The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
darrenhosker

I live in Shipley in Bradford and I can't really recall a reservoir, that doesn't mean that there hasnt been one in the past thought as there has been a lot of development in the past and the photo is quite old.

Also I thought that AA was a quarry before a Theme Park and before the quarry it was just greenland, the lake was formed as a result of filling in the quarry in the 80's after it closed. This picture I would say was taken in the early 1900's so this couldn't be the AA Lake.

Dazza
haydn!

No, its not the actuall AA lake we're talking about, I believe the one people are refering to is the one that is actually in Shipley Country park? Or i could be wrong
Sazzle

No it is the actual American Adventure lake we're referring to, but to the bottom end that's closest to the nature reserve Pauls Arm (around the corner from the new entrance).

If you're at all familiar with the area then you'll know it's possible to stand in the apparent spot where that photograph was taken. Whether or not it is, is a different matter. I may well take a toddle on over to the site in the image and collect some *then and now* type photos on Friday.

IMO I think it may well be the spot, but as someone pointe dout earlier, AA used to be a quarry. Whether it was a reservoir before this time remains to be seen.
colin_p

IMO I think it may well be the spot, but as someone pointe dout earlier, AA used to be a quarry. Whether it was a reservoir before this time remains to be seen.
It is my understanding there has been an area of water here for some time. Open-cast coal mining (technically this is quarrying, but for coal!) has completely changed the landscape to the east and south of the park, so it is very difficult to tell how it used to be. As the land was part of the Shipley Hall estate a lake is likely as a standard feature of a large estate, a status symbol if you like!

I recall a reference to the lake being made bigger after mining somewhere but I can't think where. Also, somewhere I have seen a map from the 70s which definately shows water here, It might be at my dad's, I'll check next time I go.

The bridges at the bottom of the lake are very old and obviously crossed water courses. The abutments where you now go into the park took the same roadway over a railway line, the Great Northern Railway branch to Heanor (from Ilkeston). This would have seperated a then slightly smaller lake from the Woodside colliery sidings on the other side, probably at a higher level. The course of the railway north of the park is still shown on maps, I keep promising myself that one day I will have to investigate the area!

A quick search found this page: http://www.canals.btinternet.co.uk/canals/nutbrook.htm and from it:

"Shipley Hall used to stand on the land over to the west. The hall itself was demolished long ago and the estate was taken over by the NCB. However, the land is now part of Shipley Country Park and the remains of the hall are open to the public. There are two large stretches of water in the this area, both of which once supplied the canal. To the west is Mapperley Reservoir while to the east is Shipley Lake. The latter is now within the grounds of the American Adventure theme park. "

Good luck with the photos Sarah, this could get interesting!

Edit: Definately water there in 1887. From http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ (it's like an olde worlde multimap!!):
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/oldmaps/index ... untyCode=8

Select the Derbyshire option given. Interestingly this map shows very little coliery development. The big blacked out area appears on the Nottinghamshire map, as the county boundary would have been different back then.
Sazzle

Okay the photos have been taken and are currently at home waiting to be uploaded to my computer. I may have to scale them down for them to be accessable by everyone, but if a full sized image is required don't hesitate to mail/MSN me and request.

I also took some images of the are propsed for development by AA, and I must say you may be quite shocked at the expanse of land under question. I certainly was when I actually took a look at the area from a high vantage point. I'm certainly aiming to put the images online before tomorrow night, with th Goose Fairs pictures shortly afterwards. (Bear in mind I have to create a whole new webpage/thumbnail view and uploading schedule etc)

Oh, and I also have a picture proving that AA security really does exist - they caught two truanting youngsters while I was on my trip :P
--------------------------------------

Edit: Site now ready http://www.freewebs.com/angels_whisper/

'The Path' page shows how the reservoirs may be the same.

Enjoy :)
Adz
Admin
Admin

http://www.freewebs.com/angels_whisper/35.jpg
did you notice American adventure cant spell American. :wink:
colin_p

did you notice American adventure cant spell American
:lol: Time to shoot the signwriter.....

Anyone else notice that JCB World is missing from the park map?
http://www.freewebs.com/angels_whisper/38.jpg

I like the idea of the extra spaces on the ride open/closed board, just imagine if they all became rides! Yeah, right.....

I'm convinced that the old B&W picture is Shipley, Derbyshire. Maybe we need to call in Baldrick and the Time Team to sort this one out... that landscape surveyor bloke would easily tell if it was the same location.
Sazzle

I recently emailed the park, notifying them of the spelling mistake on the board outside of the park. I received a reply, thanking me for my time - but asking me where I got my authorisation from to put the images online! Well, that's customer service for you, turning down free marketing! I currently await my reply, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to take me to court and sue me, what with their apparent lack of cash.

