Warwick Castle

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
jackgcse

Just found out that Merlin court case has just ended from the incident in 2007 involving a death of a person that had fallen from an 'insufficient' barrier that secured the moat. The outcome was Merlin being fined |£350,000 and £150,000 legal fee's!
However I did think, that Merlin had only just taken over the attractions during 2007!
Last edited by jackgcse on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteB

Interesting info you have there jackgcse, but I don't see how it relates to Quick Questions?

Perhaps you could create a new topic and quote your sources for it? Merlin did indeed take over early 2007, might have been late 2006 but I do not recall hearing about this death?
jmgpannal

^ That was at Warwick Castle. But wrong topic I think!
jackgcse

Didn't wan't to cause any grief putting it in a new topic! You know how some can be! :)
However I was wondering whether anyone else had much background info! It came in my fathers environmental health magazine (works for the council, don't question it) Afraid I can't get much more info. Sorry about that! Thus why I didn't make a new topic!

Edit;
The article was in 'Environmental Health News' (You can move my post if you wish) It states in the article that
Warwick Castle firm fined after man died falling into moat

'George Townley died from head injuries following the fall

Appeal after man's castle death
The company that runs Warwick Castle has been fined £350,000 after a man fell from a bridge and died.

George Townley, of Berkswell, Solihull, fell 13ft (4m) from the Bear & Clarence Bridge into a dry moat in 2007.

A post-mortem examination revealed although he suffered a heart attack, he died from head injuries.

Merlin Attractions were unanimously found guilty at Warwick Crown Court of failing to protect the health and safety of visitors.

The company was also ordered to pay costs of £145,000.

Divisional Environmental Health Officer at Warwick District Council Rob Chapleo said: "Mr Townley's fatal accident was foreseeable and would not have occurred if Merlin had undertaken a suitable and sufficient risk assessment."

He said barriers would have prevented Mr Townley falling in.

Warwick Castle said it was disappointed at the outcome of the hearing and that it would review the findings of the case to decide what further action it needed to take.'

Hope that helps, I just copied this from the BBC news!
Last edited by jackgcse on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HFantasma

Yeah I read about this in the Metro on the way to work quite a while back now. At the time it didn't report that he had a heart attack. The bridge in question is this I believe...Image
Very tragic and sad but I do question whether Merlin should have came out so bad, it's a wall that was built many many years ago and is part of the castle heritage. I do know however that RIDDORS (preventable accidents) are a big thing. But would this have occurred if the poor chap in question hadn't have had (what sounds) to be a large heart attack. I dont believe anyone has fallen from it before and health and safety inspectors have surely cleared it previously?
I believe now the bridge has some barriers running down it now.
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!
jackgcse

The world of Health and safety! L.O.L
jmgpannal

The wall doesn't look like that at the moment.  It has a temporary scaffolding style fence on it which is covered with a faux battlements style banner.

Looks awful! 

The accident is bad but that wall must have been there for hundreds of years, hopefully something more aesthetically pleasing will be put in place that looks good and is still safe.
jackgcse

I understand health and safety, but the castle was never thought of with Health and safety in mind, so surly it just takes common sense to know where is safe and what is not, within an old castle grounds!?
Tom G

The verdict was given in April.
Pennywise

Interesting concept launching summer 2013:

I personally wouldn't mind trying this out when it launches - 'tis a rather novel idea - and it's always nice to see Merlin trying something new (even if it is another money making scheme).

More tasteful than Crash Pad, at any rate!
nickhutson

Ha! More tasteful than Crash Pad!

Brilliant!  I love how sleeping on grass surrounded by wind, rain and other such stuff is more tasteful than Thorpe's efforts at a "hotel".  Really says a lot for Crash Pad...

Surprised they don't try this out at Forp Park.  Da Chavz may luv sleeping like travellers, innit.  Literally.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Ladyofthelake

So, I've been thinking with Warwick Castle being my nearest Merlin attraction just how it fits in with Merlin's portfolio.

It seems Merlin don't quite know what to do with it. They've tried imposing their existing brands onto it (dungeons), and introducing outside brands (Merlin dragon tower), which appears to be at the expense of the actual history of the castle.

It seems a shame that with the Castle having such a wide and varied history that they don't use this more. I know they have to please a wide audience, but certainly locally the Castle is starting to get a reputation as being poor value for money, and having its soul destroyed.

Anyone else got a view?
bensaund

For many years I had wanted to go to Warwick Castle, when I got my MAP, I thought it was time to visit. We were up that way so decided to pop in for the afternoon. All I can say is that I will never visit again and Merlin have done everything they can do to make many people not want to visit again.

To start of with, £6 to park the car when you have nowhere else to park, if it wasn't for the person I was with having permium pass I would have turned the car round and gone elsewhere.

