Tulley's Shocktoberfest

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dom

Tulleys Shoctoberfest is here once again. The annual scare attraction has 8 haunts, roaming actors, live music and food. This year there are two new haunts, PanDEMONium's 3D Carnival and Coven of 13. The other haunts are The Colony, Chop Shop, Creepy Cottage, The Horrorwood Hayride, Hellements and The Cellar. More information can be found here
Here is some more information on each haunt.
THE COLONY
They survived the apocalypse...will you?
The apocalypse has been and gone. Disaster has won. Survival of the most violent has remained. The darkest souls never start in packs - they find each other in the silence. Fearing nothing but themselves, they join together in a protective tribe of self-preservation; feeding, breeding, co-existing solely to survive. Only they know the suffering they endured to be here, where brute strength is useless against ruthless violence; where humanity has all but vanished.
Always learning, always evolving, they've earned the right to exist in The Colony. You haven't...

HELLEMENTS… THE RITUAL
A hooded highway to Hell!
“Traumatic rituals create strong bonds between those who experience them together.” So says the Goddess Hel, Queen of the Netherworld. If you enter here, then you must endure the ritual of the Hellements. Walk amongst the shades and shadows, your senses challenged, your eyesight taken, your head shrouded with only a rope for guidance. In an all new story for Hellements 2015, The Ritual will take you on the darkest path yet. Deep into the Netherworld, can you escape the decomposing queen of death? Will you complete the ritual and survive? Or will you join the realms of the inglorious dead and be doomed to endure the Hellements forever?

THE CREEPY COTTAGE
A Creepy Classic Returns!
Throughout the years, the Haunted House has seen a lot of comings and goings and some say many of its previous inhabitants have stuck around, unable to pass over. That doesn’t mean to say the long standing tenants aren’t friendly. They’d like you to stay. Stay for a very long time. The spooks in here believe in a traditional welcome and will show you all around the house – even the winding corridors where the lights don’t work and the rooms where the floor boards have been eaten away by creepy crawlies. There’s a lot of long since passed family members hanging around in there too – it seems so cruel to bury them underground… Shocks and scares to bemuse and bewilder you. Once you get in, will they let you back out?

THE HORRORWOOD HAYRIDE
Trailer rolling, Action!
Explore the abandoned back lot......at the Horrorwood Film Studios Haunted Hayride! Back in the Golden Age of cinema, the Horrorwood film studios in their secret woodland location, were booming, full of glamour and intrigue and bursting with life. Now all old Horrorwood is bursting with is DEATH. After the terrible incident with the actor who played ‘The Woodsman’ the old studio was forced to close and all the movie sets and props remained abandoned in their woodland setting. Lots of actors lost their jobs, and were never on screen again, but worst of all, they lost their fame and celebrity. Some believe that the old actors from all of those years ago still act out the scenes of their glory days on the old set, unable to move on in this life, or the next. Lights, camera action!

THE CELLAR
Creatures crawl in search of… YOU!
Once an old farm house, but left to wrack and ruin, the Cellar was due for renovation, but the developers went inexplicably missing. Others went to look for them, but they too disappeared without a trace. During October that year, we heard strange cries from within the building and suddenly scores of feral and ferocious creatures burst out. They were something less than human, but something more than animal, stalking and snarling. With the help of security teams, and suffering only a couple of fatalities, the creatures were forced back into their lair. They have resided there ever since. Witnesses have reported that this colony of creatures is larger than ever, and now there is another strange and venomous creature that resides within… Will you dare to venture in?

THE CHOP SHOP
For all your chopping needs.
Howdy y’all. Billy-Bob here. You lookin’ for a real nice vehicle? Well here at The Chop Shop we got trucks for your bucks. You need a trailer? A pick up? How about our speciality, a good old cut & shut? We got all the best old wrecks ready for you right here. And if we ain’t got what you’re lookin’ for, well, perhaps my brother Billy-Joe and Billy-Ray can help you out with their special… renovations. You better be careful now, those two boys are real handy with a reconstruction, I’ll be darned if you’ve never seen no one handle a chainsaw like Billy-Joe.
And if Billy-Ray asks you to lean down and look into the trunk, I’d run. Remember folks, once you go scrap you don’t never go back. Ever.

NEW - PANDEMONIUM'S 3D CARNIVAL
The greatest show not of this earth...
Mr PanDEMONium and his infamous circus are coming to town. It’s a circus like now other, some might say, “The Greatest Show on Earth” others may say, “It is not of this earth…”
You see Mr PanDEMONium and his band of travelling showmen are unlike the usual clowns and freaks and sideshows. There is something hidden within. Just like his name suggests, there is great evil hidden amongst the brightly coloured big top and the screams of laughter. Smiles can be painted on, but but what hides underneath?
The laughter quickly turns to terror when you see. If you venture far enough you may be permitted to see the evil in 3D. Three dimensions of dark, twisted evil that spring at you with every step. So, come and see the greatest show not of this earth.

