Were you ever scared of the Haunted House ?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Mi-Nigle

Used to be absolutely terrified! Would only go on because I didn't want to be left outside on my own. I would burry my head in my dad's shoulder and put my fingers in my ears. The sounds even used to scare me.

But dad always used to tell me when it was trommels tunnel, it was the only bit I liked! Then I'd be burried away till the end. We have two pictures from that and on both I'm cowering away. :P
fromsolitude

I thought I'd show a little proof of my terror... because this photo amuses me. Ah look at my swanky Oblivion cap, good days. The girl in the background is actually praying.
Lorenashley

I remember going on the Haunted House when I was 11 and I'm not ashamed to say I was terrified!
It was the Dolls house that did it for me, I was convinced she was real, and that rocking chair was scary stuff!
I spent the whole time on the actual ride part with my fingers in my ears and my head in my Dads armpit, I refused to look!
QTXAdsy

I remember i first went on it in 1997 (I was 4 I think at the time), but i didn't want to go on it in the first place! I was absolutely terrified worrying that I'd get taken away or something. Had my eyes shut the whole time as well. :oops:
I would not open them until the ride was over!

Strangely enough, the doll's house and the rocking horse didn't quite scare me for some reason. :?
Anonymous

I got really scared at the slanty room and the dolls house which is still in the queue for Duel. Creepy!
pickles4uk

I went on it with my family when I was young and don't remember anything because I had my eyes shut the whole time. I really regret it now because I feel as though I missed out, I don't like Duel.
Cursed

I refused to go any further than the entrance hall when we visited in 1999.
AshleeK

The first time I went on it was in 96 I think (it was the year the hotel opened) and it terrified me beyond belief. The second time I went on it I was about 10 years old and I was still scared! But when I finally got the courage to ride it with my eyes open it turned into Duel, and everything seemed really tame :shock:

---- Post Info Added ----

Sorry if this counts as a double-post, but there's just a point I want to bring up.

For nostalgic reasons, I've been listening to the Haunted House music on the media page here. There are two themes - the doll's house (the one I remember most, what with it also being in the hotel's lift) and the apparent main HH theme. The oddest thing is that I seem to remember the two were combined in the ride, at least at some point. I've been trying to experiment with playing both the MP3 files at the same time but because both are running in Quicktime it doesn't like to multitask and one will pause after a few seconds.

Is it just me, or does anyone else remember them being combined?
Anthony

I think you're right, the dolls house music was played near the dolls house (obviously) when you went past, but the main Entrance Hall piece played throughout the inside queue and apparently up until Trommel's Tunnel. I can't say I remember this too vividly, but here's a quote from [url=http://www.hauntedone.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.hauntedone.co.uk[/url]
As you stepped up into the entrance you were greeted with the second piece of music called ‘The Entrance Hall’. This piece of music played throughout the queue area inside the ride and in the ride station. However in the drawing room another piece of music played over the top of the entrance music, this was called ‘The Drawing Room’ affectionately known as the dolls house music. This also had an additional secondary piece of music that intertwined the 'Drawing Room' music. This piece was called ‘Emily Alton’ after the ghostly girl that would appear within the dolls house. This singing accompanied her apparition has she played with her cat in the model house.

The next change of music occurred when the rider entered Trommels Tunnel
A5H

In 1999 when i was like 8, my family and the other family which we went to all Theme Parks with went to Alton Towers :) And all of us except both mums queued for The Haunted House, whilst we were queueing through the grave yard I was trying to scare the girl in the other family who was 6 or 7 :P
I tried so hard I ended up scaring myself more than i scared her :P And my brother didn't want to go in when it came to it and so I jumped out the queue with him... Of course only because he didn't want to go in ;) not cause i scared myself :P And then i never went to Alton Towers until like 2007 and so I never got to ride it :|
DiogoJ42

My first trip to the Towers was '98, but I didn't get on the HH till '99, when I was 17. Kinda goes without saying I was a tad old to be scared by then. I went through the ride with a big grin on my face, loving every minute of it. :lol:
Anonymous

I used to love the haunted house! Duel just doesn't do it for me, it's a tad tacky and offers few thrills. Move the lazer ride aspect into the old Black Hole tent, theming it around robots/aliens or whatever, and restore The Haunted House back to its original spooky-ness!

I quite like the Duel music tho'.
SLC_Boii x

The old HH was great, even though I can't really remember it. The bits that stood out to me were the tunnel, which I can't remember its name, and the bit with the spiders - I hate them D:

The little targets on Duel make it much less scary, and ruin the effect. I wish they'd install a Duel-style shooter in he BH tent, and reurn the house to it's past glory.
SamTHorn

I had four brothers , so I wasn't afraid of much.
Last edited by SamTHorn on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomtom2020

I wasnt scared much but now I while thinking :idea: about it I was a bit scared at the start of the ride.I think I was 9 when i went :?

By the way i found a towers TV so this is the website: [url=http://www.towerstv.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.towerstv.com/[/url] 8)

---- Post Info Added ----

[quote=""SamTHorn""]I had four brothers , so I wasn't afraid of much.[/quote]

Lucky, I only have 1
Farquaad

Ok I admit the first couple of times I went to Alton Towers when I was 6 or 7ish I didn’t even make it past the entrance hall.

When I was waiting outside I definitely remember a thumping and muffled voices coming from a speaker in the tombstone outside the house which played at intervals. It’s never been mentioned anywhere else. Not even from hauntedone. Anyone else remember it?

I go on duel now and am annoyed I missed the oppertunity.
Last edited by Farquaad on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AshleeK

[quote=""Farquaad""]. Plus when I was waiting outside I definitely remember a thumping and muffled voices coming from a speaker in the tombstone outside the house which played at intervals. It’s never been mentioned anywhere else. Not even from hauntedone. Anyone else remember it? [/quote]

Oh yeah, I remember that now as well. It would always freak me out.
Hauntedone

I felt anxious when i was queueing through the grave yard and this built up to excitement. I loved it and now its my obsession.
I still remember feeling apprehensive at what would happen next and can remember squinting when we travelled through the screaming room.
Fantastic, I hope the improvements over closed season are substantial. :twisted:
Chaz

Pre-duel I visited the Towers twice in my life. The second being in 2002 (I was 13), I queued for the HH, as I did when i was much younger, and ran out the queue s**t scared after being in the portrait room. Obviously been on Duel so many times, not scared of haunted houses any more :!: First time I went (can't remember the year), the HH had an hour queue (roughly) and I left in the portrait room; my parents were not best pleased.

So I never went on the original Haunted House...

I will ALWAYS regret that! :(
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Tom G

In response to the original question, yes. In the mid 90s when you queued through the woods (you're missing out if you never experienced those days), it made you feel very nervous and anxious and the ride itself was quite scary as a child in those days.