The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Squiggles

No, they do. They would prefer to have the whole of the old mine as a nature reserve, like the parts that AA isn't on.

Just to add to AA's worries it appear the park is subsiding. The original enterance (which was not unlike Towers Street) had to be closed because it and all the buildings (typical money grabbing shops and alike) are gradually falling into an old mineshaft.
Edwardo..... move me!
Joe Wareham

Are you sure?
When the park moved the entrance down to the bottom next to the twin looper they said that it was because that was where the car park was.
Most of the car park is down at the bottom where the new entrance is so it makes more sense to have it there. When the old entrance was open you had to arrive really early to get a parking space right next to the entrance.Everybody else had to wak up that huge steep hill.So i think thats why they moved the entrance-not because it was sinking.
Joe Wareham

And also the buildings cant be falling in to an old mine shaft because some of them are still used as staff rooms and it is still the entrance where the park staff go in.If it was falling in to an old mine shaft it would be unsafe to let them do this.
Joe Wareham

[quote=""Alton Boy""]I never been to camalot cud someone give me a ride gide? and park map size? plus a website? :?: :lol:

Thanks[/quote]

i dont think Camerlot has a website.
i tried searching once and got nothing.
I_love_at

i didnt know aa had all these probs. but i hope i does close and may be disney could buy it. imagin coming up to the park and seeing the disney castle and or if your coming over the hills and you might be able to see the castle. also it will create millions of jobs and the tourism industry would be booming.

here is the websitwe for camelot
http://www.camelotthemepark.co.uk/[/url]
Joe Wareham

Ive always said that the expansion of American Adventure into a world class theme park would create loads of jobs.
The locals who want it all to be a nature reserve are mad.That would create hardly any jobs and as theres so much unemployment in derbyshire thats just what they need.
The locals dont realise that AA expanding will cut crime in their local area too because so fewer people would be unemployed.
To me AA seems the perfect park for expanding.
Squiggles

You like rollercoasters though. The locals like peace and quiet (and burning cars etc.) What's goof for the local economy and what the locals wan't is rarely the same thing. It's a case of NIMBY, they'd like unemployment to go down but not by a theme park in there back yards.

Apprently it won't be long before staff won't be allowed up their either. I think it's a case of delaying the envitable. They moved the enterance because having everyone moving across the area to get into and out of the park would have speeded it all up, while only the staff being allowed up therehas bought the structure a little time. If it had to do with the car parks the enterance would probably never have been up there.
Edwardo..... move me!
Joe Wareham

But you do have to admit ,its alot more convinient to have the entrance down at the bottom where it is today than having to walk all the way up that hill and nearly have a heart attack which is what it was like before the entrance was moved.
Joe Wareham

Also if Tussauds or another major company took over the park to expand it i think theyd use that area up at the top and strenghten its foundations and not put the entrance up there but build a new ride up there or something because theres loads of space up there for potential development.
The car parks are much easier to get to from the new entrance.But its agood thing that only the entrance is sinking and not the missile or log flume because that really would kill the park for good.
Squiggles

Just as long as they build an actual enterance... not porta-cabins. I have to say the original enterance was very nice,I never has a heart attack getting up there. Tread-mill anyone?? (j/k :lol: )
Edwardo..... move me!
Joe Wareham

[quote=""Squiggles""]Just as long as they build an actual enterance... not porta-cabins.[/quote]
Yes thats true the new entrance does look pretty bad.Its not really a warm welcome to the park like the old one was.
Even so,i do think its in a much better place than the old one.I did almost get a heart attack walking up that hill (im not really very fit)
The new entrance was obviously built on a very limited budget as most of their savings would have gone into skycoaster and flying island.
Joe Wareham

And also i forgot to ask about that fountain in the middle of the lake that used to shoot water up into the air like the one at AT hotel.You never see that switched on any more and as aconsequence the lake always looks filthy.
Is it because its broke down or are they doing it to save money.I havent seen nt working since at least 1999.Can anyone explain why this is?
Colossus

Its such a shame about the AA. Its in a prime location. All its needs is a bit of tender loving care

I look back and think that the early 90's was it;s heyday. It should have gone from strength to strength.

Unfortunately it didnt.

It has the basis of a good park. Good Log Flume, Rapids. OK standard coaster in the Missile. Iron Wolf ok.

As I said needs some tlc!!! Is it going to get it. I hope so !!
Squiggles

it needed continuing investment, it didn't get it. Change is the name of the game, and AA hasn't since about 1992.
Edwardo..... move me!
Joe Wareham

This is true. It was a great park when it first opened and in the early 1990s.It looked like it might have great potential. So what went wrong?
Lack of investment like youve said and failure to modernise with the times.When it first opened the missile would have been a modern and exciting new coaster.Since then coaster technology has grealy moved on and they havent changed with the times. The missile is still their main rollecoaster which is advertised thew most but it shouldnt be. Thats the same as AT advertising corcsrew as their main coaster in 2003.
Both corcscrew and missile are great rides but have had their day.
Also when skycoaster opened in 19997 i dont think it was properly themed or publisised.
There were no tv ads for it and it has absolutley no theming.
Considering its the highest in europe it really should have.
Joe Wareham

[quote=""Joe Wareham""]
Also when skycoaster opened in 19997 i dont think it was properly themed or publisised.
[/quote]

Sorry, i meant when skycoaster opened in 1997. Not 19997.
(though youd probably of guessed anyway)But just in case you hadnt.
I_love_at

surely theycould fit some paint in to there budget for sky coaster and twin looper and the buffalo coaster they look awful and gloomy. what does evryone think of that golf chalenge i think its a total rip off no way can you get a golf ball on to that island.
Joe Wareham

Yes youre right about that stupid golf challenge.
Its unlikely the ball will get on to the island but even if it does the park staff will never know because the cctv camera which is on the island is broken. If you look inside the office the screen is blank and its been like that for years now and nobodys bothered to go on to the island to fix it.
I think thats why theres such a high cash prize because its impossible to win on it.
Joe Wareham

Also i forgot to say that idea that John Broome had was a very bad one. He planned to turn the park into a world themed theme park ( a sort of round the world in 1 day type thing)
But surely if he had done this Disneys Epcot could get him sued because its exactly the same idea as epcot.
A number of areas themed as different countries of the world all set around a lake - exactly what Epcot is.
Anonymous

but then doesnt europa park have a simlare themeing?