Planning Consent in the UK

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
AZ Explorer

Something came to my mind, but I do wander if the UK is one of the most restricted country's in the world when it comes to Planning Permission. The reason I ask is because the UK just doesn't seem to be able to build the really high rides like in the US.

While some of our best UK roller coasters are decent, they just don't seem to stack up against the best roller coasters in Europe & America. At times I feel as if something is holding this country back from being able to compete with these other country's known for their world class rides. Could this be to do with Planning consent or many cowards among the Public?

Do any of you believe that it's possible that a UK park could build a 300ft-400ft roller coaster in the future? If so which park/parks would it likely be?

I just felt I had to get this off my chest, especially after watching YouTube video's of John Wardley many times in the past talking about restrictions on UK parks like Alton Towers.
Chris
Admin
Admin

You are right - the UK is subject to some of the toughest restrictions when it comes to building new projects.

A lot of the parks in the UK are either near residential towns and villages, are not near main transport links such as motorways, and are either in or near historical conservation areas.

Places like Thorpe Park, Fantasy Island and Blackpool could build some record breaking rides, but what also comes in to account is that the owners need to be willing to spend the money on building them.
ROYJESS

I think that the UK planning restrictions are a blessing in disguise. You only have to have look a Nemesis (and Oblivion), the restrictions meant that they built the ride into the ground, which give you a unique ride experience.
AZ Explorer

Thank you Chris for your reply.
Of those three parks you mentioned I believe the only one that could realistically get away with breaking a world record in terms of height is Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Fantasy Island I would not know of as I never been there or hear that much about it, so I can only assume it has a lower attendance and wouldn't make enough money to build anything that big, at least anytime soon.
As for Thorpe Park I don't see them building another really tall roller coaster above 200ft, as I heard that Thorpe Park also have a limit on high they are supposed to build due to being close to Heathrow Airport, plus it would muck up Stealth's domination of the skyline.
I would love to see some kind of intense shuttle coaster go to Blackpool Pleasure Beach that would be a crossover between the layouts of Superman the escape & a Vekoma boomerang or a hyper motorbike coaster with an uphill launch, similar to Space Mountain at Disney land Paris.
The latter of which I think could replace Infusion in its footprint.
I am of course still new and just getting used to these forums.
AZ Explorer

Thank you ROYJESS for your reply.
I definitely agree with you over your statement being the case for Alton Towers.
I do truly believe that the ground is what I call the true ace in the hole for Alton Towers to build roller coasters that compete on the same level as the really high rides at other parks.
I say that because I don't think a number of other parks could use the ground to their advantage quite like Alton Towers could.
Interesting enough I think a coaster can qualify as a hyper or giga by the size of it's drop and not just by it's height.
If that is the case then it may theoretically be possible for Alton Towers to build what could be classed as a hyper coaster by default, simply by relying on depth to build a massive above 200 ft. drop on a coaster that go's underground, which unlike Oblivion could still be a longer ride with some inversions & other elements.
Its just down to where would be the right location in the park to build something like that, without removing an existing secret weapon ride.
Other than that, I would love to see Alton Towers build the "worlds deepest" roller coaster as a polar opposite to the worlds tallest.
It would probably fit well into being a Secret Weapon.