Scarefest Mazes for First timers

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
DeadJack5

Hi there,

Me and my friends are planning to go to Scarefest this year mid week and i've been once before in 2010. My main concern is that i've never done the scare mazes there or infact ever done one (besides Nemesis Sub Terra's live attraction bit). I'm concerned that my friends will want to do these and i have never done one before. I'm scared to go in and try them.

Is there any tips you can give me for doing these mazes if i do end up going in them? Thank You.
Stan.H

As silly as it sounds, I'd recommend doing House Of Monsters first (as that will almost definitely be tame), then move up to TotT, then Skin Snatchers (or whatever they've called it now!) and finally Sub-Species (that is VERY scary and intense).

Also before going, I'd say maybe watch one or two horror movies, to get used to jump scares!

Don't over think them, and remember - you won't die, your safe, and it's all for your enjoyment! Hope this helps, have a great time!
S.J_O'Grady

Main tip is definitely to start with TotT. Actors behave in the mazes just like they do in the scare zones so you know what to expect from them. They're really not that bad once you get into it, and its great fun.

However, Sub Species is pretty intense. Just stay calm and don't try to run or get stressed in there. Let actors do what they want to you and work your way through at your own pace. You could try to stay with one of your friends but then if they're more likely to come at you and try to split you up.

Can't really give any tips on 'Skin Sn... erh, Altonville.. legend, thingy' as obviously I've never done it.

Just remember that they are just normal people under the make up!

Have fun!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Although you may feel quite nervous prior to entering the first maze you'll probably find that once you're in and getting on with it that it may actually be more enjoyable than you expected. They're not designed to be a mentally scarring experience, as while the actors will want to elicit a response from you, they won't overdo it to the point where you're a broken mess in the corner, provided you're not of an especially nervous disposition which you don't seem to be given that you're considering doing the mazes.

You may actually find that speaking/interacting with the characters that you encounter (rather than trying to avoid them) humanises them a bit more, and allows you to keep in mind that they are just actors and everything you're going through is fictional and therefore safe.
Liam.W

lewis97 wrote:You may actually find that speaking/interacting with the characters that you encounter (rather than trying to avoid them) humanises them a bit more, and allows you to keep in mind that they are just actors and everything you're going through is fictional and therefore safe.
This is what I did on my first ever ride on Duel when I was nervous, I just spoke to the animatronics in a humorous manner (I was just saying they look like my uncle, much to my Uncle's dismay. :lol

It worked a treat and I loved it!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Justin

As Lewis says, you may feel nervous at first, especially if there is a wait to enter, but they are great fun. I would attempt ToTT first as you enter in a conga line, but everyone has fun and you can't help but smile!
Sub-Species is on another level. It is certainly the best maze there, but you will be on your own at times. I still can't work out that maze as it seriously disorientates you!

While they will make you jump in places, they are something that i'd recommend you try. If you have walked through Sub-Terra, especially with the actors present, then you will be fine!
Danny

I agree with all of the above. Start with TotT as you will feel safer and secure being in a conga line, make sure you go in the middle so you have someone guiding you in front and behind you. If it all gets to much just close your eyes and hum, don't panic as that'll just make things worse.

I've worked in scare mazes for the past three years, and they're trained to recognise visitors actions and body language. A good scare actor will push you to your limits, but as Lewis said, there's nothing more rewarding than seeing and hearing the excitement and enjoyment of our guests, we don't want to reduce people to tears and panic attacks... Only for extreme experiences :P

Hope this helps :)
JonDoesTT

The feeling when you come out of a maze is amazing, it's honestly worth doing the maze just for that. Once you get past the build-up, it's extremely fun and enjoyable. You'll regret not doing them if you don't :lol

Credit to NemesisRider
Nutty Man

I know this is an old topic, but i am not a big fan of actors jumping out at me and stuff. I was wondering if scaremazes would be for me it if I should just generally avoid them. I gave never been to scare fest before and so wanted to know what the atmosphere was like, etc...
Does anyone have any good advice? i haven't planned to go to scare fest, but would like to know if I should.
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
S.J_O'Grady

I'd recommend Scarefest even if you don't do the mazes. There is a great atmosphere with the coloured lighting etc, and rides in the dark feel so different. You could at least do the scare zone(s), and you should be alright in the mazes. They're more fun than scary, you'll likely run out laughing!

