Coaster Direction Out Of Inversions

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
SW-Dave

Why are coasters designed with inversions that roll the same way as the corner they come out of / lead into, it looks weird, and it provides less motion and lateral speed. The trains shoulkd roll the opposite way through an inversion to a corner. I shall demonstrate

HJere is how it should be done, comming out of the right handed wingover, the nemesis train flicks to the right round the helix, making one smooth fast motion out of the inversion into the corner

Heres how it shouldnt be done, look at the last inversion at the back of the picture. It looks awkward and clumsy in comparison, and dosent flow as nicely.

has anyoine else thought about this or am I just nit-picking?

EDIT: Kaycee

Just changed your topic title into something more specific (although mine is pretty crap - it just gives people an idea of what the topic is actually about). :D
Anonymous

I don't get you with the Air picture but I know what you are on about..
Nick

Hmmm...i quite like the look of that corner after the inversion on air, i actually think it flows out of the inversion into the corner quite well
Adam

I know what you mean, but i dont think its a problem. Dosent make the ride any better or worse so i dont really care about which way a corner goes.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Anonymous

I suppose that, so long as it gives a comfortable ride, it's okay. Air goes pretty slowly so the change of direction after the inversion isn't such a problem. I'd imagine if that were part of Nemesis' track, it would be rather uncomfortable, thrown to one side then suddenly to the other.
Adz
Admin
Admin

It depends really, Nemesis is supposed to be really intense, so it does a move intense move, Air however is supposed to simulate flying, so doing that and turning straight round into the corner is more suitable for that type of ride i would imagine.
Anonymous

I can see what you mean, Dave, but I don't think Air's inline twist there looks awkward. I think if a trains flows out of an inversion into the same direction it entered, then it looks like it flows more, looks more impressive.

But of course, Nemesis riders will know how intense that helix is after the first Wing Over, so you have got a point. As Shockadelica said, Air's inline twist probably suits Air as the roller-coaster it is, slow and serene, while Nemesis puts your theory into perfect practice. :D
Josh

I think, if you're coming to quickly out of the drop, then you cant suddenly change direction, you really need to keep it all heartlined, otherwise you will get to many lat g's.
It also provides a smoother ride as you're not going from way to another.

hope you get what i mean, not to good on explaining things.
X_da_C

its all to do with the speed and g-forces, im sure the designers carefuly considerd every aspect of the track design before finalising it. and this is what they thought works best.
CGM

One way to another does flow better bwcause going the same way as you just have out of a corkscrew just doesn't make sense.

With the roll on Air, it levels out before the corner so I don't think that this is a particuarly good example.

Now officialy avatarised!