Alton Towers Stargazing Pods

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Dom

As much as I'd love to be excited about this, I just can't get there, but great update as always. 
vikkimoo

They are cute, but for us lanky folks there's not a lot of space!
Dan

As reported by TowersTimes Facebook; Alton Towers Stargazing Pods, the Resort’s newest accommodation offering, are now available to book for stays from 12th April 2019. The Pods are available for weekend stays, as well as for midweek stays during school holidays.

The camping-style Pods are marketed as providing a more affordable short-break, however prices start at £123 per-night peak season and from £88 off-peak. The price includes bed linen, a takeaway breakfast and a round of Extraordinary Golf, whilst towels can be rented for an additional cost.
Swarm Chris

Meanwhile Splash Landings is closed and the ATH is pushing mid to-high £200's.

Competition is the only way prices will become more affordable and there isn't much ability for that to happen in the local area.
DerpyQuark

I really like the idea of a takeout breakfast. It saves time, reduces queues, and it sounds better then the cancelled burger vans.

Also bed linen AND a round of golf? £88-£123 is quite a good deal for this accomo, given it's on the Towers site.

What did you expect? Travelodge prices? This is Merlin we are talking about, and Merlin doesn't do those sort of prices.
chrisgeorgiou46

Wow! They look bigger than the size of my flat in London. Look at all that legroom!
seanyboyuk

The prices are just too high in my opinion. There is no way I’d pay more than £200 for a night with 2 day passes.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The latest update on TowersTimes News provides a look at the first stages of the pods being installed on site.

DerpyQuark

They look very nice, better than what I was expecting! Sure, there isn’t Europea-Park full-on theming, but at least they have character and they feel slightly magical.
Justin

I honestly see nothing special in them. The show pod was open during Scarefest and I took a look. Laying on the bed, being 6ft 1, my feet were over the edge and the beds were so narrow. There is no way I could stay in one. Even on the double, I'd have to lay diagonal.

To me, this isn't the biggest issue. It is the fact that the development has shared showering and toilet facilities.  Why this may be ok for some, I wouldn't like to stay in these if I was ill as it would be horrid to run across a field in order to reach a toilet. Also, if I had to visit in the night then the stroll in the dark doesn't appeal to me either. I'm not sure I'd feel safe! Hygiene also comes into play, and at the best of times, public toilets at parks are not nice places!

For what you get, the cost of these pods is high. My vote goes towards the other hotels and local b&bs in the area. It is such a shame that EV didn't expand and they opted for this! Of course, it will appeal to some families who may not be able to afford the hotels and this is a plus for the resort. I know they are not aimed at me and I remain interested in how they go down... I just hope they don't bump up the price of other accommodation offerings on the park!
ROYJESS

These are not for me, they should have gone for a Beornen, Wicker Man themed village and had Wicker Pods. 
Swarm Chris

Going back to the trademark applications that first pointed at the name of these pods, the original generic name Stargazing Pods, has been refused a trademark by the Intellectual Property Office

I believe that Alton were aware that this would be the likely outcome fairly early on, as a month after the initial application they put a second application in for the more specific Alton Towers Stargazing Pods, which has been successfully registered.

So no changes to branding are required by Alton, but it would appear someone already markets a Stargazing Pod experience - maybe even with the actual ability to do some stargazing - preventing Alton from having the generic brand name.
nicky.borrill

I would rather they create a good camping field, with hookups and a nice toilet block, so I could rock up with an Outwell Monty 6p... Far more comfortable than these pods  :lol
Swarm Chris

Just got an email from Merlin advertising the holiday sale now on, with Stargazing Pods from £156 per night. So at first glance that doesn't seem to be a sale. At second glance it's even more comical.

Prices based on 1 night with 2-days park tickets, 2 adults sharing, check-in 12th April, checkout 13th. If I've got it correct, this will be roughly in the school holidays.

Alton Towers Hotel: £229
Splash Landings: £187
Stargazing Pods: £189

If you drop it down to one person, it gets even worse.

Alton Towers Hotel: £186
Splash Landings: £144
Stargazing Pods: £156

So, at least we know the pods aren't pushing the other hotel prices up artificially. :lol

Edit: Incase the booking system should mysteriously go down :sus:, here are some screenshots.

ROYJESS

Looks like the prices of the hotels have gone up (including the 40% off early bird discount)
DerpyQuark

“Unique” sleeping experience... it isn’t like you can get the same experience elsewhere for under half the price...
ROYJESS

Swarm Chris wrote:Just got an email from Merlin advertising the holiday sale now on, with Stargazing Pods from £156 per night. So at first glance that doesn't seem to be a sale. At second glance it's even more comical.

Prices based on 1 night with 2-days park tickets, 2 adults sharing, check-in 12th April, checkout 13th. If I've got it correct, this will be roughly in the school holidays.

Alton Towers Hotel: £229
Splash Landings: £187
Stargazing Pods: £189

If you drop it down to one person, it gets even worse.

Alton Towers Hotel: £186
Splash Landings: £144
Stargazing Pods: £156

So, at least we know the pods aren't pushing the other hotel prices up artificially. :lol

Edit: Incase the booking system should mysteriously go down :sus:, here are some screenshots.

The prices have change for the better since my last post

Swarm Chris

Looks like they sent the email out before actually changing the prices then. :roll:

Splash Landings is still the cheapest accommodation though, which is interesting.
ROYJESS

The prices have only change within the last few hours.  

I think that they are trying to sell out the splash landings first.  Take the Firework Saturday, the Splash landings is the only resort hotel discounted.  

I should imagine that the pods are not the cheapest accommodation, as being new, there will be a demand for these.
ROYJESS

I've just notice why the difference in price between the searches.  The higher prices are showing with park tickets, so my mistake  :sick: