Alton Towers' Worst Decision

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Anonymous

It so has to be getting rid of the iconic and beautfil swan boats. How perfect were they for the park!!!

And what for? Cheap splash boat things :x What is your problem Alton!!!

:firebounce:
Anonymous

verythink they had that made the park Magic the music,the swan boats,toyland tours etc they have all gone why alton?
stokywolf

Toyland tours.. well its pretty obvious why that has gone :roll: . They'v made a few bad decisions but ill tell you about that on a rainy day. :D
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz
MikeB

The swan boat ride infront of the towers used to be an iconic image, we can all remember that advert from years ago that showed the swan boats in the mist. In the village of Oakamoor which is just down the road from AT, one of the swan boats is still in the back garden of the pub near the bridge. just looking at it brings back the memories.
Anonymous

I agree with you burn.e there - the swans were simple, timeless icons that fitted perfectly.

My personal feeling is that, even though it was inevitable and totally understandable, the removal of Thunder Looper has left both an emotional and visible gap. Everytime I enter Forbidden Valley I still look at Blade's queline and can visualise her...
Anonymous

[quote=""Burn.e""]It so has to be getting rid of the iconic and beautfil swan boats. How perfect were they for the park!!!

:firebounce:[/quote]

You must remember that the public don't give a bleep to be honest. They just think look at them bumper boats they are much better. They don't see things like we do...
warriorman

Correct me if I'm wrong though. The "bumper boats" costs £3 to go on but were the swans free?

Might be a case of AT trying to get more money in the same way some theme parks charge extra for Mini golf.
I aint paying extra when I've already paid a tidy sum to get in so I'll stick with the "free" rides like Nemesis, RITA and Oblivion thank you very muchly :lol:
Newby Coaster lovers ride count

Rita =4 (1 in front)
Oblivion=1
Nemesis=2
Air =2
Ripsaw =2
Dave

personaly. i think Nemisis was altons worse desition :P

the set the bar rediculessly high in 1994... so high that its near to impossible for them to outdo themselves. they just made thier own jobs a lot harder
Ash

Changing Towers street music was a terrible decision!

Also them not giving me a job at the park!WHY!?
Liam

Rethemeing Talbot Street into the Land of Make believe and then changing it to Cred Street.
Talbot Street seems much better than both of its successors.
notts nat

talbot street also fitted in better because of it being close to the towers they should make it back into a victorian area with the traditional style chocolate factory and vintage cars they could do alot with talbot street
Anonymous

[quote=""Thirst""][quote=""Burn.e""]It so has to be getting rid of the iconic and beautfil swan boats. How perfect were they for the park!!!

:firebounce:[/quote]

You must remember that the public don't give a bleep to be honest. They just think look at them bumper boats they are much better. They don't see things like we do...[/quote]

Yes they do!!!

Countless friends have commented on how they miss the Swanboats, and I've heard Where the f*ck are the swans multiple times at the park.

:firebounce:
Cjw

Yep-the public actually do care. I've heard several people ask where the swanboats have gone, and said that it was a shame.
Vik

A few friends of mine, who probably visit Alton Towers maybe once every 2 or 3 years, have commented on the fact that the Swans are no longer there, and they say the Splash Carts look just tacky, and completely out of place.

Just look at that 'where the magic never ends' advert, which is lurking around the web somewhere (been posted around TTF' a few times) from the mid 90's, where you see the swan morph in to the swan boats, and you can see the impression of elagance and tranquility the swan boats gave to the general public. In contrast, the Splash Boats dosent even come close.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Mitchell

Naming Rita, getting rid of Toyland Tours :(
plasticboy

Getrting rid of the Swans would be high up my list.

Also, i feel the re-furb of the Log Flume into The Flume was a bad decision. I mean, the ride will soon start to look tacky (well, already is), and the current theme looks much worse in a bad condition than the old theme did. AT should have hung on a extra year or 2 and totaly replaced to log flume with a new water ride.

Also, refurbing Haunted House into Duel was a bad decision. Duel is now tacky. A new Haunted House or a upgrade of the old one would have been much better.
Anonymous

toyland tours :( im 14 and me and all my mates always went on it after lunch and used to ask the operaters how many g's it pulled and stuff :lol:
Wes

Ah! The swans, Big mistake there by Alton. It was very much part of the magic and nice to just relax on with the peacful veiws of the towers and the peafulness throughout the center of the park.

Removing Toyland tours I think is a good idea as its been said it was getting very tacky. And really it does need updating, and a old story that everyone knows is one of the best options there is!
Anonymous

did anyone even go on the swans though??? but i agree, they were more of a iconic symbol rather than a ride.

duel is dire, the haunted house was more fun even for people my age, you could ave a laugh on there with ya mates, now everyone is getting arm ache from the "guns".

and please bring back the old school music to the monorail, sky ride and towers street please.

naming rita, rita. bad move.

and unless they replace it with somthing decent, getting rid of the black hole. not the best ride ever, but always one to go on, and the re-theme when x-sector arived was very good and added summit to that whole area.
Anonymous

Just to note. The Towers Street music is now back on. The decesion to close the Black Hole was because of expensive modifications that H&S wanted done to give the ride a new operating certificate.