes over, walks into the centre of the ride spots a restraint down with the belt done up, so unclips it."whats the problem then?" how much of an idiot must he have felt?

i wouldn't bother undoing the belt, there may be there as a last resort, but the chances of ever needing them are so remote with the safety factors used in the engineering that i wouldn't worry if they weren't fitted atall
Last edited by terrys on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

I've never had this urge. I don't understand it - it wouldn't enhance your ride at all, it just means that if the restraints fail and come up, you'll die! :) It's a failsafe and that's why the ride hosts do their checks on the belts...
Doopy Dan

I've never had this urge. I don't understand it - it wouldn't enhance your ride at all, it just means that if the restraints fail and come up, you'll die! Smile It's a failsafe and that's why the ride hosts do their checks on the belts...
Maybe its the danger that could happen that makes doing this so fun, lol.
Adam

Not really understanding this topic, i don't see the appeal of removing your backup living plan.

I guess people are diffrent. . . :wink:
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Doopy Dan

Its like jumping out of planes, speding on motorcycles without a helmet, B.A.S.E jumping, there all things that have a high danger risk in them, which alot of people like me see it as an element of fun. As the element of danger in things makes doing things alot more fun.
Ruby

Maybe its something to do with the adrenaline rush and not feeling as safe as you should be :?

I for one wouldnt want to leave it undone or undo it while riding as ive found out i value my life a little more than i first thought before reading this thread :|
Ash

I personally think it is a tad stupid to be honest!

Maybe leave your harness open a little bit to get a bit more movement but you wouldnt fall out if the harness was on.
Anonymous

I just think it's a little silly. If the harnesses fail, you would suddenly wish you hadn't undone your seat belt just before you fall to your death!

Doesn't really seem worth it. If I saw somebody speeding on a motorbike with no helmet, I'd just think they were stupid idiots or something.

As for jumping out of planes - skydiving is very safe.

I know it's unlikely to happen, but it just doesn't seem worth risking your life for a couple of minutes of extra thrill.
Ruby

Call me mad, but i prefer to be strapped in tight, but thats another thread altogether :twisted: Seriosly though, i agree with Kaycee
themeparkfreak

im with ruby, I like being strapped in tight to, ive never had the urge to undo my belt.