Is There No Commitment To Ride Heritage & Preservation?

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Anonymous

There seem to be a lot of comments about bulldozing old rides like the LogFlume and Corkscrew.

I know themeparks (thankfully) are all about advancing technology but it would be a shame if there were not some commitment to heritage and preservation.

Corkscrew, for its day was a pioneering steel coaster and many of us would remember it as the best thing ever back in the 80's. Admittedly it doesnt stand to well against B&M's fantastic new technology, but as a significant piece of Alton Towers history it should stay.

At the risk of appearing soft, If it were to go I'd miss the unique and familair sound of the Corkscrew train as it whirrs to the top of the chainhill. Its the only coaster you can see and hear as you enter the park at Towers Street and I think that adds something to the excitement at the start of your day. Soft or what :oops:

I wonder if those calling for its demolition would feel the same in 10 yrs time when a new breed of riders start calling for the axing of Nemesis as it reaches the ripe old age of 20.
Phantom

Yeah alton towers never appreaciate rides like corkscrew or TL or AB and other rides that were tossed aside like a piece of manure :evil:
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3
Squiggles

To be honest with you none of them are unique rides, so I can't see what all the fuss is about... would you be talking like this if it was the enterprise or Ug Swinger which was underthreat?

The Log Flume is a unique ride... but that doesn't make it wonderfully special.... practically every park has one... and there only so many hills of water you can fly down in a giant log!!!

In any of the other coasters were to be removed (other then beastie or Blackhole)... that would be something to complain about.
Edwardo..... move me!
Ian

yes i totally agree Squiggles. Im one for progress and at the end of the day these older rides do not create interest and new excitement around the park. i could understand it if they were 'fantasic' or 'unique' rides like for example the Grand National or Big Dipper are. they are much older than the corkscrew and when i ride them i dont come off with a head ache, bruised knee and aching shoulders!! :lol:

i can see both sides to this story but i wouldnt be sad to see the log flume or Corkscrew demolished to make way for brand spanking new world first rides! :lol:
Phantom

I also wnat the log flume to go cause it's old and crappy
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3
Anonymous

yep it certainly is, your on the ball !!!!!!!!!!
Andy

I wonder if those calling for its demolition would feel the same in 10 yrs time when a new breed of riders start calling for the axing of Nemesis as it reaches the ripe old age of 20.

If theres something ebtter available then, yes, it'll have to go...
Anonymous

Log Flume and Corkscrew have got to go,I can see Corkscrew going fairly soon anyway due to the Altoners any louder and they are bound to hear as the ride is so close to the village.
Ian

If theres something ebtter available then, yes, it'll have to go...
yes i couldnt agree more although Nemesis is slightly different because the actual landscape was alterered to fit it, i spose they could design a new coaster to fit there too though. in my opinion nemesis is not an amazing coaster anyway so if in 20 years time it was rough, run down and i didnt enjoy the ride then i say yes demolish the bugger! :lol:

out with the old and in with the new and all that!
Ian

erm excuse me i am actually 22 years old and i am entitled to my opinion, this is a discussion board is it not?! :roll:

just because nemesis is your number 1 coaster doesnt mean that its mine or anyone elses. i did not say once in that post that i thought nemesis was old and that i think it should go, i merely stated that in my opinion it was not an 'amazing' coaster. i like Nemesis but i have been on coasters that i like much more. i dont expect my opinions to be 'rubbished' ok. :)
Phantom

the log flum is old cause wen tussands bought AT the log flume was already there so it is needed to demolish it and replace it with a better ride
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3
Squiggles

the log flum is old cause wen tussands bought AT the log flume was already there so it is needed to demolish it and replace it with a better ride
thats a bit of a turn around isn't it?
Yeah alton towers never appreaciate rides like corkscrew or TL or AB and other rides that were tossed aside like a piece of manure
Corkscrew, AB and TL were all in the park when Tussauds bought it.
Edwardo..... move me!
Phantom

yeah but this is a water ride and it's gettin boring now
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3
fontdude

i think that the corkscrew should be kept for museum puposes. it would be cool to go to alton towers when im old and see the corkscrew there inside a museum wearhouse every so often letting people ride it.
2005 trips: 8th April (Best visit... ever!)
1st June (Even better...Nemesis 7 times!)
rip_saw

If you touch corky i vill keel yoo :D
Andy

Fab if it's in a museum! Just not in th park!
Adz
Admin
Admin

i dont think it would survive the move lol.
Andy

Exactly. It's crap! Gat a bit of B+M in there! Or Intamin!
Bailey

bring on the woodie i think! it might happen!
rip_saw

Bring on the woodie, and keep corky, win win!