Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
simononestop

lewis97 wrote:They're for 'extra' supports. If you look on the following plan you can see that most of the turns are supported in a similar way in order to give the required strength and stability.

hmmm if the supports are on the inside of the first turn then that means it banks to the left around the turn.
which says to me that the cart is traveling slow as the weight is being supported in the middle of the turn.

if it was a launched lift hill and the cart went round the first corner quickly the weight would shift and push more to the outside on the corner. the supports would have to go out further round the outside of the corner?

so no launched lift hill
theflamingbrick

simononestop wrote:
lewis97 wrote:They're for 'extra' supports. If you look on the following plan you can see that most of the turns are supported in a similar way in order to give the required strength and stability.

hmmm if the supports are on the inside of the first turn then that means it banks to the left around the turn.
which says to me that the cart is traveling slow as the weight is being supported in the middle of the turn.

if it was a launched lift hill and the cart went round the first corner quickly the weight would shift and push more to the outside on the corner. the supports would have to go out further round the outside of the corner?

so no launched lift hill
Whilst I agree with you that the train will be travelling around that top corner slowly, what you say isn't quite correct. Supports can still be positioned on the inside of the track corner, but instead of providing resistance through compression, they rely on working in tension. This does rely on good fixings down into the concrete foundation to prevent it from toppling over though.

Theoretically the train would have to travel around the top corner relatively slowly, purely due to the radius of the turn. It's far too compact of radius to warrant any high speeds.

However, it does not completely rule out a launched lift hill, as the launch could be primarily at the bottom and coast up the hill until it has reached an acceptable speed to go around the bend. Lightning rod kind of does this (albeit not quite to this extreme) as the launch mechanism does not go all the way to the top. Using this approach might be troublesome though, as it would need to calculate the required force to reach the top at the correct speed, based on the weight of each train.
Owen

I don't think people are expecting a massively fast launch, more so because of the tech used it's technically a launch as the train is being pushed up the hill rather than pulled by a chain. As said above the supports being on the interior isn't uncommon for a wooden coaster, and I would say if it was an outward banked turn it'd be uncomfortable slow or fast. It should be noted that the hill has a change in angle also, so a system like lightning rod doesn't seem too crazy!

Anyway, back to construction! I'm still keeping my expectations in a reasonable place with the speed of construction, after all there are a fair few more things to do with a wooden coaster and we aren't sure what this theming element will consist of mechanically!
Aidan Lowe

Thursday 15th Construction Update:

They are making a fairly deep excavation at the last picture and when I left they were still digging deep. :)

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
PhNx Survivor

How close is the track to that structure.. do the pictures make an illusion? :yikes:
Owen

PhNx Survivor wrote:How close is the track to that structure.. do the pictures make an illusion? :yikes:
Close enough! :lol
simononestop

that's quite a angle on the turn as well as it goes under. got to be 45 degrees or more
Aidan Lowe

TowersStreet is on park today for a meet and have posted a new image of the theming structure.

View image, needless to say at this point I don't know what it is but it isn't resembling any form of body shape at all.

I should be back on park early next week for a few days for more photos of the work progressing.
Owen

I'd still hold off making any judgements on what this is personally. It's really not resembling anything right now and we aren't sure how it's going to grow!

It's certainly interesting though :P
Aidan Lowe

Here is a short video from Theme Park International youtube page showing the construction site. TowersStreet only posted a picture of the main theming structure but this shows an overview of the site as currently is.
dazza4783

Aidan Lowe wrote:TowersStreet is on park today for a meet and have posted a new image of the theming structure.

View image, needless to say at this point I don't know what it is but it isn't resembling any form of body shape at all.

I should be back on park early next week for a few days for more photos of the work progressing.
Looks like it is going to be the head and torso of a Wicker Man. 
Justin

I'm not convinced it will be a Wicker Man personally, unless it is going to be sitting down and what we are seeing is the torso?
dazza4783

Not sitting down, just the top half of it. Like it is buried or breaking out of the ground (ground breaking). Story likely being that recent excavation work uncovered it.
T0mPr1ce

Wow I hadn't thought of it like that, that's a very viable prediction
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Assuming the plans are still a fair representation of what's being built, it looks as though the theming structure has only reached about half its final height so far...

Owen

Lewis raises a good point. In my eyes it's way to early to say what this thing is or isn't, because it could go anywhere from here. To me there's no reason to believe it's not a Wickerman at this stage considering what we have seen from the plans is more to go off at than the base frame work. :)
dazza4783

lewis97 wrote:Assuming the plans are still a fair representation of what's being built, it looks as though the theming structure has only reached about half its final height so far...

If my prediction is correct then we still have the neck and head to come, you can see at the top of the existing structure it is tapering inwards to what looks like it will be the bottom of the neck. We can see from the plans that the nose and mouth will be sticking out from the face like an animal of some sort so also likely to have ears pointing upwards or horns to add to the height. Also the arms could be reaching upwards to give that height. Although by the looks of it on the plans the arms are down by it's sides.
So my guess is the themeing structure is a Wicker Man, the trains will be themed to fire and there will be fire effects on the Wicker Man as the train passes through it.
Capt.Barnacles

Here is why I remain of the belief this is outright not a wickerman, and in my mind it has premise. Say for instance that the existing structure is a torso and it's tapering inwards for a head. What explanation can be provided for what appear to be over a dozen connection plates spread across the angled beams going in multiple directions?

I stay with my belief of the rockwork render and if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Not much can really be done about that, it's just speculation after all.
dazza4783

Capt. Barnacles wrote:Here is why I remain of the belief this is outright not a wickerman, and in my mind it has premise. Say for instance that the existing structure is a torso and it's tapering inwards for a head. What explanation can be provided for what appear to be over a dozen connection plates spread across the angled beams going in multiple directions?

I stay with my belief of the rockwork render and if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Not much can really be done about that, it's just speculation after all.
Obviously to connect the wood to (or covering material, may be real wood or something else made to look like wood like the tree on Th13teen), this is just the framework. It will be covered to look like it is made completely out of wood like an actual wicker man. It is far from finished right now.
Owen

We're stepping back into speculation again, Let's get back to construction guys! :P