The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
I_love_at

i went to the american adventure park yesturday and i thought it was dump. the twin looper didnt have a lick of paint on it nor did the skycoaster. even the buffalo stampede coaster didnt have a lick of paint. the lap bars on the yankee clipper were to long cus they squashed my stomach and it hurt luckerly i was ok. when i had my lunch i ordered a chicken hot dog, it didnt taste of chicken at all it tasted like an ordanary hot dog. also most of the rides were run by teenagenrs and the operaters didnt sound friendly when they were telling wat u couldnt do on it like standup on ride etc. i left after 3 hours of being there. after all that i just felt as though i was treated like scum! :x :x :x
Joe Wareham

I dont know.American Adventure isnt too bad.I live quite close to it and it does have some quite good rides.In my opinion their 2 water rides (log flume and rapids) are better than the ones at Alton.Skycoaster and Missile are quite good thrill rides.But i do agree that the park staff are very rude and un friendly.
Squiggles

apparently (according to peeps at Rideas) there's a chance that AA will be closing at the end of the season. Unless they build a holiday village, that well known way to save a flagging theme park. :lol: :shock: :roll:
Edwardo..... move me!
Alton Boy

its nice jus needs cash i think....did'nt sum guy that was linked with AT come in on a five year project them left after the first two or summit? i mite be wrong is it amican or english owned?
Squiggles

That's true. I think it was John Broome went to AA for 2 years, he had a master plan to add 2 more coasters a woodie and a steelie, and turn the park into a round the world themed. However he only added one ride, the v. bad flying island, and then left.

I would think that if AA does go up for sale it'll be Six Flags' stepping stone into the UK. As it's quite a big site and isn't too picky with it planning permission (it's a ex quarrey, like TP is).
Edwardo..... move me!
Anonymous

god.... it has been donkers time since i have been there, 10 years +, but i couldn't go on most of the rides back then
Joe Wareham

[quote=""Squiggles""]apparently (according to peeps at Rideas) there's a chance that AA will be closing at the end of the season. . :lol: :shock: :roll:[/quote]

i doubt this will happen
Squiggles

It's looking more likely it will close. There are people looking to buy it and redevelop it as more of a trill ride park then a coaster park, so it's not all bad.
Edwardo..... move me!
Colossus

It would and should be the ideal opportunity for 6 flags to enter the UK amusement park industry. They do not have problems with planning permission. In the middle of the country. Time for some huge rides ?

How about Six Flags Over England. !!!
Squiggles

I think that's where AA is currently running into problems, the locals round AA are even worse then those at AT.
Edwardo..... move me!
Colossus

I thought the problems they had were financing, as they have put in some rides which are quite large. Take the Sky coaster. Must be over 150ft.

Missile is 120ft+. They are in an old quarry so the planning permission isnt that bad.

The problems what they have had that I have heard is trying to get permission to have a market / car boot in the car park during the close season

Can you imagine a six flags park in there ?
Colossus

I thought the problems they had were financing, as they have put in some rides which are quite large. Take the Sky coaster. Must be over 150ft.

Missile is 120ft+. They are in an old quarry so the planning permission isnt that bad.

The problems what they have had that I have heard is trying to get permission to have a market / car boot in the car park during the close season

Can you imagine a six flags park in there ?
Squiggles

Financing is only one of the problems.

It isn't the hight of the ride that is in question, but the noise. The Sky Coaster was allowed because it is a quiet ride so the locals won't hear it. The Missile was one of the earliest rides there so it was probably built before any questions of noise were raised.

As for it being in an old quarry, that also causes a problem. It is actually an old quarrey, which hasn't been used for over 20 years and is actually now a nature reserve. And the locals also use this as an objection to new rides, since they may affect the new local nature. (although this arguement is really a load of balony as if the local nature didn't like the rides it would have moved elsewhere.

AA's problems are long and twisted!!
Edwardo..... move me!
Colossus

I didnt realise the amount of problems they had.

Its sad to hear all of these UK parks having financial problems. The AA, Camelot etc

We need a Six Flags !! LOL
Squiggles

I think Six Flags have already turned down AA due to lack of potencial. However Camelot I think they might well take on as it doesn't tend to have quite so many problems and most people reckon it has a lot of potencial with some investment. That and it's meant to be closing within 5 years without help.
Edwardo..... move me!
Colossus

I had heard that Camelot had had problems putting in a new coaster. They wanted to replace the Tower of Terror with a larger coaster but was turned down.
Squiggles

That was true, but I think there was something else going on at the park at the time which caused all sorts of other problems as well. I'm not sure how much of it was planning problems and how much was management problems.
Edwardo..... move me!
Colossus

I have just looked on Joylands site re the coaster that they tried to get installed at Camelot and according to them they were going to install a Vekoma Invertigo, but was refused planning permission, without it going to appeal.
Alton Boy

I never been to camalot cud someone give me a ride gide? and park map size? plus a website? :?: :lol:

Thanks
Joe Wareham

Even though its built on a nature reserve i dont think planning permission is too difficult for them to get.
The locals wouldnt coplain too much because it used to be a huge open cast mine so that would have made loads of noise.
Also expanding the park would make lots of jobs which is needed because in this area of derbyshire there is massive unemployment.