Dubai Parks & Resorts

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
theparklifekid

DPR received 2.3 million visitors last year, had initially counted on welcoming 6.7 million in 2017, but failure to achieve those targets has prompted the company to cut ticket prices, reduce costs and focus on the local market to drive growth. But the resort does not plan to cut costs further even as the company secured a Dh1.2 billion instrument from its major shareholder and restructuring its Dh4.2bn debt.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Chris
Admin
Admin

I'm glad they will persevere. As we know from Merlin and Alton Towers, slashing attractions and budgets does not make guests rush to come back..
streetmagix

6.7 Million guests? That seems wildly optimistic, that's around the same number as HK Disneyland and significantly more than Disneyland Paris, Eteling or Europe Park. 

Still, I wish them luck. From what I've seen there looks to be some awesome rides and experiences there. 
Robert.W

Disneyland Paris had a total of 13.4 million visitors in 2016, which only increased in 2017 with the 25th anniversary celebrations. :)

streetmagix

Sorry, I was referring to the Disneyland Park, not the resort as a whole (TEA report 2016, can't see anything more recent).

But still, aiming to get similar numbers to what is considered the best Magic Kingdom park in the heart of Europe was widely optimistic. Especially in year 1. Sounds like someone fiddled the projected numbers to get extra funding/debt relief.
theparklifekid

Interestingly enough, one of the current Six Flags China parks (Zhejiang)  layout has been revealed, showing a resemblance to that of Six Flags Dubai, with there being a coaster hugging the entrance, a few shot towers, stage, Ferris wheel and a few other planned rides dotted about where Dubai's ones would go. Six Flags Dubai has been altering its plans for the park layout, so could this possibly show what the park will look like?
theparklifekid

DXB Entertainments, the Dubai theme park operator, will review its future expansion plans after narrowing its second-quarter loss on higher visitor numbers and lower costs.

The company's board of directors has mandated management to "evaluate DXB Entertainments’ future development plans and capital deployment," the Dubai-listed firm said in a statement on Thursday. The review will cover expansion zones including Six Flags Dubai, its new theme park expected to open in 2019, to determine scope and timelines.

"All feasible options will be presented to the board later in the year for final discussion on the strategy going forward," it said, without elaborating on the options to be evaluated.
Chris
Admin
Admin

I think that is positive!?

There are rumours on another forum that the project has been cancelled as the contractors have not been paid.

More general information from an article posted a few weeks back here.
theparklifekid

I’ve heard those rumours too, but I’m fairly certain that the park has secured funding, from images I’ve seen construction isn’t really in action currently and has slowed down, I believe this is due to them changing up a few things, it’s still on track for a late 2019 opening, will that happen? I say no, probably mid 2020 or just before the world expo.
theparklifekid

Motiongate have announced that they will be bringing a Halloween event to the park, with the main draw to the event being a live action Saw maze, at an event called 'Fright Nights' (sound familiar?) The event will also have family offerings and is the start of the park bringing in seasonal events!
ThemeCrafter264

Dubai Parks has had a 33% increase in attendance for the 9 months of this year when compared to last year but the figure still isn't over 2 million.
theparklifekid

Future on Six Flags Dubai is now uncertain.

Wednesday was the first time Six Flags officials addressed what that could mean to the project — though they had few details other than saying that an on-time opening in 2019 was unlikely. “We cannot speak for our partner,” said Jim Reid-Anderson, president and CEO of Six Flags Entertainment. “They’re trying to work through what they do next. We don’t have an answer. I wish I could give you an answer to say, ‘This is what will happen.'” Reid-Anderson and Chief Financial Officer Marshall Barber said the Dubai operator is up-to-date on payments to Six Flags.

“The risk, for us, is minimal,” he said. “And I would tell you that this was our smallest park in terms of our expectations with regard to revenue and [earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization], in terms of the outlook. So whilst we would never want the park not to go ahead, if it happens, it’s something we would manage through very successfully.”

So yeah, I have kinda been dreading the news a little, there is a rumor going around that DPR will be making a statement about the project around November. Despite all of this info I have a few contacts who tell me that the park is still going to be happening, but will be delayed.

Source:https://skift.com/2018/10/24/six-flags-future-in-dubai-is-now-uncertain/
Chris
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the update! Fingers crossed.
theparklifekid

So I've known for some time that Motiongate was originally planned to have an area themed to 20th Century Fox, but that was scrapped in favor of Lionsgate and to be used as possible future expansion (unlikely now due to the Disney acquisition), but some early blueprints have been released online showing what could have been. It looks like capitol bullet train would have been mirrored and themed to Planet of the Apes, a family suspended coaster themed to 'Epic', a Titanic Experience and a Alien vs Predator dark ride. Interestingly enough, some of these rides are planned to open at the upcoming Fox park in Malaysia. 

Also it turns out that Dragon Gliders was originally going to be a robot arm ride similar to Forbidden Journey, I love the ride as it currently is, but man do I wish this version came instead, it seems way cooler.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Very interesting! I think they got it right with a varied mix of attractions and themes.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Google Maps have updated their aerial view of DP&R again showing the latest progress. How long it has been in this state I don't know - but the land is starting to look more theme park like.
fdfdsfdf.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theparklifekid

I was back in the UAE recently but was unfortunately unable to visit any parks or get update pics from the site. That being said I've heard conflicting reports from reliable sources regarding the project.

This picture was taken yesterday at the site, confirming reports that very little work is going on at the park.
theparklifekid

Six Flags Dubai has officially been put on hold.

Its not been 100% cancelled though. The park is being financed by the government and is apparently 15% complete. My guess is until the rest of the parks in the resort see better visitor numbers, we won't be seeing anything soon. Apparently some of the ride hardware has already been shipped Dubai Port just waiting and if nothing happens to the park soon, the rides will be distributed around Motiongate, Bollywood and Legoland. Which I find odd as those rides were custom designed to fit in Six Flags.

Or this could just be another F1-X situation.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Such a shame - but inevitable really..
theparklifekid

The Legoland Hotel expansion for Legoland Dubai is now fully under construction, being the 2nd hotel to be offered at the resort.

In other news, Motiongate and Bollywood are set to receive expansions with rides that were originally set for Six Flags Dubai and the Bollywood park I'm being told will be going free to enter and pay per ride soon.