Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
awalker

Tom170499 wrote:
awalker wrote:
T0mPr1ce wrote:It's reported that there has also been a delivery of wood.
That's what she said.
With that being your first post, I have to ask, did our create an account just to say that? :lol
No, have had an account for a while, but would have created one if I hadn't. Was amazed that nobody got there before me.
T0mPr1ce

The two curved concrete walls with earth removed between them in the last picture looks like a trench, the sort of trench the coaster might pass through?
Bert

Guys, Wood is finally on-site! :D
Credit to TS Facebook.
[Insert Signature Here]
T0mPr1ce

ATI

They look like steel supports... looks like it's going to be a hybrid...
We were born to fly...
ry1996

^It was said on the planning application that it's all wood, not a hybrid. The wood just goes straight onto the steel brackets which are attached to the footers.
OhShambhala

Oh my, I can't beleive I missed this today. Could we see vertical construction within the next few days/week?
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
Rita Fan

Oh my... it's THAT time during construction of a new ride! The appearance of its components!
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
T0mPr1ce

OhShambhala wrote:Oh my, I can't beleive I missed this today. Could we see vertical construction within the next few days/week?
I'd say so, we've seen a lot of foundations so possibly they're ready to go with the actual footers. Wood has arrived to start being cut on site and of course GCI themselves have now arrived. Vertical construction before the end of the month certainly.
Guitar

Does anyone know if the park has a timelapse camera installed anywhere to watch it go vertical?

If not, is there any interest in seeing a timelapse of the build? I was going to write to the park and ask, but I guess it would carry more weight coming from these forums, if the interest is there of course.
Bert

Guitar wrote:Does anyone know if the park has a time-lapse camera installed anywhere to watch it go vertical?

If not, is there any interest in seeing a time-lapse of the build? I was going to write to the park and ask, but I guess it would carry more weight coming from these forums, if the interest is there of course.
Don't ask me on the accuracy on what I'm about to say but I believe the park record a time-lapse of every ride that is constructed or demolished, I remember seeing some on the demolition on the corkscrew and construction on The Smiler.
[Insert Signature Here]
Owen

There was one for The Smiler however there haven't been any others as far as I'm aware. So far with SW8 we don't really know as I'd imagine they'd reveal it after the layout is complete much like with The Smiler. :)
Ladyofthelake

The first footers, further work on the rollercoaster’s foundations, possible signs of special effects, and the first delivery of timber. Things certainly haven’t been quiet on the site of Secret Weapon 8 at Alton Towers.

TowersTimes News have a full construction update from last weekend. Enjoy :)
Rob
Admin
Admin

Hopefully they learnt from Smiler and are ahead of schedule.
Ryan.B

Looks ahead of schedule to me.. they could have this thing up before 2018 at this rate, doing testing from around december meaning... an actual opening day on the first day of the season!
Owen

Whilst I'm confident it'll open on time, remember to keep an open mind as there may be a lot more to be built than just the station and layout! :P

Getting back to construction, Theme Park Worldwide have posted these images...

This shows the top of the site with footers in place. For those wondering what those little brackets are, they are what hold the support to the footer and are put on just before wood goes up.

So these look ready to go and I'd imagine we could see wood very soon!
andy_sj

Looks like the brackets have just been placed in rough positions, none of them are actually bolted down to the concrete yet. I guess they will need to drill and anchor all the holes as they go. Good to see though and yeah, I think we should be seeing some wood being bolted in place very soon! Exciting times!
Robert.W

I cannot wait until we start to see the construction of the wood supports. It'll be an interesting project to follow as I've never seen a wooden coaster construction before!

andy_sj

^ 2nd that Robert. I've seen bits and bobs of wooden construction but never followed a whole project from start to finish. Usually don't pay much attention because they always seem to be in some far flung park that I've no hope of being able to visit anytime soon! Alton is a 5 hour drive away for me so there's a good chance of being able to get a visit in once every few years!
looptheloop

As few photos taken from the Skyride today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk