Were you ever scared of the Haunted House ?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Dunny#1

Yeah i was terrified!! But i was a lot younger, heck i waited in the shop for half an hour waiting for my parents to go on it :lol:
scottw92

Quite a late post (3 years after) but yano :P just stumbled across it randomly..

The Haunted House... omg that used to be my favourite ride at AT when i 1st visited when i was about 8. I wasn't really that scared tbh in the queue line i just used to take in the surroundingss and familarise myself with them and keep tight hold of me dad's hand and cover my eyes. The theming and attention to detail was fantastic. Shame they added LEDs and laser guns :x But then again i used to imagine i had a gun and start shooting the monsters when i was younger :shock: lol. The only bits i really remember is the queue line (girl stuck in the tv, face in the fire, creepy portraits etc.) the undertaker and tunnel.

imo hex was a more scary ride, my dad dragged me on it time and time again and i used to cry my eyes out over it :P he used to bribe me with pokemon cards tho :) haha. That created a lasting impression, though i rode it last year for the 1st time since then, didn't know what i was worried about at 1st, ohh well i was young.
Do Look Down..
likemike

I was scared of the haunted house at AT once i had a ride photo and i hid all the way through. The second time was the ghost effects that played inside the queueline of the interior also those portraits aswell.
MichaelBoyd
likemike

I was really scared on the whole ride and the music that played throughout gloomy wood, i remember that i went on the ride and hid all the way through the ride even the ride photo if youm look closely i was actually hiding.

And what about the ghostly effect inside that spooked us and the skeleton where he pulled the switch.
MichaelBoyd
Craig

Please don't double post likemike. You can use the "edit" button if you want to edit or add to your previous posts :D
AltonThorpe

I first went on the Haunted House when I was very young. I didn't like it much as I obviously found it too scary. I tried to put it off every time I went to Alton Towers until one day I got forced on by my friends and my dad. When we went on I thought it was good with all the paintings. We went on the ride and we all got scared :P (by the way I was still only 7 at the time). When I heard that it had turned into Duel I went on it again, I didn't find it as scary because I was concentrating on the shooting not the Zombies etc. In some ways now that i'm older I would like the original Haunted House come back and I would like to go on it again and see if I still get freaked out :twisted:
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium
mathmoslover76

The haunted house was way better than duel!, its now aimed at little kids who like the novelty of playing with a toy gun while they go through the ride! -i think it should be re-worked and updated with really scary stuff! ditch the laser guns!!!! :twisted:
AstroDan

Yes, I was. On 17th October 2008.

:oops:
Anonymous

I was 5 when this ride opened and it scared the life out of me.
amylovesaltontowers

Is Duel aimed at more at younger people that the Haunted House was do you think?
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'
Corkscrewed

[quote=""amylovesaltontowers""]Is Duel aimed at more at younger people that the Haunted House was do you think?[/quote]

It's more aimed at families than the Haunted House was yeah. Also, at Teens, who just LOVE being competitive :P
Joe Koopa

[quote=""amylovesaltontowers""]Is Duel aimed at more at younger people that the Haunted House was do you think?[/quote]

Due to most people saying, I went on Haunted House when I was 5, I think it was roughly the same age-group. :)
NF2

I agree with Koopa Troopa, the Haunted House/Duel, are both what I would call "proper" family rides, in the fact that anybody can ride and enjoy them.

All my family love Duel, from my cousin who's 5 to my dad who's 47, the competitive element just enhances the fun for us, and its one of only two rides that we can all go on, the other being the Rapids. I feel the "scariness" has been toned down a bit since 2002, however I think this is just partially down to the LED's and soundtrack that encourages you to fight back. Anyone who rode during Scarefest cannot deny that when the LED's went off, the ride was as scary as ever!
Tranceptor2K9

I used to get scared on the Haunted House all the time during the first few years of visiting the park..even though it had to be the FIRST attraction that we all went on. I mostly sat with my fingers in my ears....

-Especially at the Blue Jellyfish part-
Ilovealtontowersox

My First time at alton twers was back in 2000 i am only 12 :mrgreen: well yes i was terrified to enter that house i never ever went inside the house at its orginional haunted house status but my first journey in it was in 2005 i was 9 hell was i scared i hated it i have refused to go in it ever since

(i dont really have a thing for rides in pitch black) but im 13 this june so im gonna go on it 2009

:lol: :lol: :lol:
fromsolitude

TERRIFIED.

Especially when we had a break down under the giant spider for aaaages. The photo we brought of me on that ride is hilarious, I look absolutely horrified. My eyes are as big saucers. XD

Aaah those were the days.
laura87

I remember being petrified of the haunted house when I was younger, I remember it breaking down once when we were in the revolving tunnel and I was crying and everything.

I used to hate queuing through the graveyard and I HATED the dolls house. I remember trying to get out of riding by saying the smell of the house made me feel sick! None of my family listened though and they made me go on every year!

Now that its duel, its completely lost the magic for me, there is nothing to be scared of anymore.
Gemzie121

I'll admit I was scared of the tunnel thing but only because It made me a bit disorientated. Now its Duel Its more fun than anything, but I agree with the poster above, its lost some of its magic. Plus I seem to be rubbish on Duel, I swear I got a dodgy gun thing last time because I hit hardly anything :oops:
Anonymous

I still am terrified by the Haunted House/Duel.
I remember I used to go on it as I child with my head buried in my Dad's shoulder.
Trooper

I went on when I was 8, I even tried to convince my mom that it "wasn't really suitable for kids" after seeing it on Blue Peter :P

I used to hate scary things as a kid though, but loved it when I went on when I was a bit older. It's funny thinking about how scared I was, I remember the witch making me **** myself!

Edit: The swear edit made me laugh. I thought it would just put some stars there. Haha