Drayton Manor

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
monkeynips

Any reviews on the refurb, now Sheriffs showdown?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DW_0505

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody here had any precise knowledge as to why Pirates Adventure @ Drayton Manor closed, so far I have heard rumours of money thefts, H&S, amongst others.

I am really curious about this attraction as I believe the move they take with this site could pave the way in which Drayton Manor will operate in the future, given the footprint it occupies on park. Personally, I don't see them removing this given the throughput the ride system provides, I think the ride system itself is a draw as there isn't really anything of this scale at Towers, Thorpe, etc. and DMP certainly wouldn't purchase a system like this again. Also, the reliability of Pirates Adventure is surely a draw to keep the ride at the park. Given the recent renovations of both The Haunting and Wild West Shootout (now Sheriff's Showdown), I feel that Pirate Adventure could be next for a revamp - considering that the ride already fits in with the surrounding theme. I also feel that the ride fits in with the Family direction DMP appear to be taking nowadays so it seems to be an asset to them.

I'd like to know your thoughts on the future of this ride, and also anything you may know about why this ride is currently SBNO (I got confirmation of this from Steve Lomas, Head of Park Operations).
streetmagix

Officially the reason was that the manufacturer either couldn't or wouldn't supply the spare parts for the transit system. I can't find who the manufacturer was but DMP have a history of using non-mainstream manufacturers so they could have gone bust. 

Also, as the ride was older it's possible that it failed H&S due to changing regulations, look at Tiger Rock and the amount of work Mack had to do to bring it up to standard. 

I would love to know the real reasons which I'm sure someone out there knows.
Wagstaff04

Went to Drayton yesterday for the first time in 4 years, and it’s safe to say a lot has changed. 

First, I reluctantly rode Apocalypse – due to my fear of drop towers – and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed it. It was fast and very forceful. 
Next up was Accelarator, for the first time since the retheme, and I think it is the best rollercoaster in the park. It isn’t that forceful, but it’s twisty enough to get my seal of approval. 
After that I took a ride on Shockwave, which was OK. The inversions were nice, and it was pretty smooth, but my legs ached for the rest of the day, and the queue didn’t move too quickly as they were only running one train.  
G-Force was closed all day, and I won’t talk about the Buffalo coaster, but my final ride was Maelstrom, and for me, this is the best ride in the park. It is so forceful, and I love the sweeping feeling!

1. Maelstrom
2. Apocalypse
3. Accelarator
4. Shockwave
5. Buffalo
Aidan Lowe

Your missing Pandemonium from your list :D Mine would have to be:

1. Maelstrom
2. Pandemonium
3. Apocalypse Stand Up
4. G-Force (simply because the lift hill is unique to the country)
5. Stormforce 10
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Liam.W

I’ve heard that G-Force hasn’t been running yet this year?

Anyone know if it’s open again yet?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

streetmagix

As far as I can tell, yes, it's been closed all season. Apart from a vague 'Ride is currently closed for maintenance' message on their website I don't think there's any more information. It's different from Storm Force 10 last year as I understand the plan from the start was to have it down for most/all of the season. This seems to be an issue they maybe found during preseason testing.
Tom

G-Force is going to be removed this season apparently. I wonder if we will see a replacement any time soon? It leaves the park with only one decent coaster.
PhNx Survivor

Is it?? It’s one of the best attractions there.. if it is being replaced, then a major coaster is needed to replace it
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Tom

PhNx Survivor wrote:Is it?? It’s one of the best attractions there.. if it is being replaced, then a major coaster is needed to replace it
Supposedly it's due to the terrible reliability it has been having over the last couple of years.
The trains chassis needs to replaced, quoted at over £200,000.00 and apparently the park cannot afford to do that.

I cannot see that this will be replaced by a major attraction anytime soon. Unfortunately, Drayton Manor just don't have the resources to do that these days.
PhNx Survivor

Jesus.. yeah I can see why they need to remove it then.. whenever I’ve been the rides only run on 1 train, for the past few months I believe.. is such a shame.

Hopefully whatever problems DM are having can be resolved in the future, would hate to see this park lose it’s way
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
theparklifekid

Its gonna be taken down at the end of this season according to the park manager. Which is a shame because I haven't got the cred. But apparently it rides awful. As Lady said its incredibly unreliable and hasn't been running for most of the year, I doubt it will be replaced with anything major. If they really wanted a new coaster in its place then an SBF Spinner will be made. My hopes (which won't happen) is a Gravity group family woodie, rmc raptor or a Iron Shark eurofighter clone.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
streetmagix

It only ever had 1 train, it just had space/blocking for 2. It's a real shame assuming it's true, not the best coaster in the world but pretty fun and unique. Drayton are plainly struggling despite Thomas Land. Hopefully the rapids can be reopened next year although I'm not holding my breath.
Ryan.B

It's restraints look a bit like Macks, but in reality the act like a boa constrictor as soon as you hit the lift.
Stevieg1993

I'd like to see one of them new Vekomas built
Maybe a Vekoma Launch like the one in Energylandia. Small print, looks quite reliable, pretty cheap. Probably about 4 million. Probably have a 1.2m height limit which means it'll be more suitable for families.
CoasterWorld

I have a question about the “Pirate Adventure” ride. Were is it in the park? I is it open?
Tom

CoasterWorld wrote:I have a question about the “Pirate Adventure” ride. Were is it in the park? I is it open?
It's the warehouse looking building here: https://goo.gl/maps/45kXHyKsHjM2
Regarding whether it's open, it is still close unfortunately. I believe what I posted last year is still accurate.
Tom wrote:
DW_0505 wrote:Anybody got any idea what exactly the problem is with Pirates Adventure and the likelihood of it ever reopening again?

Is there any evidence to say that they actually repairing it as they say on the website? I really did love that ride.
The last I had heard was that it was in need of some major parts replacements, and the original manufacturer wouldn't supply them. I'm not sure if they are looking into procuring these from an alternative supplier, but that seems like the only viable option.

I've always thought it may be possible that there was some form of IP/rights issue given the rides theme...

It was a good ride and Drayton is in dire need of another indoor attraction, so it would be good if this was reopened,  I think it's unlikely though.
CoasterWorld

Tom wrote:
CoasterWorld wrote:I have a question about the “Pirate Adventure” ride. Were is it in the park? I is it open?
It's the warehouse looking building here: https://goo.gl/maps/45kXHyKsHjM2
Regarding whether it's open, it is still close unfortunately. I believe what I posted last year is still accurate.
Tom wrote:
DW_0505 wrote:Anybody got any idea what exactly the problem is with Pirates Adventure and the likelihood of it ever reopening again?

Is there any evidence to say that they actually repairing it as they say on the website? I really did love that ride.
The last I had heard was that it was in need of some major parts replacements, and the original manufacturer wouldn't supply them. I'm not sure if they are looking into procuring these from an alternative supplier, but that seems like the only viable option.

I've always thought it may be possible that there was some form of IP/rights issue given the rides theme...

It was a good ride and Drayton is in dire need of another indoor attraction, so it would be good if this was reopened,  I think it's unlikely though.
Thank you, I have not been to a UK or any non-US park yet, Drayton will hopefully stick around for me to visit it.
Cobby

I didn't even realise that Drayton had a Pirates ride as I went this year for the first time in nearly 10 years, so I've just had a quick look at the POV and damn that is definitely a Pirates of the Caribbean knock off  :lol
monkeynips

G Force has now been removed from Drayton manor website