Six Flags Qiddiya

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
theparklifekid

From the ashes of 2 failed middle east Six Flags projects can it be 3rd time lucky?

Six Flags Qiddiya in Saudi Arabia has officially been unveiled, to be located in a new entertainment district outside of Riyadh and will open in 2023.

“Our vision is to make Six Flags Qiddiya a theme park that delivers all the thrills and excitement that audiences from all over the world have come to expect from the Six Flags brand, and to elevate those experiences with authentic themes connected to the location. As a place that will create indelible memories and moments of delight, telling stories that resonate with our guests is a central notion that will be evident throughout Qiddiya,” Michael Reininger, CEO of QIC, said in a press statement.

Six Flags Qiddiya will cover 32 hectares and include 28 rides and attractions across six themed lands including The City of Thrills, Discovery Springs, Steam Town, Twilight Gardens, Valley of Fortune and Grand Exposition. 

The park will be home to two record-breaking rides: The Falcon’s Flight, inspired by the kingdom’s famous raptor, will be the longest, tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world, while the Sirocco Tower will be the world’s tallest drop-tower ride.
All I can say about this currently is: huh.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
NemesisRider

I highly doubt this will happen. Interested to see more details on Falcon’s Flight since that render is pretty bad (would it have been that much work to do a NoLimits 2 render instead?).
Ladyofthelake

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this. Whilst some of the rides look impressive in theory, I very much doubt if some of them are even physically possible to be built. I know I'm not the only one to have notied that parts of Falcon's Flight just are not possible as they appear to go against the laws of physics - I'm not even sure if any reputable manufacturer would attempt to build the thing.

Then you have to look at the wider issues that surround not just the park, but where it is. It very much strikes me that the park would be aimed at domestic tourists (i.e. citizens of Saudi Arabia), and is almost designed to stop them needing to leave the country to get a similar theme park experience. Saudi Arabia has a questionable human rights record, and it's stance on women's rights and the rights of other groups would mean for many people, it would be a no go place to visit.

I suspect it might be the case that a theme park will be built, but not to the extent that has been announced.
Dom

If I didn't want to add to the conversation, I would literally reply sarcastically with Yeah, have fun with that.

But as I want to reply properly I will add more. On paper, Six Flags Qiddiya could work. I mean, I know its failed twice alread, and yes, Falcons Flight is basically a good concept to create and talk about the park, I have huge reservations. I can fully understand what they are hoping to achieve, but as Ladyofthelake has already said, Saudi Arabia's history on human rights will hold people back from visiting. It's all well and good having highest, fastest etc, but if the people you are trying to attract to the park aren't actually going to visit, than what is the point. I for one have no intention in visiting the Middle East, purely because I may not come back. 

I hope for the people of Saudi Arabia that it becomes a realization as I think it could be a great success for them, but I have zero faith. 
ponder

I'd say this is as likely to happen as Six Flags Dubai.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
theparklifekid

Intamin to bring Falcon's Flight to life in 2023

New Promotional Video

Qiddiya Investment Company (QIC), in partnership with Intamin Amusement Rides, has kicked off the design process for the Falcon’s Flight, the signature attraction of Six Flags Qiddiya – a one-of-a-kind theme park scheduled for opening in Qiddiya’s first phase. Falcon’s Flight is set to become the world’s longest, fastest and tallest coaster. It will travel across approximately 4km, feature a vertical cliff dive maneuver into a 160m-deep valley using magnetic motor acceleration (LSM technology), and achieve unprecedented speeds of 250+ km/h.

Qiddiya’s Chief Executive Officer, Philippe Gas, commented on the signature ride saying: “Rollercoaster fans around the world have been eagerly anticipating this ride since it was announced as there is nothing quite like it anywhere else. Now  we are in the design stage with the experts at Intamin and the engineering team at Six Flags, the excitement is building! Falcon’s flight will  dominate the skyline at Qiddiya weave all the way around our destination, right out of the theme park, up the cliffside, and down the cliff face – the greatest drop of any ride in the world; it won’t be for the fainthearted!”

Daniel Schoppen – Vice President Design & Development, Intamin Amusement Rides – commented: “I will never forget the moment when I was standing at the edge of the 200-meter-high cliff on the Tuwaiq Mountain in Qiddiya, looking into the valley and imagining the creation of a future record-setting roller coaster. I knew that exactly at this spot, The Falcon Flight will dive down along the cliff, ending in a unique exhilarating 250+ km/h proximity flight close to the ground. The worldwide unique setting and heights such as the natural cliff will enable us to design an architectural masterpiece in steel.”
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Chris
Admin
Admin

It's exciting, but I'm imagining the delaminated wheels, overheating, and technical issues already. Hopefully they will nail it!
AZ Explorer

After hearing that Intamin have visited the sight the more I am convinced that the roller coaster probably will be built, by maybe 2024/2025. I am sure it won't look the same as in that animation. I am still tying to comprehend what a launch into a record breaking drop would feel like.