I hadn't noticed the removal of JCB world from the park map, maybe this is a hint at something for the future? Either that or they couldn't be bothered to update the map..

Just a question, has anyone ever visited the park for their fireworks display?
bigblade40

does anyone know why AA's website say 'You are not authorised to view this page' when you try to access it? Good marketing skills as usual!!!

Next year sounds promising, even if it is only a new pirate ship it will still be the first major improvement to the park in years.

You never know we may get: Nigntmare Niagra - Unplugged by Tesco Basics Bath Soap!!!!!
bigblade40
Sazzle

It must be those dodgy sign writers... They've had an upgrade and are taking the liberty to prevent people seeing their very unfortunate mis-spelling of 'Amercian Adventure'.

Honestly, I've no idea. I'm inclined to be very skeptical of any plans concerning AA, as in the past they've proved to be extremely disappointing in the 'new attractions' department. Think JCB world, "3D" cinema, SkyBouncer etc.

And I wouldn't laugh at the idea of NN being sponsored, it may well happen what with the MG system :roll:. Only, it'd be "Tesco Value-19p-non-foaming-bath-bubbles-as-we-can't-afford-anything-else Nightmare Niagara".
Sazzle

Okay, so Yankee Clipper has been dismantled, as posted on ATA by on_the_line/WillPS.

Will we see the replacement or rejuvenation of the ride?
Adam

sarah have you got the e-mail address for the park please i wanted to inquire about something.

Thanks, :D :D :D
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Sazzle

I wouldn't get your hopes up for an answer either, they are highly stuck up when asked about park information, especially future developments.

Or, you could just get an email asking you where you got the authority to take pictures, or get permission to put them online!! :evil: :evil:

Okay, maybe that's just me then... :whistle:
Adam

cheers dudes :D :D :D :D :D :D
Adam

they havent replyed to mine yet :( :( :(
spark

[quote=""WillPS""][quote=""Sarah-TTF""]I wouldn't get your hopes up for an answer either, they are highly stuck up when asked about park information, especially future developments.

Or, you could just get an email asking you where you got the authority to take pictures, or get permission to put them online!! :evil: :evil:

Okay, maybe that's just me then... :whistle:[/quote]

I eat my words!
They replied to an email I sent this afternoon within 10 mins of me sending it.[/quote]

What did you ask?

With regards to this path, After looking are your pictures sarah on your web site I studied the picture which you have ringed. The path which is on the left of the fence seems like it could be the path in the old picture, Could it be possible that the paths have been re-routed and the land that is now the AA cut across the old path?

I think thats clear #-o
spark

I can answer the 1st and 2nd point lol

No and No

Its a shame because like i have said before there is a good basis for a decent park to grow out of what is there at the moment.

If they replaced the pirate ship with a drop tower (no height issue there!) they could theme it as a totem pole or something
Adam

well the ship has been taken down now hasnt it? so maybe that will either (knowing AA) just left as nothing there for ever or replaced with a new one or maybe we will see a BRAND NEW ride to hit AA.

How many years is it now sinse the last FREE ride was installed, not including that stupid sky thing that has now left because it kept messing up? the last think i can recall was either tho motion master upgrade to the indian jones temple thing (1998) or maybe something sooner but what? :? :?
colin_p

well the ship has been taken down now hasnt it? so maybe that will either (knowing AA) just left as nothing there for ever or replaced with a new one or maybe we will see a BRAND NEW ride to hit AA.
I would have thought that most gondola type rides are taken down at some point over closed season for engineering checks etc. Normally it is nothing, but I think in this instance, with the ride having had troubles this year, it may lead to more...

That said, the park simply may not have the funding to replace it straight away - I noticed on Rideas last week the oft quoted untruth that the park had £15m to spend now the holiday park was off - NO! That money would have been put up by potential investors for the sole purpose of the holiday plan, and will not be available now that the plan is off. The only way to get that money is for the park to come up with a new investment plan, which I'm sure they are fully aware of!

I have noticed in the past that the park often doesn't start to install new rides until well into the season, to me this indicates that the money is not there in the off-season to invest in new rides. At least the maintenance side doesn't seem to be over-neglected, I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the two railroad trains with a fresh coat of paint. I'm almost tempted to e-mail the park and ask if the original names/numbers and lettering will be replaced at long last. Might also be worth pointing out that the stock will stay in better condition if they build a shed to keep it in too :)

, not including that stupid sky thing that has now left because it kept messing up?
Really :?: :?: ..

:( Awwwwww, that ride was class. Expensive yeh, but cool. Do you know what kept happening to it.