The Haunted House (Rethemed)

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
likemike

When did you go on the Haunted House and what year?

I went in March 2001.

always look at the date on the ride photo when it was taken that'll juice up some memories.

---- Post Info Added ----

This is a bit strange and unsual the Skeleton Bill effect used to have a wig on his hair in the photo but now he appears to be wearing a cap when were on duel.

---- Post Info Added ----

I agree with you there the theme isn't bad on duel and gloomy wood of course but i prefer the older versions back in the days it used to be classy and clear. As it explains the whole atmosphere on the ride

but to Duel well........ its a bit crap aswell and since i was on the fourms the effects i heard of the rumours about the ride that the demon effect had fallen down overnight. Anyway back to Duel the ride isn't bad neither the music. Its the effects, they don't go with the atmosphere and they mostly took off the haunted house effects and replaced the old effects by adding newer ones for example the giant was good because it had its fingers that crashed out the windows and it looked as if they were gonna get us but it was all a big scare.

next thing the demons (same place, replaced by the Zombies) they had gnashing teeth and they did much of the scaring by making sort of like a hissing cat noise.
MichaelBoyd
AltonTowersNerd

[quote="NickReid"]

Excellent ride photo, if i come across my ride photos from 2001-07 (if I find them) i'll share them online; one of the ride ride photos is the Haunted House.
Last edited by AltonTowersNerd on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scooby252

I remember the little walk through haunted house attraction I think back in 1993
I don't belong to the smiler , I belong to the mrs
Themeparksandy1981

AltonTowersNerd wrote:
NickReid wrote: Image

Excellent ride photo, if i come across my ride photos from 2001-07 (if I find them) i'll share them online; one of the ride ride photos is the Haunted House.
Was this the first place where you had your photo taken? I remember it at the end when that monster came out of the hole.
PeteB

The ride photo point was indeed originally in the skeleton/ghost corridor, where Electric Bill stands and plunges the house into darkness, though I cannot remember what the "ghotcha" moment was to get your reaction.

These photographs must have been taken in the first season of the Haunted House, 1992, because the ghost corridor didn't last long at all due to failing mechanisms. It was converted to skeleton scenes very early on and around the same time the swamp monster in the garden was removed and placed inside a wall just before the station at the end. This was then the effect that popped out for the "ghotcha" photo moment that most people remember.

I've got some photo's myself which I should dig out and scan. This has all just reminded me how genuinely scary the original Haunted House used to be, despite being a family ride. I was always fascinated by it from the very first time I went on.
AltonTowersNerd

NickReid wrote: Image

i think mine wins haha

only joking x
Nice one :)
AltonTowersNerd

Anyone know if the outside of the house is just a house, some people see it as a mansion.
Last edited by AltonTowersNerd on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheOutpatient

I think its just a big Elizabethan house but (I think) its sort of made up aswell. I'm not sure you would see a turret on house like that for instance.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
bensaund

Anyone else notice there are 6 people in that car where as now there are only 5 seats due to 'blasters'
If you go down to the woods today
audiobookman

The original haunted house was made to look like the front of the swiss cottage in the gardens.

Dom

theres only 1 thing i remember about the haunted house.it was that really creepy face near that opened up and that tongue with teeth came up. that scared the begebuse out of me
TheOutpatient

my friends really laughed at that.
it used to be in the garden and it had smaller faces inside it.

What is on the front of the trains? Is it some kind of cat face?
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
lf2001

I think the Haunted House was a great ride. Now Duel has taken over, I think it has became a lot worse to what it used to be. I don't get scared on Duel, or feel like I'm in a haunted house, where as I used to on the Haunted House. I'd prefer it if it had just stayed as the Haunted House.
lucozade

Duel is ready for the bin. Its being run down badly. Half the original haunted house fx no linger work, the smell has gone, the ride speed/slowing has changed. John would be disappointed to see what his theatrical masterpiece has become. :no:

I think with John retiring, we won't see another truly scary dark ride at AT for a very long time.