B&M Discussion

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
$t£v£

Why do B&M incorporate the small drop of a few feet at the top of their lift hills in which the chain is still in use?
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.
bond231

Porberly just helps the train go over that first bit.
ImYourVillain

Maybes because the lift hill is designed to pull the train up the track rather than push it towards the first drop? So I guess they put in a small drop to let gravity take over and reduce the stress on the lift hill...
Anonymous

Moved from AT General. :)
$t£v£

The lift hill motor is at the bottom rather than the top which would probably suggest that the train is pushed rather than pulled i can see this working which would mean the chain would never break as it can happen whe pulling the train.
ImYourVillain

Either way, a small drop at the end of the lift hill means gravity starts the train moving along the track rather than the lift hill doing the work on a horizontal piece of track.
buggy

i think it looks better than a full drop, i usually do this to my lifts in RCT3 so that the train always gets over the top.
Anonymous

Im not 100% sure if im on the right track...but Drayton Manors Shockwave has what im thinking of at the bottom of the lift hill and the top of the lift hill is this what your talking about...Circled in red

$t£v£

The area circled in red is the one im on about
stokywolf

But schockwave isnt made by B&M is it?
It's most probably to do more with the physics side than the signature side.
Maybe B&M beleive that his will help the operation of the ride to be more reliable?
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
Anonymous

i think it wrecks the ride it makes it start slow i like it how the pepsie max is that just comes of the top realy fast if you understand what i mean
air_head

[quote=""stokywolf""]But schockwave isnt made by B&M is it?[/quote]

Shockwave was designed by B&M when they worked for Intamin. It is because of this that the ride looks like a B&M. It is also the reason that it is the only stand up coaster to have a Zero-G Roll.
$t£v£

only stand up coaster to have a Zero-G Roll.
Why?
buggy

off topic, but does anyone know why B&M split from intamin?
Satch

surely its to allow the back of the train to make it over the crest of the hill before it is released to gravity. Otherwise, it would never get through the drop
phil2k4

Shockwave was designed by B&M when they worked for Intamin. It is because of this that the ride looks like a B&M. It is also the reason that it is the only stand up coaster to have a Zero-G Roll.
it may have been designed by intamin whilst b&m were still a part of the company but that isn't why the track looks the same. b&m use an outside company to supply their track which intamin also used to use before they changed to the new boxed track like on RITA.
draytonmanorplus

Its to stop the strain on the lift hill, having a smaller drop stops the lift hill from suddenly having more force on it. I think anyway.

SW-Dave

Your absoluetly right, The pre-drop stops the train from straining on the chain as it crests.Most coaster companies ahev a way round this, For example, Intamins giga Coasters, the cable lift goes all the way over the top and accelarates the train into the drop.

It also gives the train a bit more momentum into the first drop meaning more air-time the whole way down. A perticularly good example of that is on Kraken
$t£v£

One of their inverteds appeared in the film "getting even with dad"
Where did you get the letter and catalogue?
Mankey

B&M are very cool, they also sound alot smoother i think, some ride tracks are painful to listen to, B&M are more like a gliding sound :D
BUT, i prefer the look of Vekoma's tracks
Back from hibernation!