Nemesis removal

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
Squiggles

Yes, but that doesn't affect whether or not they are world class or not. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it can't be world class.
Edwardo..... move me!
MakoMania

Topic revival :)

Nemesis is being repainted so no removal soon. I was wondering though, do people think it'll last till 90 like the BPB wooden coasters? Or will it leave much sooner? What could replace it? Thoughts appreciated!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Dom

Alton towers will keep Nemesis running for as long as they can. It is one of the parks best coasters and is still quite popular. When the time comes for her to be removed I can see a lot of people being quite upset, I'm looking at you Janey, but I would like to think they would give her a decent send off. As for what should replace it when the time comes for it to leave I literally have no idea what they would choose. I would like to think they would replace her with something modern and something that could match the awesomeness that is Nemesis
Dan

B&M's are built to last.

The only way Nemesis would be removed was if it wasn't popular anymore and Merlin (or whoever owns the park) believe a new attraction would be beneficial.

Given how much work went into designing and building Nemesis, its removal is not one that would be considered without a very good reason. If it ever got to the stage where it was struggling mechanically/structurally then I think they could potentially do a Universal and do a full retrack.

Either way, I highly doubt Nemesis will be removed for many, many, many years to come.
Master_feedback

If you were to go back say 15 years you would be hard pushed to find anyone that would say corkscrew would go it seamed impossible it was the flag ship ride the one that started it all it was high tech and cutting edge but by the time she left she was old and out dated

Nem is not showing any signs of not being able to cut it with the new kids on the block so shes safe for now
NemeJaney

If I think about her removal too much I cry :lol but yeah, luckily she's a tough one and I can't imagine her going anytime soon, especially not with Sub Species and Sub Terra still around - they need Nemmy there to be a foundation for their themes! I imagine she'll see at least a few more revamps before she goes due to how popular she is.

EDIT: In fact, it wouldn't just be the 'Sub' attractions which need her. If she were to go, that would mean the entirety of FV would need a retheme, unless SW8 offers something similar enough to not require that to happen, but it seems doubtful that they'd use almost identical themes twice on 2 major coasters.
Capt.Barnacles

On top of everything the people above have pointed out, John Wardley stated in a TTSP Q&A in 2014 that Nemesis will stay running as long as it can be maintained and is popular, which it continues to be to this day. If a track piece needs replacing they can accommodate for that, if a train part is faulty they can be replaced, Nemesis will never go until it becomes physically impossible to keep it safe to run or becomes unpopular.
Liam_s99

I'd like to think that when it does become old and ready for removal, they replace the track, like they have done with Hulk, and the beast can live on.
Sawboss

Stop posting in this topic! It's startles me every time that title pops up :P

Nemesis will never die!
wolfwynd

Sawboss wrote:Stop posting in this topic! It's startles me every time that title pops up :P

Nemesis will never die!
I know exactly what you mean!

Long live Nemmi! :yes:
Javs

Not to mention the fact it still comes in the top 10 steel coasters in the world.
owenrita121

Master_feedback wrote:If you were to go back say 15 years you would be hard pushed to find anyone that would say corkscrew would go it seamed impossible it was the flag ship ride the one that started it all it was high tech and cutting edge but by the time she left she was old and out dated

Nem is not showing any signs of not being able to cut it with the new kids on the block so shes safe for now
In 2001, Corkscrew was definitely not the parks flag ship ride. It was either Oblivion or Nemesis, definitely not Corkscrew. You tell Corkscrew was ready for removal, it never had a queue it was horrendously rough and was simply outdated.
Nemesis however is non of those, it's almost glass smooth, it's still extremely popular, it's still a headline coaster and it's world class. Nothing Corkscrew could ever boast, even using Corkscrew as an example is just crazy.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
MJNemesis

It's as fundamental to the park now as the towers are themselves.

Alton Towers IS Nemesis. People talk about the new rides but Nemesis is always the highlight.

I highly doubt it would go in John Wardley's lifetime or at least another 20 years.

BTW I was impressed with the repaint. I haven't been in the loop for a while (literally) so it was a surprise when I visited. Wasn't until I got up close that I realised how great the painted on rust looks. She's looking good as new.

The only thing I could maybe see being replaced are the trains. It could be revamped with the new style restraints perhaps?
Max

Wouldn't get new restraints. The new style B&M vest ones make the train much wider than before and thus it'd require an entirely new clearance envelope.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888
Liam.W

11 years later from when this topic was created the beast is still going strong and is in no need of removal :P
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

wamdue

only slightly off topic, but when do these kinds of rides become profitable? obviously they are a big investment for any theme park? Can there come a point where Merlin can say, this ride has made a profit for us, given we pay to enter the entire park, not just the one ride? I guess sales of photos etc help in that.

At least with a kids ticket, you can know where that kid has gone (Cbeebies) and is easy to tell if that land is making a profit for you.
abigsmurf

It's probably quite tricky to know for sure.

Cost:benefit analysis is probably done with the following considerations (plus some others I couldn't think of):

-Number of people the ride seats a day (low throughput or empty queue lines are bad)
Maintenance costs

-Safety record (or cost of getting it up to newer safety standards)

-Rider satisfaction (just because lots of people ride it, it doesn't always mean they love the ride), carried out through surveys and measuring general attitudes.

-Draw factor, would removing it lower visitor numbers?

-Potential of the land it's on (if you could get 2 modern rides on the same land it takes up, or if just 1 new ride would improve on all the factors above enough to justify the cost).
wamdue

had not even thought about what else could be using the land, it would probably cost a fair amount to remove it as well.
mark_h

abigsmurf wrote:It's probably quite tricky to know for sure.

Cost:benefit analysis is probably done with the following considerations (plus some others I couldn't think of):
Staff costs would also be considered- some rides need more staff than others.

Another aspect would be how much it competes with a new ride. For example if AT opened a new dive coaster then there would be likely to close Oblivion, if they opened a 20 inversion rollercoaster then the Smiler would probably go.
stejent

So strange, after so many years away from TT, I visited Alton Towers today and thought I would re-register as I no longer have access to my old email. It was I, fellow Towers enthusiasts, who in my younger days, having only recently fallen in love with the place and, in particular, Nemesis, created this topic!
Imagine my surprise that I should happen to spot it, still causing a stir, as much as it once did.

So glad, I was, upon my visit to the park today, to see that the track (and one half of the station) had received a repaint. Nonetheless disappointed to hear that the TLC had not extended it gracious hand to facilitate the removal of that god awful "NEMESIS! THE BEAST MAY BE CHAINED BUT STILL UNTAMEABLE!" sound bite. So tacky.