Alton Towers Stargazing Pods

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Owen

*couldnt see an existing topic*

The enchanted village is planned to be expanded with 35 new lodges (squalling 70 new rooms) a new check in area and restaurants (assumed) in 3 phases between 2018 and 2021.

Phase 2.1

26 lodges additional installed presumably for 2019. (As seen in the below post).

Phase 2.2

A large open sided Tipi entertainment area is to be added along with a "services" building which I assume will feature a second restaurant. Construction starting in 2020 (as seen in the below post).

Phase 2.3

Last 9 lodges added and a new reception. Planned to begin construction for 2021 (as seen in the below post).

Here are the plans both with and without the phases outlined.

The expansion appears to be on the field opposite the existing site. Thanks to Lewis for accurate time scaling.

Is this a good idea?

Discuss!
Last edited by Owen on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Phase 2.1 opens in March 2019, with Phase 2.2 construction starting in 2020 and construction on Phase 2.3 in 2021.

TowersTimes News will have a full round-up of details and plans later today :)
Liam.W

I really liked the enchanted village so I am glad to see it expanding. Good job they are putting in another restaurant too because the crooked spoon can get rather busy in the evening.

Is it weird that I was more excited at the fact I could see the lodge that I stayed in on the plans? :lol
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

MakoMania

I think the expansion can only be a positive at this time, it shows Merlin have confidence that the Resort will recover and expand.

Does this replace the hotel plans submitted in the summer, or is it in addition?
Last edited by MakoMania on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Liam.W wrote:I really liked the enchanted village so I am glad to see it expanding. Good job they are putting in another restaurant too because the crooked spoon can get rather busy in the evening.
There isn't another restaurant, it just appears to be a bar facing a new courtyard area which will likely serve drinks and snacks. However, the Crooked Spoon is due to receive an extension, and expand into the current reception area once the new reception building is constructed as part of Phase 2.3.
MakoMania wrote:Does this replace the hotel plans submitted in the summer, or is it in addittion?
This is in addition. Construction on the ATH Extension is due to start this May. Construction of Phase 2.1 of this expansion won't get underway until June 2018.
Liam.W

lewis97 wrote:
Liam.W wrote:I really liked the enchanted village so I am glad to see it expanding. Good job they are putting in another restaurant too because the crooked spoon can get rather busy in the evening.
There isn't another restaurant, it just appears to be a bar facing a new courtyard area which will likely serve drinks and snacks. However, the Crooked Spoon is due to receive an extension, and expand into the current reception area once the new reception building is constructed as part of Phase 2.3.
Oh right thanks for clearing that up. I thought there was going to be another restaurant!

Dom

Here is the article Lewis was referring to earlier. :)
Zach

I think this is a great idea and really shows a growing future for the resort and over night stays. The demand must be there which is positive and can only mean more brightness. \:D/

My only concern is with this expansion of accomadation the resort really are going to have to expand/improve on the current offerings of the evening entertainments and activities, as for adults post 8pm the amount of entertianment is largely lacking at the current moment. Whilst I know the resort is family based we all know adult groups do go for weekends. So perhaps something like an adults entertainment bar would be a good idea, with comedy acts, karaoke, pool tables and a bar with a relaxed chilled vibe to it. What do people think ? :drunk: :-k
MakoMania

TheSmilerMan wrote:I think this is a great idea and really shows a growing future for the resort and over night stays. The demand must be there which is positive and can only mean more brightness. \:D/

My only concern is with this expansion of accomadation the resort really are going to have to expand/improve on the current offerings of the evening entertainments and activities, as for adults post 8pm the amount of entertianment is largely lacking at the current moment. Whilst I know the resort is family based we all know adult groups do go for weekends. So perhaps something like an adults entertainment bar would be a good idea, with comedy acts, karaoke, pool tables and a bar with a relaxed chilled vibe to it. What do people think ? :drunk: :-k
Whilst I see the appeal, I fail to see the point. The resort is supposed to be a special escape, you can have a go on pool tables etc anywhere really. I don't think that the number of adults visiting without younger individuals in the party warrants something like this. It is clear from watching Merlin's investor calls that they want to position and develop their theme park resorts in this way:

Day activity: theme park/waterpark

Evening activity: second gate attractions e.g-Tree Top Quest, Extraordinary Golf as well as a restaurant meal.

Heading in Merlin's strategic direction, I can't see a huge increase in "on stage" entertainment at the hotels. Having said that, the Enchanted Village is getting a new ents area so who knows :)
Liam.W

The plans for the Enchanted Village expansion has been approved, with phase 1 construction starting June 2018!

Article over on TowersStreet can be found here

Dan

Liam.W wrote:The plans for the Enchanted Village expansion has been approved, with phase 1 construction starting June 2018!

Article over on TowersStreet can be found here
TTSP are also covering this, here is a Facebook post that links to their article which was posted earlier today.
Justin

A welcomed expansion to the park!
The Enchanted Village is my favourite place to stay within the resort and would recommend anyone giving it a go on their next visit!
MakoMania

Never stayed in Enchanted Village. Are the lodges warm enough Scarefest time of year?
Justin

The lodges are warm enough over Scarefest. I've stayed with 4 other adults in one and they have been warm, however I have also stayed on my own for an extra night and it was still warm enough!

We stayed in one last weekend and it was fine. Give them a go!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The presentation from Merlin's Trading & Strategy Update held earlier today makes reference to "Alton Towers Barrels", so this could suggest some changes to the approved Enchanted Village expansion plans as they only detailed additional lodges.
Robert.W

I wonder if this indicates that some of the new lodges in the expansion might follow the designs of some of the original concept art? The lodges in these styles could be referred to as "Barrels" rather than "Lodges" perhaps?
ImageImage

lewis97
Admin
Admin

The Resort have submitted an application for "the installation of lighting at the perimeters of the Car Park J" (the car park directly north of the Enchanted Village). The documents do refer to the Enchanted Village phase 2 expansion as one of the reasons for the lighting's installation, which again suggests that the Resort still intend to pursue that development. There is no indication of whether this will follow the original schedule though, which had construction starting this June.

Additionally, the ecology letter refers to a 2017 ecological appraisal carried out for "Alton Towers Barrels: Development Phase 2", suggesting that (in line with what was on the Merlin presentation referred to in an above post) there may be some material changes to what the expansion will consist of.
MakoMania

Is this a new application?

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... KID=121348
102 accommodation pods, shower and toilet facility buildings, reception building, tipis and associated support buildings, hard and soft landscaping and parking and drainage works
Looks to me as if it is related to the "Alton Towers Barrels" that Merlin have been talking about on their shareholder presentations.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Yes, it appeared in the week, although documents are yet to be uploaded. The summary does however suggest that is a revised application for the previously approved Enchanted Village expansion.
Dan

As reported by TowersTimes News; Plans have been submitted for an extension of the Enchanted Village at Alton Towers, featuring 102 ‘accommodation pods’, entertainment tipis, shower and changing rooms, and reception building.

Proposed to be located to the north west of the current lodge accommodation, on an area of land currently used as a village green and overflow parking, the proposed new accommodation will form the second phase of the Resort’s Enchanted Village which opened in 2015.