Liseberg May 2020

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Dan

Hai!

So I'm finally heading out to Liseberg for a couple of days in May, a park that has been top of my "must-visit" list for a few years.

Flights, accommodation and airport transfers are already booked, with park tickets to follow as soon as Liseberg make them available to buy on the website :lol

Obviously, Helix, Balder & Valkyria are the main draws to the park for me, but are there any other hidden gems that anyone would recommend us checking out? Those who know me know I'm not a massive fan of flats but there's something about Loke that draws me to it. Mechanica on the other hand I will be steering well clear of.

Also, would it be worth exchanging currency to SEK before we fly or is it easier in this day and age to just pay for everything using my standard bank card? How much "spending money" would be enough for two of us doing two days in the park?

Thanks in advance :) from a #europarktripvirgin
Morgan

Hotel Gasten is a beautifully themed walkthrough/maze, it's right by Loke and it's well worth checking out.

There's also some lovely gardens that go around the Helix station and the first drop, so be sure to head around there if you get the chance.

If you're booking online then you should be able to book a few free fastrack-esque tickets- I'd personally use them on Helix as that was the busiest ride when we went. Assuming you're going on a weekend- Saturdays tend to be pretty busy (I think the longest we saw was 45mins for Helix), but the Sunday was virtually empty. There's a Single Rider Queue on Valkyria as well which makes re-riding that easy. And speaking of Valkyria- the bag system on this is a bit different. You'll need to head into the shop first and hire out a free locker before joining the queue.

Hope you have a great time!
Michelle

Morgan's given good tips.
Lisebergbanan is a fun ride, watch out for the break run though.

Currency-wise, we've travelled with a Revolut card everywhere since 2017 and found it super useful, it's a MasterCard top-up card, removes the need for currency so you can spend as much or as little as you like, transfer between currencies instantly using the app or leave it in GBP and get the current exchange rate when you pay. Also allows you to withdraw cash if you really find you need any. There are a few cards that you could take a look at that do similar now, but Revolut is the one I've personally used.
It's pretty expensive to eat/drink but the food on park was very good quality when we went. McDonald's a short walk away too if you get desperate haha. Decent merch was in short supply when we visited so you probably won't need to budget much for that.
Dom

Michelle is right about Lisebergbanan, Its super fun, especially at night when its been running all day. And Hotel Gasten is stunning and the actors do speak English but you have to tell them in each scene unfortunatley, but its so worth it. Helix front row is something not to miss and do the log flume. its fun. 
rainbowryder

Liseberg has an amazing traditional log flume that is well worth checking out. I also recommend JukeBox as a fun family flat. 

As for money, Sweden is expensive when it comes to food. Expect to be paying £20 per meal, unless you make your own food or buy in a supermarket. The bus going from the airport to Liseberg only accepts card payment. I just used my debit card and it was fine. I don't know how much you intend to buy when there, but £30 spending money at the park (on top of tickets) was enough for me. You can just pay by card everywhere if you don't want to bother with cash. If you do want to use cash, do get some Swedish Krona before leaving the UK. 

If you have time, I recommend just walking around Gothenburg and going to some nice Danish cafes for a pastry and coffee one afternoon. If you want more re-rides of Helix and Balder instead though, then don't bother haha.