Tokyo Disney Resort

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Robert.W

Couldn't find a topic for Tokyo Disney Resort, so thought I'd create one for it. I did do a search as well and couldn't find anything, but if there happens to be a topic already here feel free to merge this post! Anyway...

Major Expansion Announced for DisneySea!

Earlier today, the Oriental Land Company, alongside The Walt Disney Company announced that the resorts second theme park, Tokyo DisneySea would be receiving a $2.27 billion expansion which will see the construction of a new "Port" which will be split into three mini lands, to be themed to Frozen, Tangled and Peter Pan! As well as that, there will also be a new 475 room hotel incorporated into the expansion. The expansion will be built on an area behind the park's Arabian Coast and Lost River Delta themed areas on land currently used for parking. The new expansion is said to be completed by 2022.

Below are some pieces of concept art for the new expansion!

Frozen themed "Arendelle"

The Frozen themed land, Arendelle appears to be shown in this image! This land will include a boat ride which will tell the story of the characters, Anna and Elsa from the Frozen movie. There will also be a restaurant which will be located inside of the castle.

Tangled themed "Rapunzel's Forrest"

The Repunzel's Forrest land, themed to Tangled, will have yet another boat ride, this time said to tell the story of Rapunzel's "best day ever" with Flynn. This land will also have its own restaurant incorporated into the new area.

Peter Pan themed "Neverland"

Neverland, which will be themed to Peter Pan will feature two new attractions. A "next gen" version of Peter Pans Flight which will feature famous music and dynamic 3D imagery to show the characters in the film. Another new attraction, the Pixie Hollow will also be built in this area. As well as these, the land will also have its own restaurant.

Fantasy themed Hotel

The new 475 room hotel will be built into this new expansion much like Hotel MiraCoasta which is located at the entrance to the park. The hotel will offer fantastic views of the new fantasy themed areas. The new hotel will provide some of the "finest" accommodation at Tokyo Disney Resort. 
Last edited by Robert.W on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abigsmurf

Building two boat rides at the same time is an eyebrow raising choice, especially considering it sounds like it sounds the Tangled ride follows almost the exact same format as Frozen. 

Wonder if either Peter Pan's Flight or the Tinkerbell ride will use the Soarin/Avatar systems. I'd guess it's either that or the Ratatouille one.
Robert.W

Yeah, I am a bit concerned with how many boat rides they seem to be building... I know DisneySea is all about ocean / sea themes etc., but they might be taking it a bit too literally with the amount of boat rides!

On the flip side, while it is great that they are expanding the park, and I'm sure it'll be done to the extremely high standards we've all come to expect from the OLC, I just don't think the fantasy themes really fit in with the rest of the park at all. I have always liked DisneySea because of how real it feels, and I just don't think that can be achieved with these new themes, even if they are completed to a very high standard.

It'll be interesting to see how the project develops, nonetheless. :)
Last edited by Robert.W on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swarm Chris

Tokyo DisneySea already has Soarin', so hopefully Peter Pan will be something new. Whatever it is, no doubt the theming will be excellent.

Boats are somewhat standard fare for Disney high capacity dark rides though.
ThemeCrafter264

There is always the chance that Sinbad may be rethemed so the ride system can be used again for this new area, bearing in mind the planned site for the new port is very close to the Arabian coast port.
Robert.W

They definitely won't retheme Sindbad! They just wouldn't. It's an incredibly unique and popular ride, so it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to remove it.

theparklifekid

In this video update we have the upcoming “Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast.” dark ride having a showcase of the ride and animatronics

I think the coolest thing is a walking Belle! The ride will open in 2020
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
abigsmurf

Jesus those animatronics are impressive, so glad they're not just relying on projection mapping faces. Up to 50 people in a scene at a time, Disney are definitely trying to make sure their rides have plenty of capacity (which is great given the crowds).

Interesting they've gone with the original animation rather than the so-so remake.