The Drawing Board: Dark Forest Concepts

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
Justin

I've just been looking at the Towers Times site and the internet to find out more about past areas and thought I'd post a bit on the forum to spark a little bit of discussion too. The first area I decided to look into further was the Dark Forest, which was commissioned to take the place of UG Land, however, did you know that the following ride and area themes were looked into? Would you have liked to have seen some of these plans come to fruition?

Rides
  • Vertical Launch Coaster
  • Woodie
  • Tilt Coaster
  • Dragonfly Coaster
  • Roboarms
  • Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter
Themes
  • Rock Blasting (The Quarry)
  • Dragon Lair 
  • Robots
  • Ghost Rider (Wild West)
jwewan

A vertical launch coaster? Is their any of them already in the world? How would that work? Or does rip ride rockit sort of count as that. I'd of taken Rip Ride Rockit at towers for sure!
Bert

jwewan wrote:A vertical launch coaster? Is their any of them already in the world? How would that work? Or does rip ride rockit sort of count as that. I'd of taken Rip Ride Rockit at towers for sure!
I believe it would of been the same model as Wicked at Lagoon in Utah which was made by Zierer.

On another topic, I hope they look into adding Roboarms one day and an American Diner at Towers would be nice it would make sense with Merlin's exapansion food outlets at their parks.
[Insert Signature Here]
Justin

I find it interesting how The Quarry was dismissed. I suppose it was too similar to UG land in terms of appearance and industrial compared to X Sector. The Ghost Rider theme I just cant see myself at Alton!
Dungeon-X-Smile

Dragon lair makes sense, i guess because of the castle, but i feel like that would've been very similar to Cheesington and Dragon's Fury.
TheDuke

Honestly I think quarry would be seen as cheap as it wouldn't be a major change from UG land. I also think that the UK doenst have the climate to do wild west theme correctly. I think dragon lair would work but I think the current theme is the most fitting one
Justin

Certainly the best theme was chosen. I like the way they have gone down the abandoned race track theme more in recent years.
Robert.W

Dragon Lair seems interesting... I can sort of imagine how Thi3teen might tie in with this theme with some adjustments as well. Perhaps when Rita is gone, they could explore this theme a little more. It would give Towers an oppertunity to have an immersive area themed around a more light hearted idea, yet still provided some family laughs and frights, as Alton Towers call it.