Rita - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Luce

Rita for me is an ok coaster and as some have said, not worth a long queue.  Having said that, the launch is probably the best bit as the rest has got a little jolty but I do make a point of going on it whenever I visit. 
tallicay2k

It's worth going on once, the initial launch is an awesome feeling but I prefer stealths.
Definately not worth a queue of over 30 mins. Theming is pants and IMO shouldn't be there.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
TheOutpatient

whuuuuuushHHHH!

Kind of like that :D
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Inferno Attractions

TheOutpatient wrote: whuuuuuushHHHH!

Kind of like that :D
Thanks that has really helped me make my mind up  :lol:

Also thanks to everyone for the advice
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
Lee

It's an interesting sensation. Once you've taken the first right banking turn, it's all a bit meh after that. For your first launch, it's a perfect starting block. It'll help you work your way up to top hat elements such as Stealth.

Go for it, you'll enjoy it :)
Katherine

It's a good start to going on launch coasters, as long as you keep your head back, you'll be fine.  :)
Mark.aa

See my new post I'm scared of air and I'm 40, but Rita is a rush.
Different things scare different people, mines heights. But try and watch the traffic lights at the launch as they will warn you when you are about to go. Keep your head back or you will hit the back of your head if it launches when you're not ready. The launch straight is the best part, after that it's like a high up faster version of Runaway Mine Train, just fast banked turns.
Last edited by Mark.aa on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lucy2244

I love Rita, it's always a good buzz especially if you haven't rode it in a while!  :lol: However, I don't recommend wearing earrings, it can get pretty painful when your head is banging on the restraints and the backs of them are digging in  :P
Rita is a good ride, and worth the little bit of fear you might get before going on. I was always scared to go on Rita, I still find it the scariest to face- it's quite scary standing in the queue about to go on for the first time, but you will not regret it one bit and it's worth it all the same! That's part of the buzz when it's all done- that you've accomplished it.
scw55

I've never understood people's intimidation of rapid acceleration coasters.
Surely the launch is just the same as being in an Aeroplane during take-off, but you're exposed so you feel the air wooshing past?

To me, Nemesis and Oblivion (and even Thriteen) are a lot more intimidating than Rita.
pandapanda134

I was really scared of Rita once too. I have only been on it once. I only went on because it had a really short queue and my legs were aching so I did anything to sit down, even if it was sitting on a coaster. Rita was my first and only launch coaster. The trick with Rita for me, was to sit down and just relax. When the countdown is going, look straight ahead.. think of nice things or think of nothing at all. I just sat, looking at the horizon, straight ahead with a blank mind. Then before I knew it.. I was catapulted forwards.. and that was the most I have ever screamed on a ride. I hate rollercoasters what give you that feeling in your stomach alot, and the launch really does give you that feeling. It lasted for about 2-3 seconds.. but after that the speed and twists and turns are just so fun. I screamed all the way because the dips and drops made my stomach go all weird again.. but at the end when you come crawling back into the station it is such a great feeling. I said "I will definately ride that again" and so far I havent rode again, but I hope to on March opening day. So just go for it, when the queue is short (extremely rare) and you'll be so proud afterwards. I'm 15 by the way.. I am pretty sure if I can do it, anyone can. I am the biggest wuss. Good luck!
Inferno Attractions

Sounds like when you go on this ride you have to have an empty stomach because of the amount of things that happen to it. Unless you want to see your food again

Inferno Attractions
pandapanda134

Inferno Attractions wrote: Sounds like when you go on this ride you have to have an empty stomach because of the amount of things that happen to it. Unless you want to see your food again
I would suggest it would be better to eat after riding Rita than just before, yes!
Inferno Attractions

So just a quick update for you

I went on Rita, I was so terrified that I went green and almost cried But was well worth it.
I was very nervous right up to when we were boarding and then I just flipped and went mental as the restraints came down, (I bet I really annoyed everyone at the station :lol ) I panicked because I couldn't move my legs and the countdown. That was the longest 5 seconds of my life.

as you can tell, the launch wasn't so Magical! but the rest was amazing.
Thank you all for your advise and helping me through this fear of Rita

Inferno Attractions
sw7nutter

rita is absolutely nothing compared to stealth.
newrider

Rita is fantastic – you can't even see straight during the launch. The rest of the track is more "fun" than "amazing" – but strangely, I don't mind that.

A question for others… What is Stealth like? How many times more intense than Rita would you say it is?
pandapanda134

Inferno Attractions wrote:So just a quick update for you

I went on Rita, I was so terrified that I went green and almost cried But was well worth it.
I was very nervous right up to when we were boarding and then I just flipped and went mental as the restraints came down, (I bet I really annoyed everyone at the station :lol ) I panicked because I couldn't move my legs and the countdown. That was the longest 5 seconds of my life.

as you can tell, the launch wasn't so Magical! but the rest was amazing.
Thank you all for your advise and helping me through this fear of Rita
Well done! Omg. Now I need to get over my fear of Nemesis!
RollerCoasterTycoon2013

I didn't like it. It was too intense for me and I had my eyes closed for most of the ride. I'd hate to imagine how intense Stealth, Top Thrill Dragster, Kingda Ka, Formula Rossa etc. are.
liam.fearon.52

Still not as bad as Furius Baco that is brutal, especially when it rains
SuperWill

Hey guys! Now I've done The Smiler, Nemesis, Oblivion, Air and Th13teen but for some reason I always chicken out when it comes to Rita! I do plan to go on it this Saturday for the first time but does anyone have any tips for me? I need to get over my fear of launch coasters! Thanks in advance for all your help! :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
dollyry

Once the announcement begins after you're strapped in just take a deep breath and brace yourself back into your seat.

You'll be absolutely fine. You feel a bit shocked the first time you go on Rita but it's really not bad at all. The initial launch feeling is over so quickly (as is the rest of the coaster) that you don't get all that much time to think about it. I always find rollercoasters with lift hills scarier as you have more time to think then! Just my opinion.