Assuming next year's line up isn't massively altered, start with TotT and give them a go.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Ladyofthelake

Nutty Man wrote:I know this is an old topic, but i am not a big fan of actors jumping out at me and stuff. I was wondering if scaremazes would be for me it if I should just generally avoid them. I gave never been to scare fest before and so wanted to know what the atmosphere was like, etc...
Does anyone have any good advice? i haven't planned to go to scare fest, but would like to know if I should.
The great thing about Scarefest is that there is so much more to it than just the full on mazes. The atmosphere is generally very good, and with the park open until 9pm you have the chance to do all of the rides in the dark - something you don't get to do at other times of the year. In terms of scare attractions you have great family enertainment from the Alton Ancestors and their flash mobs, and the Freaky Four on the trick or treat stage (the Freaky Four are more aimed at young guests though). If you're not sure about mazes I'd suggest doing House of Monsters first which is the family maze. This is an excellent attraction and is much more fun than scary. From that you can move up to the scare zones before then trying the higher impact mazes. As has been suggested, start woth Terror of the Towers, then I'd suggest The Welcoming (if it returns), then Sub Species and Altonville Mine Tours (these last two are about equal in intensity so it doesn't matter which order you do those in).

Of course the line up may change for 2018's event, so it's worth looking nearer the time to see what this year has on offer. But, even if you just go for the overall atmosphere and rides in the dark you will have an amazing time :)
Robert.W

Nutty Man wrote:I know this is an old topic, but i am not a big fan of actors jumping out at me and stuff. I was wondering if scaremazes would be for me it if I should just generally avoid them. I gave never been to scare fest before and so wanted to know what the atmosphere was like, etc...
If I could only visit the resort once a year, it would have to be during Scarefest.

Overall the park atmosphere is brilliant, with Towers Street decorated with all things Halloween, pumpkins, scarecrows, hay bales etc., as well as what has become one of my favourite Alton Towers musical scores, the Resorts Scarefest music that plays in various places in the park.

I'm quite similar to some people here, that I've never done any of the mazes in the two years I've been able to visit during Scarefest, so I couldn't really give advice on that specifically, but as fore the scare zones, I'd definitely give then a try. If you are a little nervous about doing them, my advice is to find out in advance where about in the park they are located, so you will be able to find them before you walk straight into them like I once did with Dark Apocalypse in Forbidden Valley in 2016!!

Then there is all the different entertainment the park has to offer such as the kids entertainment at the bottom of Towers street as well as the Alton Ancestors who appear in both Towers Street and Gloomy Wood for a flash mob dance routine at certain times in the day!

Obviously, like Ladyofthelake pointed out, the 2018 lineup might be different, but in general, I would say that it is definitely worth a visit, even if it's only for the rides in the dark (which is why I visited to be honest)!

DeadJack5

Since I originally I opened this topic, I have done scare mazes at both Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. For anyone who is in the situation that I was in, I have a few tips and advice for anyone wanting to brave the mazes that have probably been said already but helped me.

If you're going to try one for the first time, go for a maze with a conga line, non contact aspect. I know it's pretty obvious but you won't get the intensity as you would with a full contact, free flow maze

If you're going for mazes which don't require purchasing a ticket for, I would strongly recommend going for a short queue. It's like with anything, if you're in a long wait for a ride, your nerves will be building and will question is it's worth it or not (which they definitely are). During my first maze experience, the Maze was e-stopped which extended the wait even longer for me which did make me more nervous and anxious.

Go for a maze when it first opens, given it is day time, the Maze won't be as scary to go in. Plus most actors are still getting into the swing for the day and won't be in full form as they would on the night when the experience is more scary.

Most importantly. They are just humans like you and me. They won't hurt you. Nothing bad is going to happen. It's just a bit of fun. They are meant for excitement and adrenaline like any other ride you would go on.

Just sit back, let the actors do what they need to do. Don't be alarmed and enjoy the experience. Some of the mazes I've been are such great fun and provide a real rush. I would definitely recommend them. Hopefully this helps anyone who is on the fence about doing them :)
Nutty Man

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm going to try go next year ( I've already planned a trip for this year!) :)
Complete credit goes to the bubbleboi
JC13

You should be fine, last year was the first year I did Mine Tours, Sub Species and the Garbage (Welcoming). Start off with House of Monsters, it’s just fun. Then do TotT, My friend did this for the first time this year and loved it. Becuase you are in a conga line the maze feels less intense, especially if you aim to be in the middle. Then do Skin Snatchers (If it is still there). This maze is a step up from Terror but not on the level of Sub Species. The actors do touch you, but most of the time you’re just laughing. I got e Stopped in my first run through after we ended up in the TotT coridoor with Midnight Syndicate playing. We walked through the maze with lights on and when I went in again it didn’t feel intenese. (DON’T try to do this, this was an accident)

Then do Sub Species, this maze is intense, after both my run throughs I think the mazes are less intense early on in Scarefest, as the actors were significantly more aggressive in the final week, and don’t stand infront of a door, you will be pulled through it if you are (Coming from personal experience)

If you can do Sub Species, you can handle any other maze, just don’t build it up to be scary