Carnival of Screams (Retired)

What rides and attractions do you miss? Share your memories of Alton Towers' extensive past here.
S.J_O'Grady

Just because it was my favourite maze, it'd be great if anyone could remember the 2013 incarnation of it in detail? I would be very impressed if someone did remember every part of it but if you can I'm looking for a sort of written walkthrough. :-s :-k

All I remember from it was the living dummy, the outdoor barker scene, dotty room, trommel tunnel, chequered room, clowns popping out from behind posters, and the knife finale. What else?
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
silenthillXD

You're in luck! I actually wrote a full run-through of the maze after I did it all the way back in 2013. Great maze to be honest. Not the best at Alton by any means, but it would've been nice to have seen it transported to Thorpe instead of The Big Top.

This was written for a friend who was nervous about going in, so sorry for all the 'it's not scary' parts. :lol
You start off getting batched into group, so don't worry you won't get attacked the second you enter the clowns mouth. After the rules are explained you go into a tent with a fortune telling dummy, you are told to wait until he has stopped. It's kinda obvious he's a real person, and he will jump out on the people in the middle/back of the line. Then he opens the tent and let's you outside, as you pass him he'll probably try to make you jump.

Outside there is a fat clown, he don't really try to scare you, but be warned he might make you sniff his belly button... He explains the plot about Jack Knife, who's knife throwing performance killed somebody. They then let you in the main tent.

The first scare in there is a police clown jumps at the front and hides then jumps out at the people in the middle passing. Then you go into the big squeeze, which is basically two massive air bags, at the front it's really claustrophobic, but in the middle it's fine. Then there's a long corridor with bright coloured wonky door frames, be warned clowns do hide behind and to the side of the frames, so you will probably get caught anywhere you are in the line. After the long corridor it goes into a passage of mirrors, again clowns hide out of sight and will jump out loads, again anywhere in the line can get caught here. Then you go into the find MR dot room, he's basically a guy in a black and multicoloured spot morph suit, and considering the room is the same black and multicoloured pattern it's hard to spot him. But he doesn't do much, he just attempts to jump out at you, but doesn't actually make any noise unlike the others.

After that you go through a tunnel that spins around you as you walk through it, it's rather disorientating! Then after this there's a part where you have to duck/crawl under a very low ceiling and be warned actors sometimes wait in there, or at the end of it. Then you go into the puppet room, which has many evil looking clown puppets hanging on the wall, only one is an actor, but wherever you are he will try to make you jump.

Finally you're near the end, you go through a long chequered corridor, where the clown is wearing a chequered outfit too, so can be hard to spot especially in the strobes. Again he attacks everyone along the line, so keep your eyes pealed, he will appear on your left.

Then you arrive at the finale. First you arrive at the theatre entrance corridor, there will be a ticket seller in the booth, but she only jumps at the front of the line, but as you walk past her she may jump at you. Once you enter the theatre she will warn you to get ready to run, don't worry it's not too bad. Basically Jack Knife comes out and there's a voice over which explains the plot, be warned, when the VoiceOver says, Jack can see you, but can you see Jack, he lurches out at the people near the front of the stage, which could be anyone. Then he starts throwing his knifes at the board, then on the third knife it says, this knife is for you, he pretends to slit his throat, then he comes running at the audience waving his knifes at you. Basically you run out the exit and that's it!
S.J_O'Grady

Perfect, thanks! Really hope they do another circus themed scare maze in the future, they're my favourite kind - clowns are awesome!!
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
silenthillXD

It's not a clown maze as such, but did you see Festino's forgotten funhouse at Screamland? It's by far the best carnival/circus attraction I have ever been through, even beating CoS 2013!