Efteling

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Jack

One moment while I pick my jaw up off the floor...

I am genuinely amazed by this ride, Efteling have done an insanely good job of theming it as well as getting the colours absolutely perfect. I don't think there is a more beautiful ride opening this year! :)
Morgan

This IS the most beautiful coaster I have ever seen! Cheers Lewis!
Capt.Barnacles

It does look incredible, just wish I could get over there and ride it! :)
Ladyofthelake

Efteling have officially confirmed that Baron 1898 will be opening on July 1st. Loopings, who previously reported that they suspected that would be the opening date , have confirmed the information on their website.

The dive coaster has been testing with its first train since the 8th May. The 2nd of three trains arrived at the start of this week, and train three is due to be delivered on 1st June.

Work is also continuing around the ride area. Lockers have been placed next to the ride for guests to store their belongings whilst on the coaster, and a pizza and milkshake restaurant is located near to the exit of the ride. Although a seemingly odd choice, the decision to offer milkshakes links in nicely with the theme of the ride as workers in the Dutch miners would enjoy a drink of milk after a long day working in the mines.

A test seat has also arrived on site which will be located in front of the ride entrance. There will also be not one, but two pre-shows inside the station building helping to build up the atmosphere before you embark on the coaster itself. For those who are curious about what is inside the building but don't want to ride the coaster, there is rumoured to be a 'chicken exit' to enable you to leave before the boarding station.

I am getting more excited for this coaster with every update I see. Can't wait to ride it later this year :)

[All images taken from loopings.nl]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The latest episode of The Making of Baron 1898 provides a look at the creation of the ride's soundtrack, with the video including a short segment of it, and also covers the ride's first test run. It's really great to see the genuine passion for the project of all those involved, which no doubt contributes to the creation of the authentic ride experience that this is looking to be.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

With less than a month until opening and the major construction work complete, attention has turned to the theming and other details around the site. Here are some of the latest photos from Vijfzintuigen!

Capt.Barnacles

Another episode of 'The making of Baron 1898' is up, showing the adding of the last details and programming of the show elements. This whole ride looks absolutely amazing!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It really does look incredibly authentic and immersive!

A few days ago Efteling announced on Facebook that an 'adventure story' has been written surrounding Baron 1898, with the book being released in September. I really like the look of some of the concept images and plans that it contains.

Baron 1898 has also completed its first manned test runs, with less than two weeks to go until the ride opens to the public.

Aidan Lowe

Each installment of the rides construction and development leaves me more and more gobsmacked. Not only is it intriguing for enthusiasts to see a rides progression during construction but just shows you in this case how much hard work and love has gone into it.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Themeparksandy1981

Why can't Alton Towers get a good themed ride like this
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Looopings have provided some insight into Baron 1898's preshows (the translation's a little dodgy in places):
Visitors who pass the entrance of Baron in 1898, ending up in an old gold mine. They walk into the dressing room, which can accommodate just 36 people. In this closed space the first show is staged. The greedy Baron Gustave Hooghmoed, the main character of the attraction, has placed two projection screens in this room. With pictures shown on one screen and an English translation on the other screen, he explains to the guests that they are miners who will receive their helmet. Gustave Hooghmoed promises to his miners mountains of gold lie ahead in the offing. In the middle of the room there is a remarkable record player that plays music of the attraction.

Visitors hear the mining baron telling them in Dutch: "With my cathedral of steel you descend to the deepest caverns." He also says in English: "I welcome all of you miners from abroad in my beautiful mine." The voice of Hooghmoed is known as voiced by actor Paul Gorcum, the famous Baron from 'Bassie en Adriaan (old Dutch tv serie).

After that, the projectors wich designed as old episcopes supposedly broken. By Using modern projection techniques the Witte Wieven (mythical creatures who are trying to warn us.) appear on the walls They sing that the group must go back. "U zijt gewaarschuwd." ("You have been warned.")

Hooghmoed is angry about this "superstition" and recommends his miners they should not listen to the Witte Wieven. He gives his miners the order to continue walking into the next room, the salary space. There, visitors will see the main character for the first time 'in person'. At the top of the stairs is a sophisticated talking animatronic who must represent the baron.

The animatronic encourages the group to walk through the boarding hall, where your transport will be prepared. In the second show Gustave Hooghmoed tells foreign guests to look at the instructions above the doors. The baron laughs, but also looks haughty. He ends with the best wishes 'Gluckauf!".

Then the doors open towards the boarding hall. The trains with eighteen seats are ready. They bring the guests towards the boiler house, where the lift hill starts.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

With only a week to go until its opening, various finishing details have been added around the ride area and to the trains. There are a few more photos to be found on Vijfzintuigen, but I've included most below!

With various elements of the ride being designed with international guests in mind, such as the information boards, the English pre-show translation and the fact that the ride's name in itself can be understood in a range of languages, it's clear Efteling see this investment as a way to firmly assert themselves as an international theme park destination.

[align=center]Image

Image[/align]
Tom

So excited to see this ride in person! :D
Luce

I'm really impressed with this, the theming is really great and I'd love to go back to Efteling to ride it too :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The chimney's smoke effect was being tested today, as well as the queue time screens. The various signs have also been added to the signpost, and I like that there's one to point guests in the direction of Baron 1898 just in case they're struggling to see it :P

Source: Vijfzintuigen
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Just wow :O It was shown in action in latest 'Making Of' video, but I really like the secondary dispatch button on the lever at the front of the station, it really just captures the essence of how Efteling have approached this ride.

[align=center]Image

Image[/align]

There are a few more shots from Beeld Werkt, taken throughout the project, to be found here.
Ladyofthelake

Each time we see an update on this it just gets better and better. The attention to detail is just incredible. Can't wait until I get to ride this later this year! :)
Dan

I can't believe the amount of detail Efteling have gone to with this project, it's absolutely phenomenal.

Can't wait to see it in action :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I believe the live stream of Baron 1898's official opening starts in about 15 minutes - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: On ride POV now online
Aidan Lowe

That mist <3 also watch in 4k resolution.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc