Christmas & New Year at the Alton Towers Resort

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Zach

It seems every other festive event has its own topic, Christmas had one but that was way back in 2008 and little less relevant. So I thought about time we discussed the Christmas period and have somewhere to share experiences, thoughts and possible ideas for the Christmas and New Year period. 

-Have you visited the Resort during this time? What is it like & would you recommend it? 
-Any pictures? For those who can’t make it or it’s to far for the offering, I’m sure they would love to see what goes on. 
-What would you like to see the Resort do during this festive period? 
-Where is best to stay to get the most out of your visit? 

I have visited the Resort for the last 3 years during this time of year and I have to say it’s the only thing that really gets me into the spirit of Christmas, the lights, the tinsel and the festive Cheers matched with the cosy fire place in ATH paired with Live Christmas songs nothing beats it. I’ve only visited as a day guest each year and have to say the year the Resort allowed day guests into the park was the best one and I’d like to see them do this more in the future! 
Dan

I’ve never visited Alton outside of the main theme park season (with the exception of FHT when that was still a theme park event) but I’ve always wanted to experience the resort at Christmas time.

From photos that I’ve seen over the years it looks so much more magical than normal but I do think they’re missing a trick by restricting theme park access to Short Break guests. This essentially rules me out of ever visiting over the Christmas period due to my work demands :(
Justin

I've never experienced Christmas at the resort but would love to try out their festive offerings; new year in particular!
Zach

For those wondering what goes on and what the resort looks like, I headed up there myself and thought I'd pop a few sneeky pics in here for you! Enjoy! But don't go stealing my photos, ask permission first if you want to use them else where. 

ImageImageImage
Just a taste of what the ATH looks like at Christmas time. Apologies for the low quality Imgur hates me haha. 
DeadJack5

It looks fantastic! I imagine there is such a warm, fuzzy buzz around whilst this Christmas event is on! I also agree with Dan with the resort restricting it to just hotel guests. I would love to experience this festive event, maybe in the future.
Justin

As reported by TowersTimes Facebook page; The Enchanted TiPi has to be one of the most impressive elements of Alton Towers Christmas event.

Beautifully decorated with lights and woodland themed garlands, the TiPi creates an enchanting festive atmosphere where guests can enjoy festive music, make their own decorations, and meet the elves, Christmas fairies, Mrs Claus and Santa.

Robert.W

Oh wow, that really does look nice!

Justin

Throughout December, Alton Towers have been hosting magical Christmas experiences at the Resort with three different Santa Sleepover options, alongside a range of festive entertainment.

TowersTimes were given exclusive access to take an in-depth look at the Resort’s complete Christmas offering.

Robert.W

Some great pictures in that report! Alton Towers looks absolutely stunning this time of year!

Cobby

I've never personally visited due to the restrictions however like mentioned before the park looks magical in the snow and just imagine what the towers would look like in the snow. As a only a few attractions are open, which is understandable, I can see something like a Christmas market working really well if they decided to open to everyone over the festive period. I know it was something they tried a few years back but it was on a Friday so many people couldn't make it.
ROYJESS

I've visited the park once when it was covered in the white stuff and the towers do look very magical in the snow.
SilverBullet

Hi all,

Does anyone know if you can use a Merlin pass to get a discount on the Special Christmas packages put together by Alton Towers? Like the Santa sleepovers at the hotel etc?

It does say that the standard Merlin pass discount cannot be used in conjunction with other special offers, but was not sure if this would count?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

SilverBullet wrote:Does anyone know if you can use a Merlin pass to get a discount on the Special Christmas packages put together by Alton Towers? Like the Santa sleepovers at the hotel etc?

It does say that the standard Merlin pass discount cannot be used in conjunction with other special offers, but was not sure if this would count?
I don't think it's possible to get MAP discount on Alton Towers' Santa Sleepover packages, going by what is said on this page:
Receive up to 25% off when you book to stay between 12th July — 2nd November 2018 at the Alton Towers Resort Hotel, Splash Landings Hotel or an Enchanted Village Lodge and up to 20% of all other Park open dates (excluding Santa Sleepover packages).
aflack

Is anyone aware if the Towers will be running something between xmas and new year this year,  last xmas they continued the xmas entertainment and rides but with-out the Santa bit?  It worked quite well if you have younger children and was cheaper than the pre-xmas event.  How-ever there is still nothing up on the website for short breaks and I thought that strange considering last year I booked earlier than this.

Is it also likely that Wickerman will be included in the xmas stuff this year......I find it strange there are so few more thrilling rides and even building the Wickerman you would have thought it would have allowances so it could run in colder weather so could run in these events as its so close to the front of the park?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

aflack wrote:Is anyone aware if the Towers will be running something between xmas and new year this year,  last xmas they continued the xmas entertainment and rides but with-out the Santa bit?  It worked quite well if you have younger children and was cheaper than the pre-xmas event.  How-ever there is still nothing up on the website for short breaks and I thought that strange considering last year I booked earlier than this.
The Alton Towers Holidays site does have a page for this season's Festive Breaks (for dates during 27th — 30th December 2018 & 1st – 6th January 2019), although it doesn't look like it's possible to book yet, with it still saying 'coming soon'.
aflack wrote:Is it also likely that Wickerman will be included in the xmas stuff this year......I find it strange there are so few more thrilling rides and even building the Wickerman you would have thought it would have allowances so it could run in colder weather so could run in these events as its so close to the front of the park?
The page linked above also states that it will be a "selection of rides and attractions in CBeebies Land and Mutiny Bay", which I can't imagine would include Wicker Man.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Alton Towers PR have asked us the following question:
A bit of an odd question but here we go! Do you happen to know anybody who owns an Alton Towers themed Christmas jumper, that they’ve perhaps knitted themselves?
If you do - please let us know! You may be featured in a Christmas media story.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

A look at the Resort's 2018 Christmas offering was posted on TowersTimes News last night. The complete galleries are also now available on the website.

Chris
Admin
Admin

A survey by Alton Towers suggests that different options for a new Christmas event are being considered for this year. It mentions an ice skating rink, Christmas market, as well as the illuminated light trails that were available during the event last year.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/KFC7GY ... ey_March21

What would you like to see at the Resort's Christmas event?

Would love the ice skate in the shadow of the Towers!