Drayton Manor

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Squiggles

As far as I'm aware Project X was never supposed to be the next big thing at the park. From what has come out of the park over the past couple fo years the replacement for Klondike was always supposed to be something minor compared to what they have planned. (possible this "big plan" is the water park, but i got the impression something big and coaster like was on its way after Project X)
I hope a current ride dosent have to be removed though to make room for it.
That is just a myth, based on the fact that DMP have spent the last 5 years redevlopping the park. If you want an example to prove this look at Maelstrom, not major rides were removed to make way for this.

From what I can see DMP is in a much better position to become a resort then AT is. Not only do DMP have the park, parkland, zoo and golf (with water park to come apprently), they are also in easy reach of Tamworth (with its castle and snowdome), so can go for a "one day in park, one day out" approach, whereas AT can't do this (unless they zoom in on the "thrill seeking hill walker market") As it is Alton have the park and water park and the massively underutilsed gardens and towers, which really need big investment before they will return to being attractions in their own right.
Edwardo..... move me!
ASR

What I am saying is that DMP have not invested in the right places to be able to compete in the market it assumes it is already established
I think it is quite obvious that the park has invested in the right areas, its still open - proof enough, people will only go to parks if they think it has enough for them, so obviously it does - coaster wise, no, it cannot compete with the towers, and I thank Jebus that Project X is coming our way.

DMP has seen heavier investment in flat rides than the towers though, they have more modern water rides too, the latter are always a big pull factor for families, as everyone enjoys a good old water flume, and SF10 beats "The flume unplugged, or whatever the hell its called, sponsored names are the devil), with a giant assed stick - but both parks have lame rapids, which DMP built first I might add.

But there has been very little arriving in DMP for the past 10 years that stands out, with the exception of SF 10
What aboput Maelstrom, Europes first gyro swing, and dotn forget Apocalypse, the UK's tallest tower ride, the UK's only standing drop tower and the UK's only standing floorless tower - it opened nearly five years ago, and the only this year has a ride in Europe like it opened (Hurakan Condor). Unique rides stand out, and it certainly was unique,

BPB is not considered a theme park, but an amusement park
Maybe so, but if you ask Joe Blog of the street about it, he isnt going to know. I actually asked 10 people ato work today about this to see random folks responses "which is you're fave theme park", several said BPB - and not one of them even hinted at the idea of it being an amusment park.

m talking about their future plans which are repeating what At did 10 years previously
Plenty of parks worldwide are opening hotels, even Camelot has a bloody hotel, and look at that place, its close to BPB aswell, so are you saying that the Plesh copied them when they opened Big Blue Hotel, obviously .... because there close, whoosh!
Maelstrom

drayton manor have invested very wisley over the last 13 years (well there are a few execptions. The park has gone from strength to strength and become a true player in the uk theme park business (pre 1994 the park was relitivly unkown outside the midlands) plus attendance has gone up loads, the last 13 years has been a success story.

Unique rides to DMP when installed (ie alton didn't/doesnt have)

-Maelstrom
-Apocalypse (orginal planned to open in 98 (park wouldn't have known about oblivion (they would have known world first ride was comming to alton but wouldn't hav e known what type, likly would have just been a sitdown tower ride if had opened in 1998 and maybe a different theme)
-The Haunting (installed 4 years before hex)
-Stormforce 10 (backwards drop log flume)
-Shockwave (Stand up roller coaster)
-Golden Nuggets (installed 3 years before duel)
-Project X (Unlike anything at Alton)

etc etc

the water park will be great for the park as duw to the parks location would work as a stand alone attraction as being so close to the city centre nd not far from birmingham (the uks second largest city), Plus would allow park to earn income through out the winter months especially during school hols. As said before alot of the hotel will be boopked up for functions at the very sucessful conference facilities and weddings and parties that constantly take place at the park.

