The Flyers Thread

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ketchup

Ok, i've noticed that in quite a few threads people don't seem to acknowledge the Vekoma Flyer's as the first flying roller-coasters. However I have to disagree with this, so what if they leave the station in a laydown position. Most of the ride layout (Minus the lifthill) is in the flying position.

People argue that the B&M version is a true flyer mainly due to the fact it is always in the flying position, however going by the theory what some people think about the Vekoma Flying-Dutchman. Air isn't always in the position is it?
You sit in the ride seat and then it enters the position as you leave the station. Surely this is similar to what people say about the Vekoma model, not being in the position around the ride course.

So out of intrest do you consider the Vekoma model to be the first flyer, or the B&M or do you consider neither to be the first true flying roller-coaster?

Personally I reckon why so many people on TTF don't seem to be fans of the Dutchman, mainly because it beat Air to being the first flyer. And down to the Alton bias on the forum, thats why people tend to dislike them here.

Anyway Discuss.
Anonymous

You are wrong mate.

This was the first ever TRUE flyer.

http://rcdb.com/id2380.htm
Ketchup

I was actually going to bring that up.

But the fact that it didn't even open propelly doesn't really cement it as being the first.
It also looks like something an 8 year old designed.

http://rcdb.com/id2390.htm

This could also argubly be called the first flyer
Anonymous

"The ride was scheduled to open the summer of 1997, but troubles delayed it's opening. It briefly opened in October of 1997. The roller coaster opened in 1998, but Granada Studios then closed the same season. The ride was later scrapped."

It did open so is was the worlds first.
Liam

The main reason I class the B&M as the 1st Flyer is simply because the Flying-Dutchman looks horribly ugly. In reality flight is a beautiful process and so a coaster that has to lie upside down before it can fly is cheating, since you never see a bird fly upside-down to be able to turn to fly correctly.
Ketchup

It is the worlds first but would you even class it as a flyer? It is literally a hammock on wheels.

I mean rcdb classes this as a flyer
http://rcdb.com/id2390.htm

Would you?
Anonymous

Ketchup this was the first - http://rcdb.com/id2380.htm

It opend in 1997 when the above was in 1998!
Beaver Dude

I agree that the AIR wasn't the first true flyer but Air was never advertised as the first flying coaster anyway. It was advertised as a new generation flying coaster. But I'm not really sure if the Flying Dutchman is a true flyer and tbh I don't really care. Plus I don't think the Vekoma model is that ugly just look at this one: http://www.rcdb.com/ig2514.htm.

So perhaps JW wasted 8 years developing Air as the Vekoma one would've been just as good even if the B&M version might be more comfortable.
Last edited by Beaver Dude on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchup

I wasn't saying that!

I was saying would you really class that as being a flyer? I was saying would you classify either of them as being flyers.
I've seen pictures of it and it really does look like a hammock on steroids which has grown wheels!

Unfortunately www.ukrides.info is down but that site had good pictures of Skytrak.
Ketchup

^ and your point is?
Anonymous

Vekomas flyer is really classed as a lay down coaster.
Anonymous

Yep. ^^ I think it is universally acknowledged that the Vekoma Flying Dutchmans are a bit of a 'cheat'. In my eyes, B&M came up with the idea and formula for the first true flying coaster. The others came close, but didn't quite get it if you ask me.
Phil

I was lucky enough to get on Skytrak at the studios. It was a very long wait but the ride was very good. The loading and unloading was painfully slow! The ride experience was very similar to Air's. But Air is obviously bigger and better.

Vekoma's dutchmans are cheats! B&M did all the hard work.
Wortho

how are vekoma's dutchmans cheats, they have more or less the same type of retraints as B&M's (chest and ankle locks) and for nearly all of the ride except for the hill lift and the inversions you are in the flying positions. theres no cheating in that, imo B&M copied vekoma's train style as they are more or less the same, so B&M must be the cheats to copy vekoma. IMO vekoma's flying dutchman was the first flying coaster to be put into major commercial use.
Vik

I also rode skytrak, didnt really look much watching it, but was quite good riding it, even if I did have to wait an age for it.

Cant remember the advertising for this ride, did they advertise it as the UK's 1st flying coaster?
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

CGM

I am completeley unbiased on this subject because believe it or not, both Paramount's Great America and Alton Towers have sentimental value to me. PGA was one of the places I visited when I was younger on our annual trip to California and I have great memories of the place. And the same goes for AT.

I think that realisticly, PGA beat Alton Towers to it even though the ride has been moved. But this depends if you interprate the loading being in the inverted/flying possition and the lift hill being flying, which it might. So I'm still undecided on the matter.
X_da_C

is batwing a flyer? im sure that starts in the lay down position, super man ultimate flight and air are the 2 best flyers imo.
Anonymous

Anyone have some pictures of skytrack?
CGM

is batwing a flyer?
Yep, I would class it as one anyway