Efteling

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Ladyofthelake

According to this article delivery of the first of three trains is due to be later this week, which suggests testing may be imminent (once the construction is signed off by the relevant Dutch safety authorities). The second train is due in mid May, with the third and final train delivered at the end of May. Hopefully, once testing has begun, we will get an opening date from the park - the article suggests the park has an opening date in mind but don't yet want to reveal it.

Also mentioned is the soundtrack for the ride. It's been composed by Efteling composer Rene Merkelbach and recorded by symphony orchestra Brussels Philharmonic in a major Belgian recording studio - it certainly sounds like the soundtrack could potentially be fairly impressive.

The more I hear about this coaster, the more I want to go ride it!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Here are some photos from today of the ongoing theming work around the ride, including the lift hill feature, and the installation of fences. There are a few more photos here.

Tom

Yay! Still looking awesome, so excited to see this in testing.

Will be booking up the moment a date is announced.
Dom

I must admit, this coaster is looking just amazeballs. Even the small details are high themed and so much thought and effort has gone into this coaster. It is deffinately making me want to visit.
Capt.Barnacles

The latest episode of the making of Baron 1898 has been posted today, this one covers the completion of the track layout, the installation of the lift hill wheels and offers a look at the station's interior theming. It states that the wheels will not constantly move but stop when the train is briefly stopped on the holding brake.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lewis97
Admin
Admin

There's quite a large selection of photos over on Vijfzintuigen from today, with the lift hill bell feature being attached and continued progress on details around the site.

[align=center]Image[/align]

lewis97
Admin
Admin

The first train has been delivered to the site.

Source: Vijfzintuigen
Capt.Barnacles

This was posted on NoLimits Exchange not long ago. A sign that we may see testing soon! :)
Capt.Barnacles

Apologies for the double post but Baron is testing! Currently testing without the holding brake, just like Oblivion: The Black Hole at Gardaland was.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Was just about to post all these photos when your post popped up! Exciting stuff, it looked pretty quick through the Immelmann unlike Oblivion: The Black Hole so I looked forward to seeing how it rides the rest of the circuit.

Once again plenty of photos have been posted over on Vijfzintuigen from today. Queue line fences as well as foliage have been going in around the site alongside other details, and a train sitting at the back end of the station.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Some official photos of testing from Efteling's twitter. I assume the on-ride shot means there'll be a POV at some point.

Themeparksandy1981

One downer about this coaster and that's how is the park allowed to get away with building low fences that most older kids could climb over and enter the ride area.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Some more footage of testing from today. They currently appear to be pushing it over the first drop.

Here's another video taken from the other end of the site.
Dan

Thanks for bringing us all these updates Lewis :)

As this coaster gets closer to completion it just looks better and better. The amount of detail Efteling are going to is phenomenal and I think this will end up being a better all round experience than Oblivion: The Black Hole, purely because of the theming.

Can't wait to get out there and ride it!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Apologies for overloading you with Baron 1898 testing footage, but here's some more anyway. It looks as though they're paying a lot of attention to the top of the lift hill where the train will transition through some fly wheels whilst attached to the lift hill chain, which will then act also as the holding brake at the crest of the drop.
Aidan Lowe

From TPR: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Goes straight over the hill now.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Looopings are reporting that Baron 1898 will open on 1st July.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

This video shows that the holding brake is now operational.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Here are some really awesome shots of Baron 1898 testing, now without dummies, which were posted of Vijfzituigen. I really like how the trains have been accented with gold, using the harness bars, belt buckles, platform between the cars and even the wheels.

Ladyofthelake

The attention to detail on the theming throughout this coaster is just stunning and the fact this is followed through right down to the trains is amazing. I've always enjoyed both rides and parks for the theming rather than the technical side of things which is why I am so excited for this coaster :)