Before anyone says i Alton towers is my fav UK park, but looking at DMP from by business/marketing background they ahve and will continue to do very well.
Anonymous

:-? We all know that when Drayton Manor have new rides they "always" take out an old one. :roll: What do you think Drayton Manor should take out in 2006 to make way for there new ride?

What do you think Drayton Manor should "not" of took out for a new ride...
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Sorry to disappoint you, (and this is not made up) so far Drayton have not planned anything for next year because of financial problems.

:firebounce:
G-Force

Next year they are starting to build the hotel and possibly the waterpark,also i heard from 1 of the staff they were thinking of removing sombreros because of the amount of downtime , but i cant see that happening as that is a popular family ride.
R U Ready TO Experiance The Force Of The G
Doopy Dan

Even though they are in financial problems, we still might see something where the crypt was, or they might just extend food court
Anonymous

Yep that's what my contact said, an extension of the food court. Yay :|

But no he said no new rides, and is the most reliable source we/I have.

G-Force, the waterpark is actually still going through planning, and weither they have been submitted and got turned down or haven't yet been submitted is unknown to me. So we won't be seeing that any time soon (plus they can't afford it!). But yes you're right construction will start mid season next year. Alton build Air and a new hotel :P

I think they are running before they can walk here. They don't realise how small and insignificant they're park is compared to biggies like Alton, Thorpe and (dare I say) Chessington. I certainly don't have the disiring urge to sleep over... on a really busy day you can get through all the rides by 2:00. They need to stop copying Alton Towers before they crash and burn.

Edit, Sarah-TTF
Just removed the name of your contact from the post. We have management reading the boards, and as such, any information passed to you about future plans is still industry confidential. Although it doesn't seem like much, you may lose your contact if the park decided he/she is not trust worthy, and in turn you may lose your information.

Sarah x
Anonymous

Yeah thats true i think they need the space to extend the theme park because they dont have much space left all thought the camping site at drayton manor is allways full it just depends they might only have the hotel as a travel lodge so more money comes in so its a good invesment...but yes they do need the space
dave1de

I think they should of kept the crypt, it was a bit taky but still fun.
Anonymous

lol i never got to ride that what was it like i cant even remember it
dave1de

Theres alot of info and photos on http://www.darkrides.co.uk click dark rides by name then the crypt.

It was just you average, tacky ghost train, a bit longer than normal ones, it was fun though, you coudl go on it several times in one day as a short filler ride.
Alex.

Actual quote from issuse 70 if first drop magazine.

Drayton Manor has substantialy increased there hotel plans.The origanal plans for a 86-bedroom hotel has been expanded on with the addition of a water park and log cabins.
Thirty to forty log cabins, sleeping for to ten people are planned, along with Stormalong Bay, the working name of the water park. It will have up to 20 slides and attractions, including a wave pool and a lazy river.

Hmmm Log cabins. I dont see Alton towers having any log cabins do you Burn.e. So its impossible for you to say Drayton is copying.
Anonymous

OK Alex :roll:. You really need to look into things a bit further. What one UK Theme Park has one normal hotel accomodation, and accomodation for a water park also. I'm sure if they had the money they'd do the whole hotel thing for StormAlong bay also. But the log cabins and waterpark are, as far as I know, not by any means being built for next year/2007.

They really need to spend the huge sum of money they're investing in these unnessacy things into they're theme park. The only thing I can't relate to this if my local park (like plane of grass sort of thing), were to host a camp site :roll:

I mean, what would you prefer, a hotel or a couple rides as decent/better than G-Force.

Alex.

