X-Sector refurbishment?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
JustWill

I don't know about you, but the X-Sector in my opinion seems to be the one of most run down areas in the park, if not the most. Whilst some could argue that it fits the theme, I think it just makes the area look really dilapidated. I've come up with a few ideas about areas to refurb and I'd really like to hear your opinion on it.

Oblivion.
-Queue-line videos revamp. No new script but videos remade for 21st century or modern-day relevance.
-Queue line videos audio is to be more audible.
-Queue line revamp, repainted areas that need it and broken/badly scratched things to be replaced (possibly including theming centrepieces).
-House visible from Oblivion exit to be blocked off (make non visible).
-Track repaint.
-Oblivion Shop (X-Sell) to reopen.
Enterprise.
-Area refurb in general
The Smiler.
-Pit refurbishment, water marks removed from walls
-TV screens repaired where necessary.
-Projection room to have projections fixed.
-Sweat smell removed from The Smiler head-bang pads (on restraint).
-Draining issues in pit to be resolved.
-Trains to begin duelling again.
Old Submission/Energizer ride area.
-New ride to be put in?
X-Sector area in General.
-Focus on The Smiler to be removed.
-Entrance lights to be fixed.
-Entrance to be repainted.
-Rehydrator Bar to be reopened.
hamcake

It also takes way too long to use the lockers, the software freezes for ages and it's all a bit cumbersome. I have no idea when they were put it, maybe it's been long enough to bring in a new system.
Morgan

The Smiler being removed? That won't happen for a while, especially as Merlin have just spent most of a year trying to get it back up and running again.
JustWill

Morgan wrote:The Smiler being removed? That won't happen for a while, especially as Merlin have just spent most of a year trying to get it back up and running again.
I didn't mean removal of The Smiler, more like the focus of the area turning away from The Smiler.
Adam.W

TMIwill wrote:-Track repaint.
That's the only thing I'd really disagree with currently, the track isn't in much of a bad state and was only repainted 3 years ago :)

Just a couple of other things that I think should be changed:

-Smiler game stickers removed, since the game probably won't be put back onto the stores
-Bits of the smiler track repainted/cleaned so the rust has gone.
-Improve the atmosphere surrounding the smiler again, somehow (screens, louder music (?) )
-Remove bits of the smiler's queue that won't be used again
-Clean the entire area, paint it, etc
-Add more theming and maybe even 2 new rides
-Make it feel more military like it did before The Smiler was built
JustWill

Adam.W wrote:
TMIwill wrote:-Track repaint.
That's the only thing I'd really disagree with currently, the track isn't in much of a bad state and was only repainted 3 years ago :)

Just a couple of other things that I think should be changed:

-Smiler game stickers removed, since the game probably won't be put back onto the stores
-Bits of the smiler track repainted/cleaned so the rust has gone.
-Improve the atmosphere surrounding the smiler again, somehow (screens, louder music (?) )
-Remove bits of the smiler's queue that won't be used again
-Clean the entire area, paint it, etc
-Add more theming and maybe even 2 new rides
-Make it feel more military like it did before The Smiler was built
I do agree with all of these. I feel like The Smiler ruined the theme of the X-Sector a bit, it's become a bit confusing.
Justin

Alton Towers have X-Sector in their sights! :moj

While no plans has been confirmed, they will be looking at X-Sextor as part of Towers Loving Care over the coming years!

Watch this space!
owenrita121

I'm abit confused about your comment about the trains dueling again? They do still duel, but just like before the accident it was always hit or miss and was never actually designed to duel in the first place.
Again for Oblivion's track repaint? It wasn't even done that long ago, there's more rides in the park that need repainting much sooner than Oblivion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Twinklepark

I think X-sell could easily reopen without the need for extra staffing. Just combine the till with the photo kiosk and the 2 people there could man both with no extra payroll costs.

I think it should be prioritised rather than all out refitting the area. Hydrator needs to reopen and the whole area around it and the hole need some tlc. But the most urgent is the oblivion queue line. The indoor bits are just in an awful state now and haven't changed since the late 90's. I would like the ride to be subtly themed to fit with the Smiler as well. Keel the Lord of darkness and the orange colour scheme etc, but perhaps a few ministry of joy swirl symbols (but in orange) and something to link it to the Smiler story a little. (although I notice in the original Smile. Always viral videos in the lead up to the Smiler opening there is a reference to "Don't look Down!")

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
PaxmanValenta

When I went last month the only thing I noticed was that they have repainted the orange arrows in the queue line but the queue line in general needs if anything a deep clean. Some of the queue line monitors have dirt and other detritus on them that's gone sticky over time. Plus the paths and alot of the scenery is starting to show age... queue line clean more than anything needs doing!
Last edited by lewis97 on Sun May 22, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed swearing
Just keep pushing buttons...
Ryan.B

Was on TS earlier, saw this post, which gave me the idea of a rejuvenation of Oblivion, so here goes...
bluesonichd, post: 167072, member: 1334 wrote:if any of you horrible lot lay one finger on my beloved Blivvy I will chop them off !
She needs nothing doing to her, apart from adding an off load station, :)
This, has given me an idea...