We had a wonderful meal at the restaurant outside the castle.

You can't do the dungeons, or the other bolt on attractions with a standard pass, after 45 mins we left and will not be returning. The previous week we had done the London dungeons which were a lot bigger, but we didn't get this thrown in. It doesn't sound right.

My opinion is Merlin should get rid of it and sell it to somebody like The National Trust or English Heritage and focus on what they do best.
If you go down to the woods today
dmmosh1

Its a good question because its so different from merlins usual line up

i went in 2011 during halloween, it was quite good but then im very generious  with review things
but i cant imagine that a lot of people would be satisfied with it, i had my MAP so it was a no brainer to go when i was close by  but for people who have to pay to get im i imagine they would feel lile they have been ripped off that the entrance fee is not inclusive of all the activities

as stated if they cant figure out how to run it with greater appeal they should sell it on
If they want to keep it they realy do need to give better value for money

it does have lots of good qualitys though and has great potential
lucy2244

I think Merlin have done well with Warwick castle,
They have maintained the grounds and allowed it so you can look up and down the towers and in the main castle. I think it's nice how Merlin doesn't have there usual posters advertising other attractions or there MAPS. I only saw one of there signs on the ah and that was before you entered castle grounds.

They have also made the castle experience very interactive with the Merlin dragon tower, princess tower nod the many falconry and trebuchet shows they put on there. The shows embrace the castles heritage as well as educating people on the ways of castles and seige weapons.

The Merlin dragon tower and princess tower however, I do think they're big money makers for Merlin and are more about the money, but saying that they do attract families from cross the country.

I have been in the dungeons at Warwick castle and I did find them very good, the actors were good and it was actually quite educational. It fit in well with the castle and doesn't appear too tacky. I do think though these dungeons shouldn't cost extra or as much as they do- especially for MAP holders as without these for people without kids there is not much to do throught the day.

Yes some may argue it would be in better hands with the natural trust but the castle is entertaining unlike other castles, and that fact makes children more interested in castles and english heritage. It is not just a boring castle thanks to Merlin, it is a well loved day out.
jon18uk

bensaund wrote: To start of with, £6 to park the car when you have nowhere else to park, if it wasn't for the person I was with having permium pass I would have turned the car round and gone elsewhere.

We had a wonderful meal at the restaurant outside the castle.

You can't do the dungeons, or the other bolt on attractions with a standard pass, after 45 mins we left and will not be returning.
There are loads of other car parks around Warwick town centre which are council pay and display with a maximum charge of £4-£6, this is why Warwick Castle has always charged for parking, if the castle parking was free then no-one would use the council car parks!

I do agree that the Dungeon should be included on standard passes, or as it is timed tickets at least allow passholders if there is space (so no passes if the dungeon sells out). But if you have done London Dungeon it is pointless doing the one at the castle as it is basically the same!

I don't understand how you only filled 45 minutes, there is loads of normal castly stuff to do, walk the ramparts, see the electricity generators, look at the rose garden, see the Victorian party waxworks, kingmaker waxworks, see the great hall, watch the trebuchet. Also seasonally there is always something different like sword fighting, jousting, archery etc.

I loved the castle under Tussaud's and they introduced loads of waxworks and stuff, but Merlin seem a bit more commercial adding the dungeon and pushing a lot more food stalls. But last Halloween was very good with plenty of nice stuff going on included in the standard pass, the scare walk-through was very very well done.
Vladimir Bobinski

bensaund wrote:o start of with, £6 to park the car when you have nowhere else to park, if it wasn't for the person I was with having permium pass I would have turned the car round and gone elsewhere.
There's a council car park the other side of the road that is far cheaper, you are in Warwick town centre, they don't want day to day traffic parking there.
bensaund

If they don't want day to day traffic parking there then it should be free parking for people who buy a ticket to get in, and £10 a day for people who don't buy a ticket.

Or the M£lin way, charge the customers to park, charge them to get in and charge them extra for additional attractions and hope they buy food and drink while they are there...
If you go down to the woods today
Ripsaw Raver

My partner has been in the Warwick Castle Dungeons and he really enjoyed it, I have been WC many times and always loved the Kingmaker Exhibition and i am now rather down that i shall never be able to experience The Ghost Tower now Merlins Dragon Tower. I remember being stood in the gift shop very young and all of a sudden hearing a loud breath noise followed by a crowed a screaming people leaving the tower.
All i await now is how long will it be until Merlin and ABC attractions make there mark with another Extremis Tower
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Themeparksandy1981

Warwick castle use to be free parking but locals used it and instead of going the castle they would go into the town centre. Even when I had a annual pass we would go the castle in the morning then at lunch time instead of eating over priced food at the castle we would walk into the town centre to have a drink and a sunday dinner deal at the wetherspoons then go back to the castle to see the things we missed out.