Coronavirus (COVID-19)

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
maxjbutton

I personally think that wearing face masks would be more beneficial if everyone was told to, rather than it being optional. Maybe the size of the park has something to do with the policy but some enclosed indoor spaces could still benefit from masks. It will be interesting to see what other parks do with this situation. 
Chris
Admin
Admin

flexdirection wrote:But is that what kids want from a trip to Disney World?
No, but then it's down to the parents to educate them about the reason why.
abigsmurf

They've said meet and greets are going to be closed but that there will be some wandering characters. Guessing it'll just be full costumed characters. They can keep the person inside the costume relatively safe (not sure much will get through a mask and furry suit and they can spray it as soon as he's backstage) but there's still a risk of it spreading between kids. Wonder if there'll be discreet ways the characters can disinfect themselves.

30% capacity though... They'll definitely hit that in the first few weeks, lots of people have been eagerly awaiting it to open and seeing it as a rare chance to go to Disney when quiet.
abigsmurf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53070380

Blackpool Pleasure Beach talking about their plans on re-opening. Seems they've been consulting with the government which suggests it's not too far away, possibly the next phase so we could see it happening within a couple of weeks.

The summer looks set to continue to be baking hot and people are desperate for proper days out so I could see most parks hitting their lowered capacity. 
abigsmurf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54350423

28,000 workers being sacked. Florida is an "at will" state and I don't think the workers are part of any union (or at least one with any teeth)  so they don't have to get any sort of payout. I hope they at least do the decent thing and if they can't keep the veterens who've been working for decade, gives them a good package. The parks are definitely going to suffer  in terms of experience, can see them going back to the worst Eisner days with poor maintenence, cheap filler rides and micromanaging of staff.

Disney are making extreme losses at the moment. The parks at massively reduced capacities and the guests that are there are spending less. No films hitting the cinema and Mulan, which would have been expected to make somewhere around $1bn at the box office is rumoured to have made only $70m or so on Disney+. 
abigsmurf

I'm pretty desperate for a Florida or California Holiday but it's not going to happen in an enjoyable fashion until there's widespread vaccination. End of Spring is the earliest I'd guess.
Gavinr

For Florida I think even that's optimistic. Probably worth waiting for the Velocicoaster to open in the summer anyway :) and then I might wait for the Star Wars hotel but no idea when that's going to be ready now. 
victorbarnwell

I would like to have fruitful discussion on this topic, I have to say that in Africa region New variation has affected already and spreading towards south Asia, We should take precautionary measure to avoid any uncertainty and take a proactive approach.
abigsmurf

The big hope that that this variant is more infectious but much milder, meaning it takes over and provides enough background immunity to end the pandemic whilst minimising lives lost.

This America holiday keeps getting put further and further back...