Looking to make friends

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Wildboy

Hi my name is Alex 36 from me Portsmouth. Im looking to make some like-minded friends who also enjoy theme parks and rollercoasters.

I have been to 33 theme parks and have 140 credit's ( not that I'm really counting)

I would describe myself as having a reserved interest rather than classify myself as a full coaster nerd. I monitor websites like screamscape to keep up with the latest news and follow various vlogs in order to help formulate my own travel plans which normally consist of 1 or 2 theme park holidays a year. My partner enjoys theme parks and rollercoasters but sometimes asks to drop plans for a second or third trip of the year and doesn't care too much about who manufactured the ride etc etc. I literally don't know anyone else who shares my common interest so I'm looking to change that.

I'm aware that there are various coaster meetups taking place which would be an ideal opportunity to make friends but I don't quite categorise myself as being part of that kind of group and feel that it would be a leap too far but if anyone is in the same boat as me and looking to chat/share experiences and ultimately meet up sometime then start with hello and see where we go?
Swarm Chris

Hi Alex :)

I was in a similar situation to yourself last year. Being active on this forum, in the shoutbox at the bottom of the forum homepage, and attending events organised by the site, has given me a great opportunity to meet people and form friendships. Compared to the beginning of last year where I visited primarily on my own, this year I've been at a park every weekend since the start of March and think I've only had 2 visits where I haven't at the very least bumped into someone I know, which has been great.

In terms of meet-ups, the events that TTSP organise are a great way of getting to know people in a relaxed environment, where both the organising team and attendees will go out of their way to welcome new people. I know I wasn't alone in being somewhat apprehensive of attending my first one, perhaps for some reasons similar to yourself, but the diverse group of people these events attract and their shared enthusiasm for having an enjoyable day, very quickly undid these concerns.

Maybe check out the shoutbox in an evening, and say hello to whoever may be chatting in there. :)
Dom

Hello fellow southerner.

I think many of us who are active on here are or were in the same boat. Before I found TTSP I had no friends. The great thing about this community is that there is usually someone around to have a chat with or someone planning on visiting a park.

The events do take a leap of faith, especially if you don’t know anyone, but it’s worth remembering that everyone will have been there and we do try to talk to everyone and help everyone feel welcome.

Try and get involved with different areas of the forum and get involved with the different games and conversations that are always happening. Everyone is welcome on here is welcoming and friendly too which helps :)
NemeJaney

In addition, while there's a good range of nerdiness levels on here (ranging from chilled theme park fans to raging geeks) what we all share is an appreciation of finding such, rare and like-minded humans, and even friends for life, so yeah I'd say pop along to a meet one day and see how it goes :D as the others have said above, every one of us has had that 'first meet' dread, but have never looked back since. Hope that helped, and hope to see you one day!