The World of David Walliams

Got an idea of how the Alton Towers Resort may develop over the coming seasons? Discuss it here.
DerpyQuark

I have read all of David Walliams’ children books, and so have a more informed idea about the new land. In the shop they could sell Bumfresh toilet roll (Billionare Boy) plush rats (Ratburger) products by “Mummy” (Demon Dentist) plush owls (Awful Auntie) toy aeroplanes (Grandpa’s Great Escape) and cars (Bad Dad) and plush Ice Monsters and “Fings”.
LoopinLiam

Walliam’s World Attractions Ideas
The Driving School could be rethemed to Bad Dad’s Union Jack Mini?
The old Nickelodeon : Outta Control building could be a playhouse or something.
The Theatre will probably have a new Walliam’s themed Show.
Any other suggestions?
Looping Liam/Theme Park Goose
Coaster Chall

The headline attraction will be The Story Of Gangsta Granny, through a dark ride (trackless or popcorn revenge type Alterface dark ride)
Toadstool site becomes Air Race/Sky Fly/Sky Roller themed to Grandpa's Great Escape
cookiee_munster

What would be great (but highly unlikely) is a completely new story for that area of the park that is still part of the David Walliams world but not solely based off different books he's written already. That way at least it's fresh, more original and may be a little more timeless/lasting.
Coaster Chall

I wonder if it will be like CBeebies Land, where we get news of the specific rides in January?
Coaster Chall

DeadJack5

David Walliams has revealed via his Twitter account that Gangsta Granny: The Ride will be the headline attraction in The World Of David Walliams which is opening at Alton Towers this season.

Appearing to be a car and track based dark ride, it will follow the story of one of his best-selling books and will form part of a new themed area based on his works.

[align=center]Image[/align]
monkeynips

Alton towers have posted a short clip on there channel explaining gangster granny ,also features plans which looks like the layout.
https://youtu.be/o-yjX1cdWIE
Muppet738

DeadJack5

As reported by TowersTimes News, Gangsta Granny: The Ride is arriving at Alton Towers this spring, providing the headline attraction in The World of David Walliams.

TowersTimes News looks at all the details of the new ride, as well as all the other information revealed today about the Resort’s newest themed area.

What are your thoughts on the unveiling of Gangsta Granny: The Ride?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

When rumours first emerged back in 2018 of a Gangsta Granny attraction, alongside the possibility of other attractions themed around David Walliams’ books, I was quite optimistic for the area, as I did think and do still think it is an IP well-suited to the Alton Towers brand.

However, I can’t really say that anything in today’s announcement gets me especially excited. Of course I’m not the target audience, but I do have concerns that those who visit for the land and “headline” attraction are going to be left underwhelmed and disappointed. The floorplan for Gangsta Granny: The Ride does suggest that its length is going to be relatively short, and the compact layout seems to mean that the different scenes have very little depth. There doesn’t seem to be anything especially groundbreaking about the ride, so hopefully what’s there will at the very least be well done, and result in a charming addition to the park. If it is successful, hopefully it will give Merlin more confidence to produce more ambitious dark ride projects.

Then there’s the rest of the area, which, in terms of attractions, will just consist of a rethemed Frog Hopper and Gallopers Carousel - not exactly the most compelling offering. It sounds as though Cuckoo Cars will remain awkwardly unchanged at one end of the land, and at the other will be the unused former site of Twirling Toadstool and the empty theatre building. It just seems a bit half-hearted.

When you see parks all around the world making major investments to coincide with their anniversary years, it’s a shame not to see the same repeated for Alton Towers (and indeed Thorpe Park last year).
abigsmurf

Was always going to be a small ride based on where it was built and the amount of time they have to build it. Looks like there's 6 scenes so assuming 30 seconds between cars the ride will be about three minutes long (assuming it's a stop start system, if it's continuous movement it could be longer or higher capacity).
lewis97
Admin
Admin

A first look at Gangsta Granny: The Ride has been shared on ITV Central.

The video shows the ride system in action, including some of the scenes of the ride, and a brief look at the area itself (which still seems be very much a work in progress).
Dom

One thing I will say is Merlin can do child ride themeing really well. It looks on par with Gruffalo and I think it will be a really fun ride.As long as they remember to theme the ceiling than it could be quite good. I'm actually a wee bit excited about trying it
Coaster Chall

I've never been to an opening day of the season... This season is different because of the quality of the new ride and the 40th anniversary birthday this year.
wamdue

abigsmurf wrote:Was always going to be a small ride based on where it was built and the amount of time they have to build it. Looks like there's 6 scenes so assuming 30 seconds between cars the ride will be about three minutes long (assuming it's a stop start system, if it's continuous movement it could be longer or higher capacity).
2 and half years, that is impressive in how long it was kept secret, it shows how much planning was done before the announcement of the ride.
Swarm Chris

As posted on TowersTimes social media, Gangsta Granny: The Ride will open on 21st March. Revealed as part of information about the 40th year celebrations at Alton Towers, the new ride will be joined by a week of Gangsta Granny activities during the May half-term.

Are you excited to experience this new attraction?
Dan

ICYMI, with Alton Towers open this weekend for Services Day events, this has allowed a look at the latest progress on The World Of David Walliams, in these images kindly provided by @ImmersiveMemes on Twitter.

A themed entrance feature has been added, buildings throughout the area have received a colourful repaint, and work on what appears to be Gangsta Granny: The Ride's exterior queueline is underway.

Will you be visiting when the finished area opens in two weeks' time?

Coaster Chall

I think as a starting area, with just one major story as well as Raj's introduction, it is a fantastic refurbishment. But it is definitely a phase one development. It will be expanded in the future to include the Theatre, Driving School and Alton Towers Dungeon site. Maybe one year Royal Carousel moves somewhere else and the Toadstool site gets filled too but I highly doubt that
Hello Tom

The lack of posts in this thread demonstrates how uninterested everyone is in this.

They can make rides and family areas like Hex and Sharkbait reef - really good. But now an inflatable arch is deemed ‘on point’?

I’m not the intended audience, nor do I have children. All I can say is that, for everyone else, this looks like ‘cheap tat’ for UK’s supposed leading theme park. I do hope it exceeds expectations and can be enjoyed by all. Children are smart and aren’t going to be amused with crap that has been plastered with their favourite characters to ‘appease them’. If you’re going to make a whimsical ride you’ve got to shoot for ‘Splash Mountain’ not Kadabra.

Again, fingers crossed this is actually awesome. But I won’t be heading to AT this year.