Alton Towers Opening Day Reviews

Been to an attraction recently? Planning a trip? Tell us about it here or get some hints and tips for your next visit.
jayson2125

So we have been to the towers today and all I can say is ...Very disspointed.

Rides / food outlets closed / Shut

Towers restaurant
Dohnuts merry england
The flume
Sub terra
Air/Galactica
Ripsaw cafe
Charlie
Hex
Driving school
Wobble world
Wobble world cafe
All food outlets in dark forest

13 (broken down)
Smiler music on very very low and no queue by 3pm.....Area still has a funny feel to it and certainly not back as it was before.

Nemesis track is half painted and looks like it was done in a rush....when I say half i mean only half has the rust effect and it looks poor.

Supports have brown paint on the top third...what a mess.

All rides today had at least 4 ops where there would have been 1....Runaway mine train cabin was very crowded.

Enterprise ride op went round and opened all carraige doors and then shut them again just to add to the queue time.....we gave up in the end as my daughter was cold.

We normally blitz the rides but today in 4 hours we did 3......

we went to guest services at the end of the day and put in a complaint and the person dealing with us really didnt care and said we were welcome to leave a complaint.

After much debating we were offered some fast tracks for a future vist and we had to fill in the Ipad complaint form.

Whilst doing this another family next to us were complaining about exactly the same thing and were offered immediately a lot more than us...

Red rag to a bull so I asked to speak to a manager.

I was told that all of the rides are shut due to Towers loving care and some will re open.

Also we shouldnt be upset about the rides being closed because a new ride is being built to replce the Flume....I pointed out we were here today not in the future so it was just another shut ride.....

We were told that due to the resort not closing to the public until January they simply have not had enough time to get the rides open.

I stated that this simply was not true as only cbeebies and merry england had been open for the Christmas break and this was met with a look of, Oh no what do I say next..

Towers loving care is being used as an excuse as to why so many rides are shut, No mention of cost saving or licences not being renewed.

Yes work has been done on resort but this is not something to shout about and say well done us....this should be done every year and then the resort would not look in the state it did at the close of the season.

All in all great to be able to go back but guest services full of unhappy people and I mean full....One family left guest services shouting about poor customer service...

1st day of the season and not a great start...I would have expected Alton to be trying to win back customer not annoy those that have come back....
Last edited by Dom on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to here as it was more a review
MakoMania

I enjoyed yesterday :sus:
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
zakwoolley1

I enjoyed yesterday as well but I have to say the staff were terrible.

First of all, my mate had to collect his merlin so we went to the pre booked ticket collection at the entrance plaza and only one booth was open and it didn't help that the staff member was working ridiculously slow. The family before he went was there for at least half an hour.

Then when we were in the dark forrest we went to the new box office to collect his merlin but the staff member instead gave him an alton towers annual pass. When we told him it was wrong he said the only way to rectify the problem was to go the the box office on towers street.

At this point it was around lunch so we decided to go to the burger kitchen in cloud coo cu land and the service was ridiculous. It was one of the longest queues of the day and most of the staff were just standing there gormed out. When we finally got our meal they forgot to give me my chips and we had to go back up to get them.

After that we headed to the box office on tower street to try and fix the problem with the merlin. Although it took a while my mate managed to get his merlin in the end.

After that, we went over the enterprise. The woman operating the ride was doing such a slow job loading and unloading.

Overall it was a good day but I have to say it seems like the staff have received little to no training.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Burniel

I feel you've been very harsh. I've been at the park all weekend and here's my immediate response response to your post:
jayson2125 wrote:So we have been to the towers today and all I can say is ...Very disspointed.

Rides / food outlets closed / Shut

Towers restaurant
Dohnuts merry england
The flume
Sub terra
Air/Galactica
Ripsaw cafe
Charlie
Hex
Driving school
Wobble world
Wobble world cafe
All food outlets in dark forest
Many of these were already planned to be shut! For an opening day, the reliability of the attractions, shops and restaurants that were meant to be open was very good IMO.

13 (broken down) I'm sorry, what? I went on 13 4 times this weekend! It seemed to be open all the time when I was checking, queues peaked at 20 minutes.

Smiler music on very very low and no queue by 3pm.....Area still has a funny feel to it and certainly not back as it was before.
I only went to X-Sector in the mornings to be honest, but all semed fine. Music was VERY loud on Saturday when it first opened! :P

Nemesis track is half painted and looks like it was done in a rush....when I say half i mean only half has the rust effect and it looks poor. Are you saying you'd rather them not do it? Give them credit, I think it looks great. And what do you mean, half-done? I really liked it.

Supports have brown paint on the top third...what a mess. I didn't notice it.

All rides today had at least 4 ops where there would have been 1....Runaway mine train cabin was very crowded. Never will I complain about plenty of staff being on the ride. It adds to the helpfulness, speed and safety of the experience.

Enterprise ride op went round and opened all carraige doors and then shut them again just to add to the queue time.....we gave up in the end as my daughter was cold. Probably just a hiccup, nothing serious. I'm sure it would have worked if you'd gone back later or stuck it out in the queue.

We normally blitz the rides but today in 4 hours we did 3...... Probably because you abandoned rides! I was only on-park 9-1 today and did 4/5 of the main coasters, Spinball Whizzer, RMT, Rapids and Duel. In 4 hours I did about 10. It was busier yesterday, so that would result in a lower ride count, but there's really no reason to have gone on so few rides if you were doing everything you could to maximise your count.
My trip was fantastic. I got on plenty of good rides instead of moping around near the closed ones (it helped that I planned my trip in advance and hence knew which rides were going to be closed beforehand!). The staff were very friendly and I noticed a lot more phrases like is that restraint tight enough? I'm very sorry you had a bad time, but I honestly feel like you're making a big fuss out of very few legitimate reasons for disliking your visit.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
zakwoolley1

On park today was better than yesterday. Maybe it was just because there was nicer whether but the atmosphere felt much better. In addition, I noticed some improvement since yesterday such as the strobes and mist on the indoor section of the smiler, smiler logos on the trains and audio on the skyride.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
NeoXIII

Spontaneously went yesterday to the park, and it was rather quiet on the Sunday.
Didn't make it to the park until 12:30, but still managed to do all the coasters aside of Air/Galactica (for obvious reasons). The longest we had to wait was probably at The Smiler, and even that was "only" around 20 minutes, so that's a lot better from the 90 minute wait on the Saturday!
I was a bit surprised how many food places were closed, as well as the Oblivion shop, I do hope they'll reopen that one soon!

Speaking of shops, main shop still sells the old mug collection, as well as the new one for 2016. And the 2015 one is more expensive than the new one?! :-k
Smiling bass

I had an incredible day one opening day and sunday.

The atmosphere are the smiler at opening time was nothing short of INTENSE. When the chain moved for the first time, The que went crazy. As the car came up the track, everyone cheered again. We were talking to alot of people in the ques, all very exited and friendly. Getting into the main que, everyone was funny and laughing! And my goodness, the projection room! everyone was cheering at.... nothing! Every now and then people would start clapping at anything and everything.

Getting into the loading bay, Everyone cheered and clapped when the train pulled up and pulled out again. That experience will stay with me forever. One of the best days of my life.

Sorry to hear some had bad staff experiences... because mine were nothing short of lovely! Made some new friends and every single staff member I encountered on both days was lovely.

Of course I have some gripes, a lot of things were closed of course. But numbers aren't exactly up to normal either.

Smiler music could have been louder and I wanted it to be! Especially in the projection room.

The screen for the smiler.... WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? It looks funked!

But honestly, Had the best couple of days. 10 times corrected, and feeling happy!