As we know, Oblivions story mentions riders disappearing, and the unknown etc etc.. and there is a line, "You may not be coming back". This could be implemented into a new concept, with an offload station, and tweaking of the station to allow a baggage hold.

I have this small plan, which in blue is the baggage hold building, pink is the offload, and green is the pathway.

The offload building and current offload platform would be blocked off from onload, to give the idea of riders disappearing. Really, riders get off in the offload platform, cross over a bridge (like the ones that enter the station) into an corridor, which is followed along, bags are picked up here, and riders walk back around the baggage hold up a ramped bridge that leads over the top of the offload platform, flattens out as it goes over (Enclosed or visible to people in offload?) the offloading trains, before it reaches and extended (In height) section of the offload area now, down some steps by the op cabin and current baggage hold out into the open where we leave the station now, to lead into X-Cite.

Basically, the offload station gets riders off faster, and riders exit, large gates like on baron open, shuttle enters station empty with harnesses undone (Quicker loading) and it seems like the people that rode before have disappeared into Oblivion. Add in a slightly modernised story and queue, a full refurb, and the return of dont look down audio in form of on board speakers, and bravo! New for 2019! would be a small/ medium investment of around 4-8 million (Higher depends on whether it went floorless or not) and would update an iconic ride, and improve it even more.
Liam.W

Only problem with that is that you have circled the transfer track as a possible location for the offload station :|
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Owen

Why of all rides would Oblivion need an offload station?

The ride barely peaks past 20 minutes at peak times as it is, so by decreasing its load and offload time further will just mean less time in the queue, which is quite important to the ride as it helps build suspense. All oblivion needs is a refresh and an update, maybe a station refurb but nothing overly major...
RedStar98

I'd definitely like to see the Oblivion shop re-open, I don't actually remember when it closed but I felt quite disappointed to find it all boarded off last weekend. I don't think the videos should be changed though, I really like the ones they have at the moment (my favourite video/ script in the park) and I think changing them would change the atmosphere too much. I agree with the need for changes in the queueline (tidy up of damaged/scratched areas) and maybe something done about the excessive length of it, but generally I like the feel of the ride as it is.
JustWill

RedStar98 wrote:I don't think the videos should be changed though, I really like the ones they have at the moment (my favourite video/ script in the park) and I think changing them would change the atmosphere too much. I agree with the need for changes in the queueline (tidy up of damaged/scratched areas) and maybe something done about the excessive length of it, but generally I like the feel of the ride as it is.
I do think the videos are great too, however I think that they have aged quite a bit and aren't very 21st century-appealing, not to mention that they are not very audible in the queue. I do agree, I also really like the area and the way it builds up the atmosphere however it has been left to become quite badly damaged. The theming elements don't need to change, but the whole area is in need of a touch-up.
Ryan.B

Basically, maybe the offload idea wasn't fantastic :P What I would like to see, is some way of the riders getting off not seen by the people in the queue, like they have disappeared. Maybe again like Baron with the gates.. Apart from that, and some way of making the queue videos more visible (Sun can get in my eyes so I cant see the screen). Plus, add some nice speakers so we can hear it better, and maybe, only maybe update the screens.
Kraken

Any ride with "dual bite" loading / unloading (i.e. separate offload & onload areas) generally suffers from reduced throughput unless it is run with more than the minimum number of trains. Alton Towers seem hell-bent on cutting costs to the bone this season (ride / food & beverage unit closures etc)... so you can guarantee they'd reduce ride staffing too if they think they can get away with it.

If you want a good example of dual bite loading - look at Dragons Challenge at Islands of Adventure. The ride only achieves it's nominal throughput with 3 trains on each track (so there is always a train waiting in offload to move to onload). Run with 2 trains or even one on each side and the queue moves just as slow as the staff on that ride do.
118hazaman

Just going back to the comment about The Smiler not dueling, which I know has been covered by someone else, but oh well.

1. The Smiler does duel if dispatch is in time.
2. The reduced number of trains, from 5 to 3, has meant that trains don't really wait anymore. This makes it harder to sync up the dueling process.
Cobby

To be honest I really enjoy X-Sector and how it's themed, especially Oblivion's theme, however my only knack with it at the moment is the fact that Oblivion doesn't use duel station loading/off-loading like it used to. I know it doesn't really need it but it's so annoying waiting on the brake run when the second part station is empty. :lol But I do still love both Oblivion and Smiler.
Aidan Lowe

Saw this, called Catwoman Whip on Theme Park Review. Could be a nice replacement for Enterprise which is a similar experience.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc