X-Sector refurbishment?

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
wamdue

that is almost too much of a straight replacement, Enterprise is totally over but im not sure that this ride is new enough to justify the cost.

I had thought they would at least retheme Enterprise as a junior Smilier, which obviously isnt going to happen now.

Isnt Oblivion's biggest problem is that its a one trick pony, a big drop, into a dark tunnel, sure it has track after that but nothing to write home about, that said the top of the rides, gives a really good view of the park. Freshening up the theme can only do so much.
JustWill

wamdue wrote:Isnt Oblivion's biggest problem is that its a one trick pony, a big drop, into a dark tunnel, sure it has track after that but nothing to write home about, that said the top of the rides, gives a really good view of the park. Freshening up the theme can only do so much.
Track can always be extended if the needs be, but the whole concept behind Oblivion is that it is a 'big' drop into a pit. The whole idea of the ride is that it's just you plunging into a pit 'never to return again' and that point can't really be made and the theme & story can't really be shown to guests (at least not well) without a good amount of quality theming or quality and audible videos detailing the story.

Oblivion's track is honestly the least of the problems. Any ride can be enjoyable if it has a fun and immersive backstory.
Ryan.B

Excuse me. Infusion, that would not be fun, even if themed to Disney standards..
Owen

However we are not talking about Infusion (although I do agree), we are talking about a perfectly fine rollercoaster that still does the job it was intended to do - scare you and give up a short but intense adrenaline rush. So yes, in this case all Oblivion really needs is some more theming and that to a higher and more modern quality. Personally I feel that changing it will detract from the ride, and when it's still often rated as scarier than the likes of SheiKra and Griffon - why bother?

If it ain't broke don't fix it! ;)
wamdue

first off dont get me wrong Saw: The Ride is obviously no where near as high, but it does have a drop element to it, and whilst Oblivion has a pit, Saw has some saw blades, which works much better for me. Two issues of course

1) the themeing of the Saw: The Rider is alot better, but it has alot more time, including on the ride to build on that theme, which due to its bigger height Oblivion would struggle with.

2) more track, it has alot more track than Oblivion, whilst it does have the drop, there is still more to come after it.

I am no fan of the film franchise, but I think its a good coaster.
Owen

Although slightly off topic, thought I should just mention it. Saw is actually 35 feet taller that Oblivion (so add half of the visible oblivion drop on top of it), although Oblivion has a much larger drop :)

In terms of comparing the two, it's a very odd mix because although they both have 'the big drops' they are completely different in every way. Saw was designed to fit a specific market for Thorpe Park much like Oblivion was designed for Alton Towers. Each pull off their signature feel very well (in my opinion) and so they should remain that way.

I can see what you mean about the ride being short, however when queues barely tickle 20 minutes you can't really complain! :lol
wamdue

Owen wrote:Although slightly off topic, thought I should just mention it. Saw is actually 35 feet taller that Oblivion (so add half of the visible oblivion drop on top of it), although Oblivion has a much larger drop :)
but unless I am very much mistaken, its the drop that people are going on Oblivion for, rather than the over all height of either coaster.

Owen wrote:In terms of comparing the two, it's a very odd mix because although they both have 'the big drops' they are completely different in every way. Saw was designed to fit a specific market for Thorpe Park much like Oblivion was designed for Alton Towers. Each pull off their signature feel very well (in my opinion) and so they should remain that way.
obviously Saw benefits from being able to use its theme alot more, its more recongiseable, and as I said, its even got more time, including on the Coaster to sell it.
Owen wrote:I can see what you mean about the ride being short, however when queues barely tickle 20 minutes you can't really complain! :lol
I dont know if the fact it has a short que, is such a good thing, certainly not if that is down to the amount of people going on it, I do recall the early advertising being focused on the drop, I just wonder after 18 years, that one element hasnt gotten old.

Stronger themeing will help of course, but I think it needs more than that, maybe a 2nd but smaller drop back underground, one more hidden away, which shocks riders, ala 13. (the surprise element, not how the train drops)
Owen

Both Saw and Oblivion are marketed off their drops, however you can see the whole of Saw's but not Oblivions which adds to the fear. I would expect Oblivion is still fairly popular, especially when it has a throughput of 1,700 people per hour, and the fact it's sat next to The Smiler.

