Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
Jack

lewis97 wrote:The lift hill is chain-driven, although possibly uses magnetic anti-rollback technology which is where the rumours of what you mention came from.

However, the video did show the train slowing right down at the top of the lift, so, assuming that isn’t part of the normal ride sequence, there’s the potential for the train to get a bit more momentum from the lift.
I have to jump in here, because when me and Deadjack5 heard it testing in real life the sound of the anti rollbacks was really loud, so I doubt they're magnetic :)
razgriz33

Jack wrote:I have to jump in here, because when me and Deadjack5 heard it testing in real life the sound of the anti rollbacks was really loud, so I doubt they're magnetic :)
Strange, I thought the design idea was they had magnetic anti-rollback for noise abatement! maybe it just didn't work out? is this relatively new tech for GCI?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

This selection of images from ground-level has been posted on Instagram, providing a look at the entrance, the wicker man itself, and some of the landscaping at the front of the ride (which does now appear pretty much complete).

T0mPr1ce

Really nice. It's going to look fantastic when all the plants have grown a bit more. I like the use of rocks for borders.
Bert

When they said this their best theming in a long time, They weren't kidding! The etrance has already surpassed my expectations! I hope this is kept up for the rest of the ride!
[Insert Signature Here]
Robert.W

Woah, it looks brilliant! And I agree, the are will looks even better once the plants etc., have grown a bit more! And the entrance sign is beautiful. :) 

TheBeornen

Wow that looks great, can't wait to be in the queue and seeing it up close in person.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Phild94

I really hope the top of the entrance pillars are connected up to the gas supply :D

Also great look to this already, a little bit more growth and greenery and this thing will look great.
Robert.W

Phild94 wrote:I really hope the top of the entrance pillars are connected up to the gas supply :D
Haha, I didn't notice that at first, but that would be really cool! Certainly looks like it could  be a possibility, and would make a really nice effect! :)

S.J_O'Grady

Interesting to see that the signage doesn't use the logo we're all familiar with, but I have to say this is looking amazing!!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Nickolai

I think it does. If you look behind the wording you can see the bottom 2/3 of the logo and a little wooden structure above with the remaining part of the logo.
Formally Smiler313
rolicoli8

Robert.W wrote:Woah, it looks brilliant! And I agree, the are will looks even better once the plants etc., have grown a bit more! And the entrance sign is beautiful. :) 
I disagree, to me the entrance sign looks very disappointing compared to the scale of the theming and style of the ride. Towers doesn't really seem to do grand entrances, other than the ruins themselves.
Teammaddiz

rolicoli8 wrote:
Robert.W wrote:Woah, it looks brilliant! And I agree, the are will looks even better once the plants etc., have grown a bit more! And the entrance sign is beautiful. :) 
I disagree, to me the entrance sign looks very disappointing compared to the scale of the theming and style of the ride. Towers doesn't really seem to do grand entrances, other than the ruins themselves.
I agree here, the entrance just looks... plain, as does most of the coaster from what we've seen. I hope significant planting takes place throughout the coaster to fill in empty gaps within the area and support this tribal theme going on. Judging by the new saplings put into place in the bottom left picture though I can imagine this is something they've done thankfully. As for the entrance signage I'd like to see something a little more interesting, perhaps vertically placed pointed wooden posts either side staggering into the ground either side to increase its horizontal size. Unlikely we'll see any changes here but would be nice nonetheless. 
Justin

Phild94 wrote:I really hope the top of the entrance pillars are connected up to the gas supply :D
I am of the same opinion. When seeing the photo, I strongly suspect that the top half of the logo will be real flames. It is hard to tell if other sections will be flames as well, but it could be that beacons will be used around the area/ride to enhance the theming.
Robert.W

Teammaddiz wrote:
rolicoli8 wrote:
I agree here, the entrance just looks... plain, as does most of the coaster from what we've seen.

As for the entrance signage I'd like to see something a little more interesting, perhaps vertically placed pointed wooden posts either side staggering into the ground either side to increase its horizontal size. Unlikely we'll see any changes here but would be nice nonetheless. 
The reason I like the entrance signage is because of the way it has been simplified, breaking apart the background, the text and the logo into three different layers, yet still portraying the theme of the ride well.

The red background is very bold and makes the other features stand out, so if you were a first time visitor, it would catch your eye and you'd quickly know where the rides entrance was. I also really like how the logo is just a simple black shape, giving it an almost burnt out effect, and puts further emphasis on the brighter orange "Wicker Man" text. :)

EDIT: Obviously, this is very, very inaccurate from the real thing, but I think it does show what I'm talking about.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Have moved the posts relating to Wicker Man’s train to the General Discussion, so as to keep it all in one place :)
Loakin

TowersTimes have released these pictures on their Facebook. Notice the burnt part of the wooden posts, confirming that they will have flame effects!
Also, it looks like the warning and height marker boards are up, as well as a nice new look to the Katanga Canyon pathway.

Dom

I really like the sign. Its simple yet very effective
Dan

It all looks brilliant! I especially like the rune markings and flags/bunting that are dotted around the ride area and queueline.

Every time I see new photos of how this project is progressing, it makes me want to see it in person even more! Thankfully we don’t have long to wait.
Zach

In real life it looks phenomenal and very impressive, the centre theming structure is very imposing on the area and viewable all round.

I think come March people are in for a treat!