Oblivion

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
Lozzax

Hey everyone!

I am new to this website, I made an account to ask this aha.

I have rode Nemesis and Air, they are the only two "big" rides that I have rode so far at Alton Towers, my next one I am hoping to ride is Oblivion. I am pretty much terrified to ride it, although I LOVE rollercoasters and big rides and stuff. Can I hear any first oblivion experiences and please can you give me your preferances on the ride to help me out? Thank you :D
Burniel

Hi,

I did Oblivion last of all the big 6. I think you just have to go for it. I deliberately went when there was no queue so I didn't really realise what I was doing until my restraint came down. Just relax heading up the lift and around the corner, there's nothing you can do so what's the point in panicking?

I know some people who like other coasters but don't like Oblivion, so if you try it once and don't like it there's no shame there :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Tom

Oblivion was my first big coaster at Alton Towers after the Corkscrew, I always remember feeling quite intimidated by it and somewhat regretting joining the queue. However, after I'd actually been on it I loved it and it remains one of my favourite coasters. There's no real difference in any seating position, but I always prefer to sit in one of the end seats.
Liam.W

I'm not going to lie, the first time going on oblivion is scary, mainly because it's a sensation many haven't felt before so it is a completely new experience. I recommend going when it has no queue and just do it. There is no time to think about it and you can just sit down, pull the restraint down and there is no turning back.

Oblivion was the 5th big six coaster for me to do, and I was seriously scared beforehand. But now it is one of my favourite rides on park!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

owenrita121

I did Oblivion first of the big 6 at the age of 9, at first I was scared, it does look so intimidating, climbing the lift hill and turning the first corner felt like an age, same for the hang, as soon as we dropped I loved it, then hit the brake run and felt extremely disappointed. It wasn't that the ride was bad but all the hype and fear was for nothing, it doesn't last long enough to feel worth it, such shame, if it had a bit more to it, I'd rate it much higher. It's currently my least favourite of the big 6, and is likely to stay that way.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
lf2001

Oblivion was the ride I was most apprehensive about riding. The drop was very dominating and it didn't help that the ride broke down just before I got on for the first time. But the ride itself is very enjoyable and the drop is nowhere near as bad as it looks, and it's all over pretty quick. I really enjoyed my first ride and now it's my favourite! :D
S.J_O'Grady

Oblivion was the first big ride I ever went on. In fact, it was because Oblivion wasn't as scary as I expected that I agreed to go on all the others! :-)
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Adam.W

When I first went on oblivion, I sort of just walked through the entrance and queue without thinking about it, because I knew that if I started thinking about it I wouldn't go on it :P

Once the ride starts though it's fine because you know you can't do anything about it :lol
xylyx

The first time I did oblivion I was part of a group: me, my two sisters and my brother in law. They'd ridden many times and oblivion was the only ride that scared Vicky. I think it helped being part of the group as from the ground it is a terrifying ride and I would have been apprehensive without their confidence.

To be frank the worst part of it is the build up, it's purposefully slow to fill you with the dread of that cusp edging ever nearer. You can tell Wardley had a hand in it as it's perfectly stage managed to get your mind leaping to horrifying conclusions, however the drop is nothing because you're facing the floor anyway so to your perspective it's just a straight bit of track that you're rushing along.

My advice therefore is to just do it :) and don't close your eyes, I've a friend who goes with me sometimes and she still doesn't know what's written on the floor.

I always enjoy oblivion. Especially straight after the smiler and there's rarely a queue so it's just negotiating that queue line. I no longer fear it though as its like a scary film I've seen too many times lol
Aidan Lowe

It looks worse than it actually is. As soon as you get over your jitters the subsequent rides will be just basic euphoria on the drop. Doesn't turn my stomach but do love the sensation of dropping & the speed is quite intense going through the tunnel.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
JonDoesTT

Lozzax wrote:I am pretty much terrified to ride it, although I LOVE rollercoasters and big rides and stuff. Can I hear any first oblivion experiences and please can you give me your preferances on the ride to help me out?
Oblivion was the first big 6 ride I ever rode. I was completely terrified, like you are, but the best thing to do is just ride it anyway. This was before I became an enthusiast, and at the time I didn't like rollercoasters much at all, but I was obsessed with Oblivion for some reason. If you already love rollercoasters you'll be fine.
Since then I've ridden it many many times, and I prefer it to The Smiler. On my first ride I clung on, and I was absolutely terrified, but it gets much less scary the more you ride it. The drop isn't as bad as it looks from below, and it doesn't actually last very long anyway (which is my only major complaint about the ride). Overall though, its an incredible coaster and I'm sure you'll love it once you're either riding it, or have ridden it. :lol

Credit to NemesisRider