At the end of the day it's very unlikely we will see anything new for Oblivion, especially not an inversion seeing as the trains can't go past 90 degrees (I believe). We will just have to wait and see :)
Aidan Lowe

Regarding Oblivion, its probably the only ride on park that when you look at the majority of photos there is some genuine fear in people which you can see in their faces on the first photo op when it hangs before dropping. That to me is proof it still does its job and is still relevant.

Not to mention it has some of the best hang time if not the best on the entire park which is tbh more thrilling than most of the other elements of the other rides.

And regarding Enterprise apart from its age its still a thrilling flat so and having a floorless OTHR version as seen in the video would be kinda cool as a direct replacement.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Ryan.B

I wouldn't expect a track modification in terms of an inversion, as they can sometimes be very expensive, plus new cars would be needed. I feel like X Sector will be focused on in TLC next year, with a flat.
Adam.W

Ryan.B wrote:I wouldn't expect a track modification in terms of an inversion, as they can sometimes be very expensive, plus new cars would be needed. I feel like X Sector will be focused on in TLC next year, with a flat.
I agree - A track change for oblivion is out of the question - you can't get an inversion in underground as the g's would be WAY too high (or even if they aren't, it will be really rough), and you can't get one above ground due to lack of space, speed, and planning restrictions. Even still, it would be pretty pointless anyway IMO.
Justin

Agreed, Oblivion will not receive any track modifications. It would be unrealistic and not economical for them to do so. The only way you will see adjustment it if the ride was to be replaces completely with a newer version, but I can't see that happening!

If anything, Oblivion will get a make over (new graphics, improved videos, queue line rework), but nothing more!
Nickolai

Justin wrote:If anything, Oblivion will get a make over (new graphics, improved videos, queue line rework), but nothing more!
I agree. I think with new graphics it will make the ride more modern, as I think with futuristic rides need to update so they don't look dated. Improved videos, I think with the videos a preshow would be quite good as the GP get a better understanding of what is happening. The only real way riders understand is if there is a long queue. Use screens similar to Galactica's which have a good resolution and the brightness is good. The queue definitley needs a rework as towards the start it is so easy to queue jump. Was the queue designed to have spaces in the bars or were they removed when it's busyness decreased?
Formally Smiler313
smokenmirrors

Justin wrote:Agreed, Oblivion will not receive any track modifications. It would be unrealistic and not economical for them to do so. The only way you will see adjustment it if the ride was to be replaces completely with a newer version, but I can't see that happening!

If anything, Oblivion will get a make over (new graphics, improved videos, queue line rework), but nothing more!
Agreed, would not make any economical sense to rip open the track and put in new section!

Would be great to see a new more modern look to Oblivion, it's looking a bit dated these days! Maybe we could get an IMAScore soundtrack??? :D

The only other thing (and I'm not saying this SHOULD happen because Oblivion still packs a punch) would be the possibility of them adding VR?? Just a thought...
Alex

Owen wrote:Both Saw and Oblivion are marketed off their drops, however you can see the whole of Saw's but not Oblivions which adds to the fear. I would expect Oblivion is still fairly popular, especially when it has a throughput of 1,700 people per hour, and the fact it's sat next to The Smiler.

At the end of the day it's very unlikely we will see anything new for Oblivion, especially not an inversion seeing as the trains can't go past 90 degrees (I believe). We will just have to wait and see :)
It may have a theoretical throughput of 1700 but it's been running on 1 station for most of the season and there still hasn't been much of a queue. It was mentioned at the talk during the Summer Sizzler that they wont put it on two stations unless it's more than a "small" day (I think that's what he said!)
Owen

Recent queues would say otherwise! :lol
Sawboss

I hope they don't change Oblivions soundtrack. The fact it's 90s drum and bass means it's very distinctive and stands out from other ride themes.
theparklifekid

Personally I think that Imascore should do a remaster of the Oblivion and Nemesis soundtrack, keep the music notes the same, just remaster it and use a bigger orchestral number to make it stand out more while keeping the 90s feel.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
S.J_O'Grady

Yeah, I've said it before but I wouldn't mind if IMAScore did the music for every ride in the park. Keep the classic feel but bring it up to date, and they'd definitely do a good job of capturing x-sectors weird science feel.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
towerslover

Personally I would be upset if Oblivions soundtrack was taken away imo it's amazing! Think x-sector just need themeing. Personally I think CCL is a bigger worry.