Nemesis removal

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Anonymous

I remember posting that in that other topic also :P

Just thinking, I'm pretty sure no-one will care when Nemesis is removed. It'll be so long away that Alton will have some rides that wipe the floor with Nemesis! It'll be the new Corkscrew, and another ride as popular as Nemesis once was. And hey, when it's removed it'll make way for the next best thing!

It aint't all negative!

:firebounce:
Anonymous

I agree with Burn.e. Back when Corkscrew and Black Hole made their debut at Alton Towers in 1980 and 1984, they were top-quality, state-of-the-art white-knuckle rides and everybody was talking about them...just like Nemesis was.

Now Black Hole has gone with a rather understated show of protest (although I should imagine when Corkscrew leaves it will be a slightly different story), and people aren't so bothered it's gone. We now have Nemesis, Oblivion, Air and Rita..!

I think AT's reluctance to get rid of Corkscrew fares well for Nemesis. Corkscrew was AT's iconic image until Nemesis and it seems AT doesn't take that lightly. Nemesis will be round for a LONG time.

:twisted: :P
Ketchup

But Kaycee the Corkscrew was never world class it was a clone http://www.rcdb.com/id923.htm Tornado at Walibi Belgium came along a year before it. granted that it isn't operating anymore but there are identical models in other parks that are still operating such as Super Wirbel at Holiday Park which also came before the Corkscrew.

Now if Nemesis was just say a Batman: The Ride clone I doubt anyone would care that much if that was ever removed sure the ride might be awesome but it would never be a truly unique ride maybe the first one but that is it, but Nemesis is a truly unique coaster. No B&M invert has matched it unique terrain setting or it's intensity, with the exception of maybe B:TR.

Sure maybe we would care if it does go downhill like the Corkscrew but if the ride is still performing we would want to keep it, and Nemesis I think will stay a top coaster for a long time to come.
Anonymous

I know it is a clone, Ketchup. :roll: :lol:

But what I'm saying is, it was 1980, it was a Europe first, and not many people were too aware of the coasters abroad - they didn't have the Internet back in the olden days. :P :lol: So to the fine people of the UK, Corkscrew was top-quality, brand-new and an absolutely terrifying piece of machinery.

Ketchup

[quote=""Kaycee-TTF""]I know it is a clone, Ketchup. :roll: :lol:
But what I'm saying is, it was 1980, it was a Europe first
No Tornado at Wailibi Belgium was :P , and Super Wirbel also came before it!
and not many people were too aware of the coasters abroad - they didn't have the Internet back in the olden days. :P0 :lol: So to the fine people of the UK, Corkscrew was top-quality, brand-new and an absolutely terrifying piece of machinery.

:twisted: :P[/color]
[/quote]

Fair point about the internet and foreign coasters, but to be fair there was a superior shuttle looping coaster before the Corkscrew opened at Blackpool called the Revolution which had the gimmick of a launch, I haven't ridden it but if I had the choice between Revolution and Corkscrew I would choose the Revolution.

I just don't see why Corkscrew is considered a classic while the Revolution seems forgotten about.
Last edited by Ketchup on Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Oof. And there's me trying to be clever and looking a fool. :lol: ;) It was a UK first then! :P LOL, it's been a long time since I scoured the Internet and coaster sites looking for all the information and knowledge! A UK first! :( :P

To be fair, Ketchup (even though I have a new-found respect for you :lol:), the Revolution and Corkscrew are very different coasters. My fundamental point is...from what I hear from people like my parents etc, that when Corkscrew first made its appearance - it shocked people. Really! :shock: :o

Ketchup

[quote=""Kaycee-TTF""]Oof. And there's me trying to be clever and looking a fool. :lol: ;) It was a UK first then! :P LOL, it's been a long time since I scoured the Internet and coaster sites looking for all the information and knowledge! A UK first! :( :P

