Daytona Beach - Sand Blaster accident

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dungeon-X-Smile

That's terrible! My wishes go out to those involved and their families. 
Robert.W

Just yet another Pinfari derailment... last one was Tsunami at M&D's which derailed and landed on top of another ride. Hope everyone recovers okay though.

abigsmurf

Not sure how much blame can be attatched to Pinfari. They build a pretty large amount coasters and most of them go to low budget parks and funfairs, the kinds of places where it's more common for them to be less attentive on maintenance and safety.

Didn't M&Ds have a dodgy inspector who missed a telltale sign of imminent failure?
Robert.W

Yes, that was the reason given for the M&D's accident, I believe. 

What you say about the types of parks that typically operate Pinfari coasters is very true, which probably explains why there seem to have been so many small accidents like this happen in the recent past. I know M&D's have paid out £100,000s over a small number of years to an unsettlingly large number of people who have been involved in accidents of varying magnitudes at the park. I think it really raises questions about safety practices at some of these smaller parks, not necessarily the rides they operate. 

abigsmurf

An accident report has been released:
https://www.freshfromflorida.com/News-E ... tona-Beach

Basically the coaster was allowed to run way too fast, relying on safety wheels that are meant to be used as a last resort to keep the trains on the track. Fairly damning is that there was evidence of this happening by marks on the track and it was ignored. Even worse it seems that there had been multiple derailments that were covered up