Drayton Manor

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Themeparksandy1981

This is a Park update from the 2nd April

I start off with a Zoo update and there's lots of work going on. The monkeys have a new improved home.

The Ducks have now gone so work on the penguins new home should start very soon

Not sure what animal gonna be going in here

The old Dinosaur area entrance has been fenced off

Now onto the theme park

If u remember in my last update the Flying Dutchman was in pieces well it's been all repainted
[URL=http://s146.photobucket.com/user/djsavo ... 4D63-94A4-
4EA654EA01EC_zpsezhwbcyk.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Pandemonium is getting repainted and new theming added

There's a new stage area by the food court

StormForce 10 is having major work doing to it

Apocalypse Was closed when I went they were testing it all day. I think they were working on the 5th side

The arcades from outside that been painted and new theming added.

There was also a new arcades build by storm force and other games added around the park in booths

Also new lockers

The dodgems have had major work doing to them this year.

And I finish off with a picture of the rethemed coaster with the new gift shop in the back ground

The parks raised the minimum height of the buffalo coaster to 1.05m and the drunken barrels 1.1m tall. My little girl was so upset as them to rides were her favourite. I asked about the buffalo coaster reason and they said it was to keep the queues down as it's still missing the front end of the train.

I got a season pass this year so there will be lots of picture updates up to the 27th Oct.
Liam.W

There has been a serious incident at Drayton Manor today on their Splash Canyon Rapids ride. The park has been shut and security is turning cars away from the park. An air ambulance was seen landing at the park.

Read the full news story here

UPDATE: This article gives a better timeline of events. There is also unconfirmed reports that an eight year old child has fallen into the water.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

OhShambhala

Some comments on facebook from people on the scene are saying an eight year old boy has either fallen or jumped in. Of course this isn't 100% reliable as people love to exagerate!
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
MakoMania

Oh dear
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
OhShambhala

East midlands ambulance service now confirming 'a patient in the water'.
addy2503

Statement from the West Midlands Ambulance Service:

"West Midlands Ambulance Service can confirm it was called to reports of a patient in the water at Drayton Manor Park, Tamworth, at 2.18pm this afternoon.

An ambulance, a senior paramedic officer, a paramedic area support officer, a rapid response paramedic, a community first responder and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Staffordshire were sent to the scene. The first resource was on scene within seven minutes.

More details will follow when available."

https://officialwmas.wordpress.com/2017 ... ton-manor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whataday

While it would be wrong to blindly speculate at this stage, the fact that the ride was initially closed in isolation, followed by the decision to close the entire park, doesn't sound good.
addy2503

Statement from Staffordshire Police:

"Superintendent Carl Ratcliffe, of Staffordshire Police, said:

We were called at 2.25pm this afternoon (9 May) to reports that a child had fallen from a water ride at Drayton Manor Park.

The girl, believed to be 11-years-old from the Leicester area, has been airlifted to Birmingham Children's Hospital.

Her parents have been informed and are being supported by officers.

The HSE have been informed of the incident."

https://www.staffordshire.police.uk/art ... ce=Twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OhShambhala

Is it possible she was messing about and standing up? The amount of times I have seen people standing up on rapids to avoid the waves (including my own friends) is ridiculous. I don't want to speculate but I'm sure considering the age of the ride that if someone was to be thrown out due to the force of the waves, it would've happened by now.

Thoughts go to the girl and her family.
Liam.W

The park is still open, but only to people who were already in the park. No new guests are allowed in

Adz
Admin
Admin

There is due to be a statement from the park within the hour.
ThemeCrafter264

I'm not placing the blame on anyone but it shouldn't be so easy to stand up during the rapids - https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=n0A3X ... urn false;
Adz
Admin
Admin

ThemeParkCrafter wrote:I'm not placing the blame on anyone but it shouldn't be so easy to stand up during the rapids - https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=n0A3X ... urn false;
Nobody has said anything about anyone standing up...
We simply don't know yet and speculation like that could be hugely damaging.

I believe the parks statement has been delayed but should be forthcoming shortly.
Nickolai

That is what I personally think happened. I was once nearly thrown seated from the same point! However I hope a full investigation will be carried out.
Formally Smiler313
Liam.W

I have also been thrown around at that spot too. But this is a rapids ride, and you have to rememeber that. It is designed to be rocky and wavy, so to be thrown a little is to be expected. If these rapids were so dangerous then this would have happened long ago.

MakoMania

The guest has died :(
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
addy2503

From the West Midlands Ambulance Service:

"An 11-year-old girl has died following an incident at Drayton Manor Theme Park this afternoon.

West Midlands Ambulance Service was called to reports of a patient who had fallen into water at 2.18pm.

An ambulance, a senior paramedic officer, a paramedic area support officer, a rapid response paramedic, a community first responder and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Staffordshire, with a MERIT trauma doctor on board, were sent to the scene. The first resource was on scene within seven minutes.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “On arrival, crews discovered a girl with serious injuries who had been rescued from the water by park staff.

“Ambulance staff administered advanced life support before the girl was flown to Birmingham Children’s Hospital with the doctor continuing treatment en-route.

“Unfortunately, shortly after arrival at hospital it became apparent nothing could be done to save her and she was confirmed deceased."

https://officialwmas.wordpress.com/...- ... ton-manor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OhShambhala

Absoloutely awful news. My heart goes out to her family... :(
Adz
Admin
Admin

http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/ ... evastated/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Statement from Drayton Manor.
Dom

This is such heartbreaking news. My thoughts are with the family. :(