Ride Downtime

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Kraken

Sounds like the lift exit photocell was blocked with something - probably a spiders web (which got wet in the rain) - at one end. As the computer system could not confirm the track was clear, the control system did exactly what it should have done and stopped the train.

The exact same has happened on other rides in parks all over the World. I have seen Nemesis stopped for the same reason too - although on the brake-run. Photocell had a spiders web in it and fine-mist rain clinging to the web made the light beam break.

There is nothing the parks maintenance team can do about spiders or rain. Even if they clean the photocells daily, it does not take long for a spider and a bit of rain to come along. As above, the control system detects something wrong and shuts the ride down.
Sawboss

Today someone at work asked where we were going away too on my week off next week, told them we were going caving and she said 'Glad you didn't say you were off to Alton Towers again, they've had another fiasco!'. She even said about the ride full of people being stuck upside down, I pretty quickly explained it was bad reporting. So yes, it definitely affects peoples opinions.
Burniel

The park dealt with the breakdown very well. If you've ever actually got stuck on Air or Glactica, you'll know that the experience is far from traumatising. I was on the front row of a train early on opening morning 2014 when it stopped at the top of the lift hill for around 10-15 minutes and it didn't affect me at all (in fact, I rode Air five times that day). The restraints are comfortable and you get great views of Nemesis :P. Staff kept the riders up-to-date and reassured those who were scared; there's no way any sensible person would be screaming for help. According to the BBC article, riders were offered free entry tickets, which is more than generous (I was given a free fastrack which wasn't necessary as the queue never went past the merge point, feeling a bit ripped off now :P).

To suggest that any upset felt by any rider on that train was the fault of Alton Towers Resort is ridiculous.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
ChainedOak

I have noticed that friends of mine, all occasional visitors, are getting irritated by all of the bad reporting and scaremongering by the news outlets about Alton Towers recently. I don't know if this is truly indicative of the feeling of the general public but I would hope that people are getting wary of the dodgy reporting and rumour spreading.
In other news, what I really want to know is what happens to the VR when it halts on the lift :)
Guitar

Ryan.B wrote:"The Park should be stuck down"
I would hope it is stuck down, wouldn't want it blowing away. :D
MakoMania

Anyone know what's up with Enterprise? Been closed all day for the past few days I believe.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
JSMarsden

Hopefully its rolled itself away outside the park! :lol

I saw that Th13teen has also been down all day today as well. Hopefully things improve for Sunday/Monday! (Rita down also at the moment)
Coaster123

On park today & The Smiler is closed. Apparently it's an all-dayer.
MakoMania

Coaster123 wrote:On park today & The Smiler is closed. Apparently it's an all-dayer.
Closed today as well.
owenrita121

MakoMania wrote:
Coaster123 wrote:On park today & The Smiler is closed. Apparently it's an all-dayer.
Closed today as well.
Apparently it's a problem with the app and is open.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
MakoMania

owenrita121 wrote:
MakoMania wrote:
Closed today as well.
Apparently it's a problem with the app and is open.
Just look at Alton's twitter. It is definitley NOT open :)
owenrita121

MakoMania wrote:Just look at Alton's twitter. It is definitley NOT open :)
I can assure you it DEFINITELY is open!
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
MakoMania

My bad then!

The Smiler has been removed from ridetimes.co.uk and Alton's twitter team said it's closed.

But the picture shows it open.

Confusing.......
Owen

I can also ensure that it is open and operational :)
Dan

MakoMania wrote:My bad then!

The Smiler has been removed from ridetimes.co.uk and Alton's twitter team said it's closed.

But the picture shows it open.

Confusing.......
It may have been a temporary glitch in the system as RideTimes is currently showing The Smiler as open with a 0 minute queue.
timmy1372

Anybody know why thirteen is closed, it's been closed for days!
MakoMania

Ok, so this is the 4th day in a row that Th13teen has been closed :?
Dan

I have heard from numerous people that the switch-track after the backwards section failed and sent the train forwards into the tunnel.

This may explain the lengthy downtime if they are awaiting a fix on the mechanism.
ROYJESS

Dan wrote:I have heard from numerous people that the switch-track after the backwards section failed and sent the train forwards into the tunnel.

This may explain the lengthy downtime if they are awaiting a fix on the mechanism.
Sounds like fun for those on board :lol
Dan

ROYJESS wrote:Sounds like fun for those on board :lol
I believe it happened during morning testing as I dare say we would have seen something about it in the media had it happened with guests on board.