Europa Park/phantasialand

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
craig.day.92

Hi guys, Im looking to take the partner away to either one of these resorts on the first week of January 17 and was wondering what everyone reviews were on the park its self, We wont be staying onsite due to funds which is a shame and was hoping someone knew of any good hotels near by and the best access to the park from the UK. Any help/Tips/Reviews/Guides would be awesome. :lol
Sentri558

I have no knowledge of Germany, but I went to Phantasialand on a school trip.

Transport in and out is very good, and the park is excellently themed. If I were in Germany and had the cash I would definately return.

Great rides and great themes, though I do question the staff ethics as I had a nosebleed on a coaster and nobody cared, blood on the seats and everything but I'll let you make of that what you will.
Ladyofthelake

Having visited both Europa Park and Phantasialand recently I can recommend both parks as amazing places to visit. I stayed onsite so can't really advise on nearby hotels, however in terms of transport links, both are really easy to get to. Europa Park is around an hour from either Euroairport, Basel (where I flew into), or Stuttgart airport - the better flight deals do tend to be to Basel though. Phantasialand is just over 40 minutes from Cologne Airport.

As you are planning a trip in January I would check very carefully what will actually be available. Like in the UK, both parks have a winter closed season with a limited offering over the Christmas period, therefore you would not be able to access the full park at that time of year. Phantasialand is allot smaller than Europa Park, if it is your first visit to a German theme park I would probably lean towards Europa, however whichever one you visit I know you'll have an amazing time :)
craig.day.92

Thank you for your excellent replies, I had forgotten about the wintering opening times and i do believe not that many of the main rides will be open which is a shame, I was leaning more towards Europa but now I may have to get back to the drawing board! Port Adventure maybe...
Ladyofthelake

Port Aventura I believe is closed in January - best to check their website calendar. I'm not sure if they operate a full ride line up on the days they do open during winter, best to check with the park to see what they have planned as the first week in January may be the last week of their Christmas event.
craig.day.92

From what I can make out PA is open the first week of January but doesnt suggest if they offer a full ride line up, Europa park have the main coasters out in this period.. Who has a birthday in January hey, Im running out of options.. Do I dare say DLP?!