Please tell me why they are unnessicary Burn.e i dont have a clue what you mean. They way DM has expanded over the past few years i think the addition of a hotel is more than nessicary. Not only are they providing people with a place to stay for a weekend they also providing us with a set of affordable cabins for those who dont want to pay for a full hotel room or want to make a short week break away from home. I think with these new additions DM will quickly move up into the top 3 theme parks in the UK. And the money the park makes will vastly increase.
Williscroft

I think the hotel, log cabins and water park are a great idea. It shows the way the park are heading. i think the Hotel and log cabins will come first though. And who ever said you can do all the rides by 2:00 on a very busy day think again. I went the other week and got on 4 rides and that was with running around all day tring to get in the shortest Qs. Stormfoce 10 was 2 hours long and shockwave was nearly 3 :shock: but then when i went on tuesday i got on 17 rides. I dont think you just need a hotel if your parks that busy you need 2 days to do every thing. Some familes leve early so they can get back home and some have to rush around trying to get on what they want were as if you had acomadation there you could carm down, take you time and make a weekend of it. :D as for 2006 things could change by then if G-force is extremely popular :D
Alex.

Agreed 100% with the above post :D
a new water park and hotel/cabins would probably double DM popularity and would give the park the reputation it deserves.There also very usefull for people who live far away and haveto travel a long way to experiance rides like Apocalypse and Shockwave. Now they can stay there over night instead of having to leave home early or only get on a few rides.
Anonymous

Simply put... The Theme Park is too small for all this accomadation and resort tendancies.

And I must add I'd be extremely appreciative of you being appreciative of my opinion. However hypocritic I admit that may be, I am taking an attempt to change that and it couldn't hurt if some of the people above could also.

Maelstrom

firstly i wouldn't expecy anything for 2006 with G-Force only just opening (with only 6 weeks left of summer season) it will stll be highly marketable as still being a new addition to the park all of next season. Plus the finacial situation isn't bad, theyhave juts used up all of there ride investment budget. The hotel etc has been budegted serperatly. Plus the log cabins and water park are not even though primalary planning so don't expect until around 2009/10.

comming from a marketing background the hotel, log vabins and water park are perfect for the park. The reasons are as follows

Hotel-Drayton have a very sucessful and profitable Conferance and event Business (even more sucessfully than altons) which includes business conferences, weddings, award ceramonies etc etc due to its location and facilitie the addition of a hotel is perfect as there are a large amount of people wanting overnight accomadation which drayton will now be able to provide generating lots of extra revenue. A Large amount of the hotels capacity will be used for this part of the business. Second people don't need to spend 2 days in the park, short breaks are very popular at the min and perfect for theme parks to enter this market people can use the hotel as base and visit other local attractions such as the Tamworth snow dome, or Go into birmingham city centre.

Water Park-A water park is even more perfect from drayton than it is for alton towers. The Biggest veing the parks location, which means it is easily accessable resulting in it easier to get to for families, groups of young people to visit just to go to the water park, a large amount of local kids and teans go to the park many times over the school hols, the addition of a water park will give these people an extra place to visit again generating extra income, plus again will continue to attract people during the times when the parks closed especially weekends and school hols. Plus there is no fullsize indoor water park close to drayton, so very little competition.

the addition of the above is a very sensible move and makes very good business and financial sense.

Just because Alton have a hotel and water park certainly does not mean drayton cannot and you can't just say they are copying. They are just behind and are trying to grow there business and ultimatly the bottom line profit. Its like saying seaworld in Orlando are just copying Disney because they have water parks and seaworld should spend the money in their park first. Or pakrs copy each other with similar rides

Its all about remaining competitive and without a hotel and water park drayton manor cannot compete with alton towers short stay market. (Where as alton have been staying ahead of the competition,which is where in business you want to be, but you have to very careful you don't get complacent and the competition over takes you!) Drayton have done very well being in competition with alton as Draytons attendace figs are considerably higher then there were in the mid 90's, where as altons are currently lower!
themadman26

When I went the ride operator who was rather bored at the time kept having hoards of chavs asking him if they could go round again. Rightfully he said no as there were other peope in the queueline but then he said
It could seriously Damage your mind and make you sick and puke

Of course I thought that he said this as a joke to the chavs. |But now when I got back on with no more people in the Queue line he ordered us off and said
It could seriously Damage your mind and make you sick and puke

Weird has anyone else had this experience?
Good Bye I\'m off elsewhere