B&M Discussion

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Anonymous

Bolliger and Mabillard Consulting Engineers filed a patent on May 2nd 2002 for a new type of rollercoaster or a modification of an existing coaster, which could in theory perform the same stunts as Arrow's 4D, except without using extra rails, as it would appear the drawings submitted with the patent show a new way of moving the cars around on the bogies. However, before everyone gets excited it should be noted that this method of turning the cars on their bogies might simply be a new method of loading for B&M's prone (flying) coasters which have experienced many problems with their system of using extra rails which move up and down to tilt the cars.

The drawings focus on the loading of the ride, which would lead one to believe that this patent is for the re-design of the clumsy prone coaster loading procedure (Air's system suffered a snapped lifting bar within the first few days of its operation) - but this idea could easily be adapted for use on a 4D-style B&M ride. Also, just because the patent has been filed, it does not guarantee this design will actually be used.

http://l2.espacenet.com/espacenet/viewe ... =en&DB=EPD

"[ 0007 ] The goal of this invention is to propose a suspended roller coaster in which the passengers can carry out the course along the circuit with the back laid out appreciably parallel to the way, but of simpler design, mechanisms necessary for the loading and the unloading of the passengers being less heavy to realize

[0008] to this end, the present invention relates to an installation for amusement park known as roller coaster, comprising a formed circuit of rails the length of which circulates at least a vehicle comprising a first part coupled with the rails in order to be able to move along the circuit and a second part, gone up in mobile coupling on the first part and arranged in order to be able to accomodate at least a passenger in at least a seat, formant file and sat, associated a device of reserve of the passenger in the seat, so that, when the vehicle traverses the circuit, the passenger is suspended under the rails with the plan of sound back nonperpendicular to the plan of the way consisted the rails, the aforementioned installation being characterized in that the coupling of the aforementioned second part of the vehicle with the aforementioned first part makes it possible the aforementioned second part to carry out a rotation on itself around an axis appreciably perpendicular to the plan of the file of the seat".
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plasticboy

Hmmmm, not sure what to make of this. Whatever happens i KNOW B&M will create a 4D. Its the next step up for them.
georgiegirl

hmmmm call me thick about this but i dont know all that much about coaster development, i just post here because i love going to theme parks and riding coasters but can someone explain what a 4d coaster does?

ta muchly! :D
Anonymous

[quote=""georgiegirl""]hmmmm call me thick about this but i dont know all that much about coaster development, i just post here because i love going to theme parks and riding coasters but can someone explain what a 4d coaster does?

ta muchly! :D[/quote]

X is far different compared to the traditional roller coaster. For the first time ever riders are seated in prototype vehicles that spin independently 360-degrees forwards and backwards on a separate axis. The added spinning effect creates an unprecedented and never before "don't know what to expect next" sensation.
Initial reaction to X was almost disbelief. Had the ride designer gone insane?

"You've got to be kidding, that is one sick ride!" was heard stated to the company that came up with this wild prototype following the annoucement.

The company behind this prototype was Arrow Dynamics of Clearfield, Utah, a firm that has created some of the industry's best thrill rides. Arrow is known for its many firsts and got started in the industry when Walt Disney contracted them to build some early ride systems for Disneyland. Some of Arrow's notable projects include the first tubular tracked steel coaster, the Matterhorn at Disneyland and the world's first modern looping coaster, Corkscrew at Knott's Berry Farm. So it was really no surprise that Arrow was behind this impressive prototype.

Dan K

That is indeed a potential modification of the Aerial Inversion Ride (flying coaster).

It's been said that B&M have been working on a 4D for a while, but that drawing isn't it I'm afraid.
Anonymous

I can now confirm that the new rollercoaster will spin on its axis horizontally in motion. Like a Arrow 4D but horizontally.

It is VERY unlikely that this coaster will ever be made though.
Anonymous

Moved from AT General, as irrelevant to AT. ;)
Anonymous

[quote=""Kaycee-TTF""]Moved from AT General, as irrelevant to AT. ;)[/quote]

Kaycee,
What would I do without you?
Anonymous

Errr, you'd probably find your topics exactly where you chose to put them? ;)

Lol sorry love, I've asked for a specific Coasters forum, but at the moment, no go! :( Shame, as I'd really enjoy a forum like that!

:twisted: :P
Anonymous

[quote=""Kaycee-TTF""]Errr, you'd probably find your topics exactly where you chose to put them? ;)

Lol sorry love, I've asked for a specific Coasters forum, but at the moment, no go! :( Shame, as I'd really enjoy a forum like that!

:twisted: :P
[/quote]

Yea,
That would be good. Why is it a no go then?
SW-Dave

[quote=""plasticboy""] i KNOW B&M will create a 4D.[/quote]

No you dont!!!
Ketchup

^ Rofl

I can't see B&M building a 4D anytime soon, must I point out this is the company that doesn't do launches, and hasn't developed a new ride since the flyer.

I don't think they will risk the same fate that Arrow suffered to the the fail of the first 4D "X"
plasticboy

SW-Dave, i didnt actualy mean that i know, i just meant that i am confident that they will.
buggy

Were B&M the only company developing a 4D, i remember someone posting a link that showed a prototype that had been built somewhere, and it wasnt the Arrow one. Possible Intamin.
Ketchup

Yes, Intamin are developing their own variation of the 4D coaster which they have named "The Ball Coaster"

More info can be found here http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/eas05/eas1.shtml

Hope you know German!
buggy

thanks that was the link i needed! Was confused when people were talking about the B&M 4D
SW-Dave

[quote=""plasticboy""]SW-Dave, i didnt actualy mean that i know, i just meant that i am confident that they will.[/quote]

I know what you mean, Im taking the piss.

Thos Intamin shots look alot better than Arrow 4D's look forward to seing a completed design of that. BTW theres a tag in the top right corner of the page to change it into English :P
plasticboy

Oh yeah. Sorry SW-Dave. I always have trouble working out when people are taking the piss or not! lol. :?
phil2k4

why is everyone so certain B&M will never venture into launched coasters? just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they never will. there is a first time for everything and launched coasters are a very marketable thing at the moment as intamin are finding out. and what is everyones source that they are developing a 4d?
Dave

ok this might be a silly quesstion.... but that diagram.... why would B&M pattant a design modification to a ride concept that hasd only premiared a few months b4? that design woudl of had to of been in the works for a long time long before air opened, and certain gremlins in the works became aparent...

maybe im just readin to much into it, i dont know. seems odd though... or was it just an alternative idea they developed but didnt follow up on but thought was worth patanting? :?