To be fair, Ketchup (even though I have a new-found respect for you :lol:), the Revolution and Corkscrew are very different coasters. My fundamental point is...from what I hear from people like my parents etc, that when Corkscrew first made its appearance - it shocked people. Really! :shock: :o

[/quote]

Everyone has respect for Mr.Saucy! :P
I could see why it shocked people it was a unique ride at the time in the UK, and it was my first inverting coaster which I enjoyed when I was 7, but after riding major B&M's like Dueling Dragons and Montu the ride just lost it's fun, after riding superior rides you generally seem to find coasters like the Corkscrew have lost their touch. I admit at the time it opened it must of been atonishing seeing a coaster like that at a small UK park.

It's probally a reason why younger riders between the age of 7-10 seem to like the coaster so much as they haven't been on one of the marble smooth B&M's.

It was a stunning ride when it opened, but Nemesis just has a lot more things going for it due to the fact that it is a unique design and very smooth. It will stay popular longer than a coaster like the Corkscrew I reckon.
Anonymous

Well obviously Corkscrew loses its appeal through the years, and I never disputed that. All I was saying was at that time, people were :o in awe of it, pretty much like people were :o in awe of Nemesis when that opened in 1994 (THAT was a European first! That was where I got mixed up!).

25 years on, Corkscrew is still around and still enjoyed by many. Nemesis is only 11 years old, so there's still some juice left in the old girl.

We may say 'oh, but Nemesis is so obviously a better coaster than Corkscrew', but when Corky was 11 years old, the only things to give it competition at the park was Black Hole and Thunderlooper! So I'm saying that Corky and Nemesis are in a similar situation. Both have been/are the iconic AT ride, both astounded people when they were opened and both have been/will be preserved by AT for a long time.

plasticboy

I agree with you kacee. Even if noone else can understand u!
$t£v£

Could the seats be replaced do you think?
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.
Anonymous

Well it would hardly be the seats fault that Nemesis would be removed :P.

But yes, I guess they could be replaced... dunno why though :|

:firebounce:
Ketchup

Well they have spare restraints in a storing area under the Nemesis station for some weird reason it was wide open when i visited 2 weeks ago.

Why would they want to replace seats though? I mean there seats... Maybe restraints where they start to become dirty and the material falls off, but not seats...
bond231

stop talking about the seats :lol: they are seats not like life or death. i also agree with burn.e and kaycee it will slowly go like blackhole did, not in a bad way but it will eventually lose its mystique.
$t£v£

Black hole didnt loose its mistique it was still a big croud puller when it closed.
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.
bond231

yes but it was still getting rough and the brakes were rough aswell.
ImYourVillain

It's not so much rides losing their "mystique" as bigger and better rides being developed all the time that pulls the crowds away from the likes of Corky and BH
Squiggles

[quote=""Ketchup""]But Kaycee the Corkscrew was never world class it was a clone[/quote]

That surely means it was world class... as it was good enough for versions of it to appear around the world.

There's a massive difference between a coaster being unique and a coaster being world class. Generally the clones are coasters which are/were at the top of their game.
Edwardo..... move me!
Ketchup

^ Vekoma Boomerang anyone?
Squiggles

[quote=""Ketchup""]^ Vekoma Boomerang anyone?[/quote]

The Vekoma Boomerang is a perfect example of a world class rollercoaster. The RCDB shows that over 40 of them operate around the world (dunno how acurate that number is). This a phenomoninally popular type of coaster, which parks and guests really like.
Edwardo..... move me!
Ketchup

[quote=""Squiggles""][quote=""Ketchup""]^ Vekoma Boomerang anyone?[/quote]

The Vekoma Boomerang is a perfect example of a world class rollercoaster. The RCDB shows that over 40 of them operate around the world (dunno how acurate that number is). This a phenomoninally popular type of coaster, which parks and guests really like.[/quote]

You could arguably say that the only reason that there popular is due to the fact there cheap and many small theme parks who can not afford to buy a major inverting coaster go for a Boomerang instead.