Rita - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
sw7nutter

its in teh top 3 launch coasters in the uk because there hardly is any. If you compare it against just coasters in the UK then it shouldn't appear on any top 50. Im willing to say the flying fish is better than rita. Its certainly more scary.
ponder

sw7nutter wrote:Not just my opinion its fact. Rita is absolutely terrible. If any of you ever go ride maverick and come back to say rita is even half decent you would be called insane. Rita has nothing on the world stage or even the UK. Its not thrilling or offers anything even remotely fun, unless you count standing inline for nothing as fun.
Essentially, I agree, but I understand why it's popular in it's surroundings. It's not the people's fault that they haven't been given the opportunities to experience significantly better attractions than an off-the-shelf Intamin launch coaster.

However, at the risk of repeating myself over and over again, I'll never understand why it has OSTRs instead of lap-bars. Never.
definedancing

sw7nutter wrote:its in teh top 3 launch coasters in the uk because there hardly is any. If you compare it against just coasters in the UK then it shouldn't appear on any top 50. Im willing to say the flying fish is better than rita. Its certainly more scary.
Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly confident there are only three launch coasters in the UK anyway (Rita, Stealth and Velocity). For my money though, it's the best one of the three. I understand your opinion on how it's inferior to other Intamin Accelerators but for me it does what is required.
ponder wrote: However, at the risk of repeating myself over and over again, I'll never understand why it has OSTRs instead of lap-bars. Never.
Ya know, I think it'd be a loads better ride with lap bars. Certainly much more thrilling and it'd suit the airtime hills better. But, the general public like to feel safe and snug, I suppose :roll: .
sw7nutter

Nothing can make the pile of scrap metal called rita more interesting. A lap bar may improve it slightly but it will still be terrible.
Ryan.B

Don't dis rita, not her fault she's an eyesore, she manages to pull the GP fine and she's not the fastest runner in the world, :lol
Sentri558

I personally hate Rita as a ride, just because of the fact that it goes quick, and it's pretty rough. Sure, it pulls the GP, but it also attracts them to the park = longer queues in general.

Rita doesn't look shabby, and she's pretty small, nonetheless she needs much better theming (giant tree's going past you in the face imo) but I just don't like her.

And yes. This is a mini-necro :)
definedancing

Well I personally like Rita. She's a babe and a lot of fun. :)

However. Was queuing for Rita on the 24th and they had to take a train off because it was rattling. Ran on half capacity for about 20 minutes with a painfully slow moving queue and they then put the train back on. But when we went on again about 6 hours later it was rattling again. They need to, you know, fix the rattly bits. It just feels dangerous aha.
Last edited by definedancing on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin

Rita
Brace yourself – as the lights turn green, Rita powers you straight to 100kph in just 2.5 seconds, putting your body through 4.5G. At lightning pace, Rita navigates every twist and turn of the track, as you break free from the clutches of the Dark Forest.

With the closed season upon us, how would you review Rita at the Alton Towers Resort?

[youtube]NoY_Z3X26EY[/youtube]
JC13

Rita is my favourite UK coaster, and my favourite non Spanish coaster. It is my 5th favourite coaster and I adore it. I know some people want it to close, but I love it. On the front row the launch is always incredible, and the airtime is great aswell. If this was to close we better get a powerful intamin in its place.

I know 99% of you will disagree with me, but this is my opinion
Liam.W

1. It has a great launch
2. It isn't as rough as people make out
3. It's very enjoyable!

It's a great ride that needs to be given some slack!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

JC13

Liam.W wrote:1. It has a great launch
2. It isn't as rough as people make out
3. It's very enjoyable!

It's a great ride that needs to be given some slack!
Finally! Someone else who doesn’t hate it!
Dom

I don't hate it and obviously the general public don't hate it either given its usually one of the longest queues in the parks. It has some great air time and for a simple layout, it is rather fun. 
Dan

Rita is my least favourite coaster out of the Big Six at Alton.

The launch is ok but nothing in comparison to Stealth and for the most part it’s very rattly which makes it unenjoyable.
Nickolai

Rita is one of those rides that it I forget how good it is. Although it isn't anywhere near my favourite coaster, I must say it is an enjoyable ride. The rides I have had on it have only given a rattle and it is pretty bearable. The launch and airtime makes it for me. Any Intamin Cable Launch Coaster blows me away and the launch on this ride certainly does.
Formally Smiler313
Justin

I don't know what to really say about Rita?!? It is one of those rides which is neither one thing or another, but by far the launch is the best thing about it. As you speed around the circuit, it is easy to feel the G-force upon your body, however, the ride has one of the weakest backstories in the park and the ride doesn't really fit the area, although saying that, it fits in more so now than it ever did with Ug Land. The ride is not one which I would rave about as there are better coasters in the park. If I had to say which one would go first out of the Big Six then Rita would get my vote! It fills a gap and offers variety for guests, but it is not my favourite!
Morgan

I err... really don't like Rita. I find it incredibly uncomfortable, it doesn't really fit in with the area, and takes up a decent amount of space. I don't want to sound too negative but... it's my least favourite coaster I've been on. If you enjoy it great, I didn't go on it this year and I don't plan on riding it anytime soon.
Justin

I think you make a valid point, Morgan. It is uncomfortable to ride, especially if you're 6ft 1 as your legs are up against your chest. 
T0mPr1ce

It's alright I guess, I really enjoy the launch but apart from that it's not that memorable. I just think it's quite short and over before you know it. It seems to pull the crowds whenever I'm there though. I've always thought if a major ride was to be removed, Rita would be first.
vikkimoo

6 footer here and I love it! The only discomfort I've ever got from it is that the first time I went on it, I got massive bruises on the back of my arms (triceps area) from holding on so tight at the launch...

Sadly I can see it being the first of the big 6 to be removed :(
DeadJack5

Out of the big 6, this is my least favourite but I still enjoy it. The rush, the turns, the little jumps make it a great ride. I wouldn't normally queue more than 40 minutes for this though.

I think it's a great ride and I don't feel too uncomfortable whilst riding but it's not my favourite and the retheme it had to make way for Th13teen wasn't the best. But overall a good ride for families and would say it's a good stepping stone ride.