Spa retraction downsize reduction and/or general discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
timmy1372

What happened to the spa? The UK 1st cbeebies hotel means the spa loses most of its natural light and all of its conservatory and outdoor space.

The receptionist said they are getting another outdoor area soon but I can't help but feel the spa has been severely neglected during this recent hotel expansion, they could of easily improved it during its Lengthy closure, but instead they made it worse.

The spa staff actually said they were made redundant before the closure and didn't have a clue what was happening, seems a little unfair on the staff.
Robert.W

I can't blame them for not prioritising the spa. With so much else on the resort to do and the general target market being families, I imagine the spa is already a little underused... would it make much of a difference it it was closed entirely?

timmy1372

If it was gone it would make a huge difference to my extended family and if we go to the resort and how often, the decision maker of the family is probably swayed by there being a spa more often than you think, plus it was certainly busy enough in the spa at the beginning of this week to warrant improvement rather than closure
, I presume they would also lose there current hotel star status if it closed?
Robert.W

I would never class the spa as any sort of main atraction for coming to the resort, but rather as an added bonus, especially if you are staying at the Alton Towers Hotel. Certainly for my family, attractions like Tree Top Quest are more appealing and more family orientated. I guess it just depends on personal preferences, but I don't think that there being a spa plays any major deciding factor for too many people... four star hotels have to have a pool and fitness centre but a fully equipped spa isn't a necessity according to the AAA.