NEW - COVEN OF 13
Alice Hemlock, Turners Hill
Is accused of causing ill.
Music rough and ducking stool
Alice lowered unto the pool.
They swam the girl until she drowned
And buried her roughly in barren ground.
Heavy stones to keep her place,
In case some evil should escape.
Women gather, just a dozen
Avenge the death of their dear cousin.
Poppets moulded, formed and stitched
All accusers shall be witched.
Coven of twelve has often been
But the darkest witch makes this thirteen.
The thirteenth witch can give salvation
To all they curse, or eternal damnation...
Who is the thirteenth witch?

They also have roaming actors, I managed to get some images of some of them.

Dom

Tulley's Shoctoberfest have recently posted this image on their FB page

It had the following text with it - A type of haunt that chills you to the bone... Makes your spine twitch and your palms sweat... Are you prepared? 
Robert.W

It's not exactly a catchy slogan! :lol

Danny

From conversations had at ScareCON it certainly sounds like it'll be an exciting season :)
Dom

ScareTrack announced that Tulley's have revealed there 2017 line up with Hellements is no longer in the line up. Coven of 13 and PanDEMONium's 3D Carnival have been renamed to The Twisted Clowns and Coven - The Village. Also a new maze is in the line up, VIXI.
hursty

In case it's of use to anyone, there is currently £3 off the XScream ticket with code SHOCKEM3
Dom

Having visited Tulley's last night I can safely say its better than last year on 7/8 of the mazes, but of course that is purely my personal opinion. For me The Colony and Coven of 13 were the stand out mazes this year. Very highly themed, great immersive stories and some really great scares. The level of themeing in the the mazes are incredible and the roaming actors are just brilliant. If you have never visited than i highly recommend visiting as its just brilliant. Plus The Horrorwood Hayride has a brilliant surprise!
hursty

Fantastic, really looking forward to this year.

I thought the concept behind Coven of 13 was stunning last year. I walked through the first scene with the lake, just repeating the word wow! Great creativity.
Danny

I also visited last night, and having wanted to visit for the last 4 years, I had big expectations!

It was a fun night, and the detail and theming within the mazes are astounding, truly immersive. They seem an ideal length before it gets too much, and the layout of the event works really well. It was also the first time I've done a 'haunted hayride' style attraction, which was absolutely bonkers - thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

The huge downside to me was the actors. In some mazes they were few and far between, and I personally don't think the themes were translated/executed very well. The majority of the mazes I was grunted at or lots of gibberish was being spoken. I understand this suits some mazes, but it got a bit boring after a while. 
However, the roaming actors were brilliant and really added to the overall atmosphere. Coven of 13 had a stunning first scene as Paul mentioned, totally original, and incredibly effective.

My concern would be that the first night was preview night, which limits the attendees to half of a peak night. On 3 mazes I waited in excess of 30 minutes, and I did start to get a bit fed up. Had I been waiting any longer, or the same amount of time for all 8 attractions, I wouldn't have been happy. I also found chainsaws and squeeze sections incredibly overused. I also found it sneaky how Hellements has been given a new name, but remains almost identical to previous years.

Pro's:
Wandering actors
Atmosphere
Variety of food outlets
Live entertainment stages
Details within the maze

Cons:
Wait times for what should be their quietest night
Actors need more time to develop
Chop Shop became very repetitive with chainsaw abuse

Overall I enjoyed my night at Tulley's. It didn't live up to expectations, I wouldn't rush back, but I'm glad I can now say I've done it :) 
hursty

That's a shame, it was perhaps as you mentioned - it being the first night.
The queues can certainly get up, from what I've seen hayride can easily reach an hour queue. But that's something you'd get easily get with Thorpe, or even Alton on a bad year!

I'll be interested to see if those things have been fixed when I head down.
Tulleys do some really good prices if you book next years ticket whilst you are there, which means you can get some heavily discount prices.
This also helps if you want to pickup the tickets that offer fastrack and/or multiple maze entries - which does help with the queuing issue
Dom

ScareTOUR reported last that Tulley's will be introducing a 9th maze to next year's line up and that it will be themed to a prison/jail. It does however look like that sign may have been there since they opened and no one actually noticed :lol

Photo Credit to ScareTOUR
Adz
Admin
Admin

Exciting!

The recent additions to Tulleys have been phenomenal in terms of theming and set design, I'm curious to see what they can do with a prison theme. 

I sadly didn't get there this year, but I've already pencilled it in for next season. 
Dom

Tulleys have recently announced that Dok Haze and his circus of horrors will be rolling into the scream park for their 9th scare attraction. 
Blending Horror and Burlesque with Bizarre and unbelievable acts from an almighty cast all performed to live rock music.
The world famous Dr Haze and his army of freaks have arrived at ShocktoberFest and will be taking you deep into  the heart of the Asylum where the most deadly dangerous & greatest Circus of Horrors performers from out inglorious past are detained inside the confines of the notorious Psycho Ward.
Check performance times on arrival at the park.
Entrance is included for Xscream, Fast Track & VIP pass holders.
It is called The Circus of Horrors,
I'm so excited about this. Dr Haze and his whole team are amazing so I'm very excited to see what actually happens. Roll on this years visit!
hursty

Early bird tickets on sale Friday 7th Feb

Dom

Tulleys announced that 2 new attractions will be at the scream park this year as well as the return of all but 1. The Colony did not appear on the list, but it is apparently going to be given a new theme this year.