Wicker Man Area Speculation and Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
Justin

Looking at the map, it could work...

Jcoaster

and the SW8 construction path runs by haunted hollow
T0mPr1ce

Personally, I think a new mini-area (like Swarm Island) or a retheme of Mutiny Bay is on the cards. I reckon the reason why SW8 was listed in Gloomy Wood on the 2017 map was because its area doesn't actually exist yet - whether it be a new area or a rethemed MB. I know it's been said before, but to place it in the same area as Duel is ridiculous when you consider how close the SW8 site is to Mutiny Bay.
Justin

If Haunted Hollows was to be rethemed (which I assume would be the easiest and cheapest to retheme) then I would expect Gloomy Wood to be reduced in size to include just Duel. This would allow Haunted Hollows to be renamed or incorporated into SW8. There is nothing stopping the area being renamed as 'The Woods' which then leads to the 'Gloomy Wood'.
Owen

You’ve got to remember that the park map is very different to actually being at the park. Having an area where you can’t see it’s only attraction for 80% of it sounds a little odd to me!

In reality having the area above would be something like this -

Adam.W

Owen wrote:You’ve got to remember that the park map is very different to actually being at the park. Having an area where you can’t see it’s only attraction for 80% of it sounds a little odd to me!

Another point is that arguably, the entrance to the Haunted Hollow is located in Mutiny bay rather than SW8's area. It just seems a bit weird that there's no way to get from SW8 to the haunted hollow without passing through another area.

My problem with the Alton Village/harbour idea is that it just seems way too generic of a theme. It's going to be pretty difficult to retheme Battle Galleons, Marauder's Mayhem and Heave Ho to this village thing without having it clash with some sort of Pirate theme, as the two do not go in my opinion.

Another thing I noticed about SW8 is that it's buildings have very similar roofs as those in Mutiny bay (same colour, shape), just with an added green effect added to the tiles. To me it seems like SW8 could be a subset of Mutiny Bay's theme where it's some sort of outcast/abandoned part of the area. But I could just be looking into it too much or it's just a coincidence.
Justin

Owen wrote:You’ve got to remember that the park map is very different to actually being at the park. Having an area where you can’t see it’s only attraction for 80% of it sounds a little odd to me!

Agreed, when you see it like that it is actually closer than you think and confirms to me that this is a viable option.  One thing you must remember though is that the area will not work without theming. Having a walk through Village would work for sure. This is all about looking at possibilities and pure speculation. Unless someone has access to Alton's files then nothing is right or wrong at this stage :D

Although I have also speculated about Mutiny Bay, the more I think about it, the more I believe we will just get a stand-alone coaster with great theming! 
Owen

To me personally it wouldn’t work, not only do you need to cross through mutiny bay to get to haunted hollow as above I don’t think it looks close at all. It takes me a good 5 or so minutes to get from the SW8 site to Duel so I don’t see that as a good idea for an area really.

In my opinion the current front walkway is most likely going to be it’s own area, possibly using the new restaurant too. Using Haunted Hollow seems pretty out there especially after they’ve been adding/updating effects there over the last few years. Or who knows? They may tie it into the Mutiny Bay Theme, having the pirate/cult thing that you often see in pirate based movies which could prove interesting, maybe using the new restaurant as the cross over point...
Justin

Owen wrote:To me personally it wouldn’t work, not only do you need to cross through mutiny bay to get to haunted hollow as above I don’t think it looks close at all.

In my opinion the current front wall way is most like going to he it’s own area, possibly using the new restaurant too. Using Haunted Hollow seems pretty out there especially after they’ve been adding/updating effect there obercthe last few years.
Must have missed the updating of effects :P

Taking it as black and white, it has been suggested that it could be Gloomy Woods, so this is just one suggestion. If however, you think that this is out of the way, then using the same theory towards the Courtyard rules that out!

At the end of the day, who knows what is possible! :P
Owen

But the courtyard is directly opposite? One of its entrance/exits literally throws you out directly infront of SW8?

I must be missing something here.
Justin

:lol Deep conversation! :lol

The Courtyard would cut into the Mutiny Bay theming/area :D
Owen

It wouldn’t though, if the new restaurant was themed around SW8 that section would be out of MB’s way, and act as a transition area.

Orange - SW8
Blue - MB

That’s just an idea too, I could easily see it being the path infront of it. To me at least that makes a lot more sense than retheming Haunted Hollow...
Justin

That would mean rebranding catering outlets. You'd also walk from Mutiny Bay across SW8 Courtyard path back to Mutiny Bay. Personally, this would make the areas very bitty but as I say, anything is possible! 
Owen

But either way the front side of the courtyard will be right there so won't they need to be rebranded anyway?

And surely rebranding a couple food outlets and theming a new restaurant from the ground up is easier than retheming a whole section of the park and theming a new path?

I personally think it’ll be more contained but if it’s not hey ho, it just seems like it’d confuse people having the ride area start 5 minutes away from where the ride actually is. Like I say I think the small area directly infront of SW8 and possibly the courtyard could act as a mini area or even sub-area if MB, to me that’d make a lot more sense at least! :P
cookiee_munster

TheDuke wrote:
cookiee_munster wrote:This could turn out to be another Air... which I hope it's not.

A ride with a totally different theme plonked in a pre-existing area that already has an established theme.

It's great the designers get to create the theme's for each new SW project with story etc, but they need to think about the bigger picture and how the rest of the theme will fit within the land its going in...
I don't see that happening as the towers need this to succeed and be popular to the GB enthusiasts alike to truely clear their image. With it's current lay out i see it being like thirteen, a family coster which would make sense coming from a thrill ride like the smiler also air IMO is a perfectly good ride
With an absolutely dreadful theme, and now with added gumf to further it away from any way tying it in to forbidden valleys theme. I never said that SW8 wont be a bad ride, im sure it'll be great. I just think it'll be similar to what happened with air and the ride just plonked in an area with a pre-existing theme (Mutiny Bay) and have some half arsed way of making ride and land co-exist together. I just wish that the designers would make more of an effort to tie the theme and story of the ride to fit within the land its going to go in more so it doesn't seem to jarr so much.
razgriz33

Let's not forget that previously - we had bathtubs and rubber ducks! ;) anything better than that is a step forward.
118hazaman

razgriz33 wrote:Let's not forget that previously - we had bathtubs and rubber ducks! ;) anything better than that is a step forward.
This is true, the wooden/tribal/wicker theme we have so far is much closer to the Mutiny Bay style than the refurbed Flume ever was. To be fair, I do think that the two areas mesh decently right now, and have potential to be a single, larger area.
TheDuke

cookiee_munster wrote: With an absolutely dreadful theme, and now with added gumf to further it away from any way tying it in to forbidden valleys theme. I never said that SW8 wont be a bad ride, im sure it'll be great. I just think it'll be similar to what happened with air and the ride just plonked in an area with a pre-existing theme (Mutiny Bay) and have some half arsed way of making ride and land co-exist together. I just wish that the designers would make more of an effort to tie the theme and story of the ride to fit within the land its going to go in more so it doesn't seem to jarr so much.
I know I wasnt saying you siad it'd be bad ride I was referring to themeing that would fit into the surrounding area which I think they're doing quite well. We will see how it turns out over updates during the closed season.

We know that Duel is getting TLC this closed season and my guess we'll see a haunted hollow touch up/retheme too whether or not they'll link it too SW8.
S.J_O'Grady

I have a feeling that the teaser posted to Facebook this evening (see Construction topic) may have given us our first taste of the ride's soundtrack. A little like Th13teen in places.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Owen

I believe the audio in that teaser is from The Welcoming. :)